When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bargain Basement 'Light Tent'

Markus

Had a bit of spare time at work today and thought I'd try and put together somekind of 'Light Tent' using things that cost as little as possible and came up with something that seems to work quite well.

I was on the lookout for something plastic and opaque and found an empty detergent container...

22594-1687.jpg

Got a craft knife and cut off the top...

22594-1688.jpg

Then turned it upside down and cut a hole in the side...

22594-1689.jpg

As I don't have a tripod I took a strip of metal and placed it in a vice and attached it to my camera, lining it up with the hole in the plastic container...

22594-1690.jpg

Put the watch inside, lined up the camera, set it to macro, turned the flash off set the self timer going...

Pics to follow...

get u about three of those daylight bulbs u can buy anywhere they coil and look like a flourescent tube and put it in those shop lamp with the clips on them and place them accordingly and u may be cooking with something then

All I can say is...my home brewed light box was a disaster. It looked like an explosion of plastic, tissue paper, and scotch tape. Needless to say, it was a little too complicated to work with...so, now I just go outside to shoot. Natural light and shade work well with my digital.

Nice work there!

Put the watch inside, lined up the camera, set it to macro, turned the flash off set the self timer going...

Nice. I recognise that camera. It's a Finepix A204, the same as I used in my tutorials.

Try sneaking a bit of paper into the 'tent'. Tape it to the back top and curve it to the bottom of the window or something. :)

I love these homebrew tents, and I particularly like this 'tripod'. I should photograph my current botch-job. :D

Nice. I recognise that camera. It's a Finepix A204, the same as I used in my tutorials.

Try sneaking a bit of paper into the 'tent'. Tape it to the back top and curve it to the bottom of the window or something. :)

I love these homebrew tents, and I particularly like this 'tripod'. I should photograph my current botch-job. :D

Well spotted Pugwash! It is indeed a Finepix A204! I'll give the paper idea a try, thanks for the tip!

Glad you like the 'tripod'! :D

Excellent work on the light tent, Markus! You might want to try two or three of each of these for lighting. (I use one over the top, one on each side.)

"one over the top, one on each side" that one too many. Try using two light, one top and one side or just one light. Your picture will have more depth (3D), shadow create depth in picture. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...