When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An alternative movement to the Unitas 6497

Tom

I am thinking about putting together a Panerai Radiomir project at the moment and will have the work done by professionals (coming your way The Zigmeister)

I have been thinking about the mechanism and essentially I want something a little bit different to see through the caseback - I guess I am just bored of looking at the standard 6497. I love the reworked mechanisms that Touby does but can't really stretch to $700 however unique and beautiful they are (I am referring to the amazing PVD one he has)

Does anyone know of any mechanism that would fit a Radiomir case with a bit of professional jigging? I know that the 6497 is a standard pocket watch mechanism so wondered if there were any other beautiful mechanisms out there that would fit.

This is a bit of a newbie question as it involves the techincal knowhow I don't have but I will have it done by a pro and I am sure someone must have thought about replacing the 6497 in a project!!

Edited by Tom

If you were looking at a small budget the a molnija, would fit and would be a good movement once seviced, have a look at davidsens vintage style ones with the rolex plates. like this one

when they are nice and clean and with out the plates they look OK, the money you save getting one would alow you the have a bit of polishing done to the bridges, they are cheep look here, the more you look the cheeper you will find one.

I recently bought a gold 6497 movement from a Bulova pocket watch. It is really nicely finished with a circular swirling finish on the main cogs rather than the sunburst finish. The plates have a chamfered edge and are the same shape as the preV Panerai plates without the cut outs where the clamp screws go. Alternatively the CDG finished Swiss 6497 movements are top class and look really well under display backs.