When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steelfish with Asian 2813

montydog

Hi,

Can anyone who has the cheaper steelfish with the asian 2813 movement and no AR give me some feedback on how their watch is performing. I'm seriously tempted to go for the cheaper one with a white face to get round the lack of AR but I'm a little worried about the 2813 movement. What's the consensus?

Thanks

M

Hi,

Can anyone who has the cheaper steelfish with the asian 2813 movement and no AR give me some feedback on how their watch is performing. I'm seriously tempted to go for the cheaper one with a white face to get round the lack of AR but I'm a little worried about the 2813 movement. What's the consensus?

Thanks

M

ahhh... the steelfish lite... i've got one and it works like a charm. no problem whatsoever as long as the lack of AR doesn't bother you, this is a steal! but check that the date clicks on the dot at 12am though. when choosing dial colour, i originally wanted white but the date on that one didn't click at midnight so i settled for a blue dial instead which worked perfectly. you know what some of these reps are like, lack of QC so we've got to do our own. good luck! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have a blue dial on SS band light model..let me tell you i love it, the lack of AR doesn't bother me one bit. And still gets the compliments while i'm on the street. It's big bulky and heavy just the way I like it.

Date changes on the dot, and keeps very descent time, the sweep is impressive date fond and it's allignment are pot only minor flaw Ive noticed is the date goes a bit off center when it reaches about the 22-24 but only a slight off to the right..No one would even notice unless you stare at it for a good amount of time.

And the lume is fantastic for a rep, mine has some good lume considering some of the first blue dial versions had a bit of lumpyness to the hour markers but i was lucky I guess. I hear the recently purchased ones are much better overall in that respect

Hi,

I'm waiting for mine, so I will come with pics, and probably a micro-review some days after.

Sonicwinter : was the lack of AR disturbing on the white ?

Personally, I feel any sort of AR is a bonus when it comes to buying reps these days. For me, I always make sure the rep looks as accurate as possible to the original and that always remains top priority for me. AR is a bonus and even then, there are lots of reps which just add a blue tint and try to pass that off as AR.

So, in short, no the lack of AR didn't matter that much to me but if you'd rather go for the complete look, you might want to consider the Swiss version of the Steelfish which I believe comes with decent AR on it. If not, the lite Asian version does a pretty decent job for what you're paying. But trust me, you'll love the watch no less!

Rxus is spot on with his comments and observations! I totally agree about the weight and the lume and the slightly 'crooked' date but it doesn't bother me one bit! I just wear another watch whenever it comes to those 'crooked' days! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

BTW Pix, nice picture of the VC Overseas in your avatar. I own the exact same one with white dial and it's also the Asian Lite version. Very nicely built and almost flawless (even the bracelet is well made and lacks the sharpness found on most Swiss Rolexes) and not to mention, great price as well. So much so I'm thinking of getting the one with the Black dial just to add to my collection!

Guest sjako

I've got one from batch number one (white dial). Keeps perfect time, looks great and breathes quality. I like it almost as much as my VC overseas white :thumbsupsmileyanim:

IMHO you can not go wrong with this one.

BTW Pix, nice picture of the VC Overseas in your avatar. I own the exact same one with white dial and it's also the Asian Lite version. Very nicely built and almost flawless (even the bracelet is well made and lacks the sharpness found on most Swiss Rolexes) and not to mention, great price as well. So much so I'm thinking of getting the one with the Black dial just to add to my collection!

Thank you ! ^_^

In this case, I got the Swiss version thanks to Saswatch who offered a very decent price. I was not a fan of it until I read so many good reviews on the thing...And all were right ! I just love it !

Today I received my Steelfish ! Ordered last saturday... That's faster than a purchase on ebay in my own country ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And guess what ? You were all right ! This watch is awesome, and I am surprised of the qualtity you can get for a little bit more than 150 dollars... Impressive, really. For me the finish of the watch is probably better than my Overseas, which is already close to excellent. The bracelet of the Overseas remain the best I've seen to date (except the screws which are really b*tch*s)

Well, to be honest, let's say it's very different. As the Steelfish has so many little parts and a rotating bezel, whereas the Overseas breathes simplicity. So it's not fair to compare.

Back to the Breitling, then, ok, I've an Asian movement. But it really sweeps like my Swiss ones. I DO hope it will last. Up to now I never met any problem with my 21J asians...so... Let's pray.

For the lack of AR coating, I must agree that it's a plus to have it. And here the dial is so beautiful that it can only looks far better with AR. But let's be honest too : the thick mineral glass without AR is just amazing and very good. White dials with a flat glass are visually very good too.

And it's more or less half the price.

If I get the opportunity to get a good bargain with the Swiss version with AR, I will surely not hesitate one second ! But, hey, let's enjoy this one first. :group:

BTW, I received 2 Steel bracelets... :blink:

I will post pictures within this week-end and hope to do this watch justice.

Thank you all for having convinced me purchasing my first Breitling. Before the Steelfish, I never had a look in this section, I was thinking that Breitling was just too much for me. Well, how wrong I was ! :Jumpy:

An other question to be seriously raised.

Until now, I have always tested the crystal (sapphire or mineral) with the water drop test. And it appeared to be reliable, at least against what was announced in the descriptions I read.

Of course I tried the test on my new "thick mineral glass" Breitling... and the drop stays... So, can anyone help to find an other method to check if this Superocean is really mineral or finally maybe sapphire ...??

Ihavn't performedn any test but i beleive it is stated to be mineral (thick mineral for that matter ^_^ ) Besides the watch looks superb, congrats on your purchase and as they see around these parts Wear it well my friend.

Ihavn't performedn any test but i beleive it is stated to be mineral (thick mineral for that matter ^_^ ) Besides the watch looks superb, congrats on your purchase and as they see around these parts Wear it well my friend.

Yes, I know indeed that the dealers announce "thick mineral". I had no doubt until I made this water drop test.

Generally when an information is wrong, it's never in that way.

But who knows ?

It's probably in the dealer's interest to have both models as different as possible, and convince the buyer to choose the 300+ dollars model.

It's already the exact same case, dial and bracelet. The official differences are the movement (most important), AR coating (very sexy feature) and sapphire/mineral. But is it productive to use different parts ? Let me be naive and hope that in fact we got sapphire.

I read once something with the color to make the difference. I don't find where anymore.

Hmm mine doesn't look "dirty" i guess it doesn't bother me that it's mineral and the lack of AR, i'm certain the only people who would notice such a thing is an RWG member.lol or an AD (but i doubt they even know that much, besides I would never take it there to test)

Otherwise the watch is great in it's two variations, everyone is enjoying them, a definte must have

What's your feeling about these pics ?

First is my TAG SLR. Advertized by some dealers as mineral, and by others (TT and PC) as synthetic sapphire. The drop stays, but it looks opaque looked at a certain angle.

Then the Breitling. Drop stays, no yellowish or dirt effect. On a 90 degrees angle I have a loupe (magnifying glass) effect, so I can't really see the dial anymore, but it does not look yellowish/dirty at all. Maybe that's due to the 5 mm crystal thickness.

So, is it sapphire ? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

242399-9460.jpg

242399-9461.jpg

Hey...The more I look at it, the more I can't believe its price...

Did you notice the drops have not the same shape ? :bangin:

• 2 weeks later...