When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you own a Cartier?

vmena

I have a cartier tank ETA 2000, like it a lot but its a little small next to my panerais but a nice change when wearing something smart.

I bought one a couple of months ago. I will take some wristshots. For me, it's not one I wear all the time like my other ones but I do like it. I think it has something to do with the strap and it just doesn't "size" right on the wrist as it moves around and it is a big watch.

//Cheers

Ohhh.... and I know this sounds crazy but the buckle is wide which makes it a tough fit in the old winder. I know, silly, but every time I take it out I think twice becasue I have to put it back in later.

Two snap shots!

240192-10059.jpg

240192-10060.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that's the 21 jewel, not the ETA version, correct? To my eye, the ETA face is generally more accurate with the exception being the placement of the T Swiss T or "Swiss Made" (cannot recall which for this model), which seems to be accurate on the 21 jewel oddly enough...

If I'm not mistaken, that's the 21 jewel, not the ETA version, correct? To my eye, the ETA face is generally more accurate with the exception being the placement of the T Swiss T or "Swiss Made" (cannot recall which for this model), which seems to be accurate on the 21 jewel oddly enough...

No... ETA!

I took the pic from the official site to compare with the listed watch from our dealers and Joshua seems to be the winner, since is he only one with the correct Swiss Made wording in the right position... but all have missing "Automatic" and the horrible electric blue hands... to easy to spot...

Genuine from Cartier's site:

241549-9654.jpg

Joshua's:

241549-9655.jpg

Looks like Paul has one with ETA 2671 movement and correct dial printing and case back which is rare. The hands appear correct as well but there is no price. Maybe it is coming soon?

And king has a nice one with the newer style dial and gold hands along with automatic printing.

I'm sure either one is available in SS as well.

post-1628-1178127331_thumb.jpg

post-1628-1178127346_thumb.jpg

I have a cartier tank ETA 2000, like it a lot but its a little small next to my panerais but a nice change when wearing something smart.

Don't know much about the Santos but I had a Tortue. It was damn accurate, but I would still caution against it (and most other simple dress watch reps) if you're an accuracy nut like me. I may have taken things too far at this point, but I think the simpler and dressier a watch is, the easier it is to tell rep from gen even if everything is "1:1." Gen makers know that the simpler the watch the more they have to obsess over fit and finish details. The tortue rep just didn't have that gen...I don't know...smoothness. Hard to pin down. Pics just don't pick up the intangibles.

I wish they'd make the dumont in solid 18k a la the FM Casablanca (which shows that when doing a watch truly 1:1, including fit and finish, makes economic sense the Chinese are perfectly capable of doing it) That baby would immediately become a Cartier collectors' holy grail.

When i was in my late teens i was Cartier nut !!! i owned a gen new generation santos as well as a rep equivelent ( both shockingly lost in toilets: the rep in a mcdonalds truck stop the gen in a bar in Capri, It - just goes to show you can't trust a 18 year old kid with expensive goods even if he saved up all of highschool to get one ) ... my dad has an old gen santos ... gotta say i prefer the old gen santos over the new gen ones... and i am on the fence about the 100... one thing i pretty certain of is the rep factories haven't been able to repropduce faithfully is the linkage between - well- the links ( of the bracelet ) i guess not so much of an issue if you are going to wear it on leather. i don't know too much about what our dealers are selling - i have been tempted soo many times to go and place an order for a rep santos but knowing my history with cartiers and losing them in restrooms i think i will cut my losses ... that being said I think the santos is an amazing watch and by far, imho, the classiest Cartier out there .

i have been tempted soo many times to go and place an order for a rep santos but knowing my history with cartiers and losing them in restrooms i think i will cut my losses
Wow, that is amazing. How did the watch get too far down to save? Was it pre or post flush? Number one or two? What would make you not stick your hand in the toilet to retrieve a $3,000 watch?

If you buy the 100 44mm version it wouldn't fit down the toilet :p ...

...I don't know...smoothness. Hard to pin down. Pics just don't pick up the intangibles.

I had a gen two tone chronoflex perpetual calender and all. Great watch. I know what you mean by the smoothness. It's all about fit and finish. No sharp edges. A bracelet that flows without kinks and an overall silky smooth feel.

Wow, that is amazing. How did the watch get too far down to save? Was it pre or post flush? Number one or two? What would make you not stick your hand in the toilet to retrieve a $3,000 watch?

no they didn't fall down the toilet... i left them both by sinks when i was washing my hands ( force of habit even with WR watches ) the McD's one was just pure absent mindedness the bar in Capri was me being really incredibly drunk .... needless to say ... i went back the next morning to see if anyone turned it to the management ... nix ... you live ... you learn... and you come to appriecate that one should only start drinking G&Ts after 11 am at the earliest ...

I posted this in the other Cartier thread going, I'll ask this here also.

Isn't the standard Santos a really small watch? The dealers specs are 29 x29mm case.

I'd like one but I can't see wearing one that small.

What do you guys think?

no they didn't fall down the toilet... i left them both by sinks when i was washing my hands ( force of habit even with WR watches ) the McD's one was just pure absent mindedness the bar in Capri was me being really incredibly drunk .... needless to say ... i went back the next morning to see if anyone turned it to the management ... nix ... you live ... you learn... and you come to appriecate that one should only start drinking G&Ts after 11 am at the earliest ...

The moral of the story: Don't go into a bathroom when you are wearing a gen. Even if you end up peeing in your pants, it's just not worth the risk. :bangin: :yucky:

The moral of the story: Don't go into a bathroom when you are wearing a gen. Even if you end up peeing in your pants, it's just not worth the risk. :bangin: :yucky:

i own several gens from rolexes to omegas and have ( since not ownig a gen cartier) been to public restrooms wearing one and not lost one!!!! i think cartiers and me are not meant to be ... although i have one gen platinum Cartier pen that was a gift from a signing that is in a closet 3k miles away in its box in my NYC sock drawer ... :winkiss:

@rek001

I hate the fact that oversized watches (ie PAMs of which i own one rep- which i am wearing as i speak) have become the norm for size in wristwatches... the santos and panthre are comprable to the size of a rolex datejust ... as size which i think is more then adequate... i have nothing to compensate for

Rags

The DateJust case size is 36mm, quite a bit larger than the Santos.

I have a 6.5 " wrist and I produced an accurate size xerox of the Santos, cut it out and wrapped it around my wrist, it looked very small IMO.