When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster X-33

TeeJay

I've been thinking of getting one of these, and wondered if anyone might have any opinions about them? I've read a few reviews which, while informative, lacked any real 'personal opinion' I had thought of putting it on the Omega double ridged rubber deployant strap, but, having seen one already on this, and seeing how the strap gapes from the lugs (Curse of the Planet Ocean :D ) have decided to stick with my initial plan to put it on a brown leather strap. If anyone has any experience with this watch (particularly the reps of it) I'd love to hear them :)

I've been thinking of getting one of these, and wondered if anyone might have any opinions about them? I've read a few reviews which, while informative, lacked any real 'personal opinion' I had thought of putting it on the Omega double ridged rubber deployant strap, but, having seen one already on this, and seeing how the strap gapes from the lugs (Curse of the Planet Ocean :D ) have decided to stick with my initial plan to put it on a brown leather strap. If anyone has any experience with this watch (particularly the reps of it) I'd love to hear them :)

I would avoid it as it is a replica in the 80% accuracy range of a genuine that has limited appeal. The rep is fully functional but has some quirks like no instructions, an analog quartz and digital quartz readout that do not stay synchronized, lots of backlash in the minute hand when setting, a bezel that doesnt line up with 12:00 between clicks, engraving on the back that the genuine does not have, a screw off caseback with faux screw heads.....I could go on and on. Not a bad watch for $75 but a replica that isn't even close to the genuine.

Mine arrived with a broken bracelet. I replaced it and then sold it to Richard

I had the replica X-33 from Silix. A nice watch with some quirks as mentioned. ( I never really figured out the alarm..) The replica might be worth a shot just to see if you like the style.

Actually. my GF found it way cooler than my more expensive mechanical super-reps.. I traded it on, but are still considering the gen.. Either the X-33 or a Breitling B-1.

If you get the replica X-33, be aware that there are two batteries in the back. One is hidden under the mainplate.

246664-8419.jpg

Tintin and Haddock are amazed by the many functions of the X-33

I would avoid it as it is a replica in the 80% accuracy range of a genuine that has limited appeal. The rep is fully functional but has some quirks like no instructions, an analog quartz and digital quartz readout that do not stay synchronized, lots of backlash in the minute hand when setting, a bezel that doesnt line up with 12:00 between clicks, engraving on the back that the genuine does not have, a screw off caseback with faux screw heads.....I could go on and on. Not a bad watch for $75 but a replica that isn't even close to the genuine.

Mine arrived with a broken bracelet. I replaced it and then sold it to Richard

100% accuracy isn't one of my primary concerns, so that wouldn't worry me too much, and the synchronization between the analogue and digital, is an issue I had with my Softech watch (threw it out as the battery leaked into the movement), so I used to simply re-set the hands to the digital every morning (normally just meant pulling the crown out for a few seconds while the digital 'caught up', and then re-starting the analogue) so those are things I could certainly put up with. When you say there's backlash in the minute hand while setting, what do you mean by that? I found an online instruction manual which said that the minute hands moved twice in 30 second increments, so should be positioned according to the seconds (0-29, line up with the marker, 30-59 line up 'mid markers') Was this the issue you mean or was it some other flaw (such as the hand 'jumping' forwards when the crown is locked down?) As for the case back, it would only come 'off wrist' at home, and the only people who would see it in public, aren't really watch enthusiasts. I was just thinking that for the price, it might be a nice change to the other 'dive watches' in (or coming too) my collection :)

I had the replica X-33 from Silix. A nice watch with some quirks as mentioned. ( I never really figured out the alarm..) The replica might be worth a shot just to see if you like the style.

Actually. my GF found it way cooler than my more expensive mechanical super-reps.. I traded it on, but are still considering the gen.. Either the X-33 or a Breitling B-1.

If you get the replica X-33, be aware that there are two batteries in the back. One is hidden under the mainplate.

246744-8411.jpg

Tintin and Haddock are amazed by the many functions of the X-33

I was planning on getting mine from Silix as well. Which quirks did yours feature? With the alarm, from what I understand, there is the regular alarm, which would be set for say 7 AM each day, but there is also the Mission Elapsed Time alarm, which I guess works in conjunction with the Mission Elapsed Time counter (so a redundant combination of a stopwatch, and a countdown timer) Was that the problem you had with it? Out of curiosity, would you have said that the alarm was 80db as per the gen? Also, did yours have the 'indiglo' nightlight function?

Don't expect the functions to be replicated very well. The movement will be at best a vague look-alike. Same as with the Breitling B-1 reps that use the Miyota T241 quartz dual display.

Thanks for the warning, I guess all I can do is place the order, and see how it is when it arrives :)

Hi TeeJay, I dont know if you have read THIS thread? It tells much about all of the X-33 rep.

It does not have mission-time alarm as on the genuine, and rather usual alarm-sound. Cool blue backlight, though.

Good luck! :)

Hi TeeJay, I dont know if you have read THIS thread? It tells much about all of the X-33 rep.

It does not have mission-time alarm as on the genuine, and rather usual alarm-sound. Cool blue backlight, though.

Good luck! :)

Hi, I hadn't seen the thread, so thanks for the link, it's certainly been informative :) Where you commented about the backlight, and how the gen second hand stops, then jumps forwards to catch up, would I be right in assuming that the rep second hand does not stop? As much as I love my new SMP, I think this watch is a definite must for occasions when I want to wear an Omega, but not actually look like I'm wearing an expensive watch, as afterall, everyone knows digital watches are cheap ;) I think the replacement strap I have planned will also help to 'cheapen' it's appearance :) Thanks again for the link :)