When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modifying the date window on a noobmariner

Hi all,

I thought I'd share this experiment. The noobmariner features a smaller and more accurate date window than most sub reps. Unfortunately, I've always felt it was too small. I know some people will agree with me, others not so much. The issue is not the magnification, but the size of the date window itself which is too tight to the numbers, especially in the vertical dimension.

So, I simply took a very small file and enlarged it ever so slightly. The "damage" is limited to the inside edge which gets a bit of very high gloss black lacquer rubbed on with a toothpick.

Here's the result. This is a stock noob with a new crown, CG mod, and the date window change. The crown is from another rep. For some reason the window looks a bit off kilter in the photo, but it is square in person with nice sharp corners. This is a pretty good photo for me :whistling: . Anyhow, you can get a sense of the size.

243578-9106.jpg

I don't see a huge difference... but yeah, some very small things might start annoying us with the reps, although most people probably could never notice.

Glad that small mod made you happier. Enjoy... it's very good rep of the stainless Sub.

243579-9105.jpg

I too am a little bothered by the small date window of some of my watches, but I never had the nerve to actually do what you did, being too scared about ruining the dial (I also took in consideration some kind of square hole press/puncher rather than a file, in hope that it makes neater borders).

Maybe that your experience now makes me bold enough to have my own try at it. Thanks for sharing!