When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

just measured the crown on the 111i......interesting!

flavor flav

Flav-

That is very interesting. Especially in light of how the crown on the I series appears to line up at more than 50% of the depth of the hole on the CG. I was aware that all the crowns were 1.9 in the A-G series. And in truth some rep crowns look very good. What I concluded a while ago was that it is not the crown that makes the biggest difference (assuming it is not a really thin one). It is the crown guard. Most rep CG's are either out of proper proportion or more importantly have the wrong size hole. When you put a Palp 2.1 into a Jimmy CG the crown looks great but way too big relative to the CG. When you put it into some of the CG's with larger holes it looks very close to gen. The other big contributant to the different aesthetic is the much larger recess under the lip. Although the crowns have generally always been 1.9 the shaping of the bevel on the crown has evolved. a Pre-A - B series crown tends to have a much "deeper" bevel than C-G. I have never owned a gen later than a G but it looks like the bevel has been changed again.

- Kruz

Flav-

That is very interesting. Especially in light of how the crown on the I series appears to line up at more than 50% of the depth of the hole on the CG. I was aware that all the crowns were 1.9 in the A-G series. And in truth some rep crowns look very good. What I concluded a while ago was that it is not the crown that makes the biggest difference (assuming it is not a really thin one). It is the crown guard. Most rep CG's are either out of proper proportion or more importantly have the wrong size hole. When you put a Palp 2.1 into a Jimmy CG the crown looks great but way too big relative to the CG. When you put it into some of the CG's with larger holes it looks very close to gen. The other big contributant to the different aesthetic is the much larger recess under the lip. Although the crowns have generally always been 1.9 the shaping of the bevel on the crown has evolved. a Pre-A - B series crown tends to have a much "deeper" bevel than C-G. I have never owned a gen later than a G but it looks like the bevel has been changed again.

- Kruz

My Pre-A crown seems to be the same as my 112I series crown (the part that is outside of the case) :)

I have been telling people the gens have thinner crowns for a over a year.....people still like those fat ones that are a sure tell as a rep.

My Pre-A crown seems to be the same as my 112I series crown (the part that is outside of the case) :)

I have been telling people the gens have thinner crowns for a over a year.....people still like those fat ones that are a sure tell as a rep.

But like kruzer points out, it's all in the gap. An optical illusion. The aftermarket crowns certainly are too thick but unless you carry a caliper around with you, they're better because of the visual relationship between the crown and the guard.

I used to wonder why the hell anyone would want to put a 2.1mm crown on their watch until I threw an OEM guard on my 051--instantaneously the rep crown looked perfect instead of slightly too thin. Everyone said even the thin 40mm crowns were too thin, but as it turns out they're actually dead on. When kruzer noticed the same thing when he installed his Jimmy guard w/ a supposedly also too thin lello crown I figured what happened was that the chinese were getting a lot of crowns right and that it never occured to any of us (pr the factories, apparently) that the guards and not the crowns were source of the problem. Now we know that the latest crown s are still 1.9, which means that the H series rep guards are also too gappacious, so to speak, as well as too non-halfcircleish, and unthickish. Flav, can you do us a big favor and measure the gen's guard's "gap?" that way we would know how thick of crowns we need to source for our H series rep guards.

Definitelly the biggest visual contributor to the 'thin crown' appearance would be slightly accentuated crown bevel angle and cut, IMO.

I played with two rep crowns some time ago, both 1.9mm, one with the larger bevel, another with almost no bevel at all (maybe they forgot to do it in the factory, or was a test one-off run), and the visual diference it made was amazing. The one with smaller bevel looks dead on with the gen. Also the gap between the crown and the CG wasn't that noticable anymore, somehow.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

How about this for a gap?

Not worse than gen PAM241, actually spot-on, IMO.

Autos normally have thinner crown and larger CG gap to allow time/date setting.

Go to Panerai official site and compare :)

cheers,

babola