When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Florida Residents. Do you see what is going on?

jfreeman420

Saw this today. It seems like every time I step outside I smell BBQ. This is really horrible. People have to stop tossing cigarette butts and being careless. These fires are all burning now and continue to spread. If this continues there will be no more Florida.

post-1628-1178736746_thumb.jpg

FLA, you guys are not alone in the mayhem.

SoCal is always burning because of ingrate idiots who decide that tossing a cig butt or playing with matches/lighters is a lotta fun on a 95 degree day with 35mph winds and a relative humidity of 20% or less. Idiots.

I have to say, this is another phenomena that is unique to the US, or at least the Western Hemisphere... how is it ok to toss used butts to the ground.. even if you stomp them out.. I have to admit, I did it myself when I smoked (gave them up about 18 yrs ago) and I cannot for the life of me understand why I thought it was OK.

People who would never think about otherwise littering think this is acceptable. I don't get it.

Dry vegetation plus wind equals fire eventually. True, the idiot with a cigarette might have started it, but it just as well could have been a back firing car or a lightning strike. Fire is nature's way of clearing out the dead overgrowth and it is going to happen. The problem is that we've encroached upon so many forests and natural fields that our houses are endangered whenever a fire happens. When many of the raging wild fires were happening out in the inner-Western areas I read it was exacerbated by the fact that we prevented so many fires in the past that a build up of old and rotting vegetation made a conflagration inevitable. What ya going to do? You want to live in a natural area but do not want to put up with natural processes.

-T

Dry vegetation plus wind equals fire eventually. True, the idiot with a cigarette might have started it, but it just as well could have been a back firing car or a lightning strike. Fire is nature's way of clearing out the dead overgrowth and it is going to happen. The problem is that we've encroached upon so many forests and natural fields that our houses are endangered whenever a fire happens. When many of the raging wild fires were happening out in the inner-Western areas I read it was exacerbated by the fact that we prevented so many fires in the past that a build up of old and rotting vegetation made a conflagration inevitable. What ya going to do? You want to live in a natural area but do not want to put up with natural processes.

-T

Great points. Sometimes I forget how fragile and delicate life is.

The scary part for us Los Angelinos is that , once again, it is the driest season on record here in Los Angeles. It has rained only twice in a whole year! This summer is gonna be a blazing (pun intended).

On the semi-bright side, most of them are from natural causes. The ones in Polk County are meth labs from all the white trash there.

How'd ya'll no I live in Polk counna? :whistling:

No seriously, that wasn't funny.

True about natural vegitation burning off but this area of Florida is supposed to be wetlands. Lake Okeechobee is lower than ever. We have had no rain and it is may. I don't know if it is media hype, but the news is saying a lot of the fires have been started by people being careless and not natural causes. They just get out of hand quicker with no rain and dead grass.

I hope this doesn't mean a bad hurricane season. i can't deal with another one. Last time I was ready to move.

I'm soo close to the florida everglades i can spit at the alligators. An although today it's been a lot better as far as the smoke in the air goes, i do think this dry season will bring up some interesting hurricanes.

*Must remember to place all watches in zip lock bags*