When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP on Leather strap

TeeJay

Okay, so I saw this strap a week or so ago, and thought it would be excellent for putting on my SMP, and the Aqua Terra and X-33 I have planned to buy. My fiance bought it for me today as an early birthday present, and I threw it on the SMP as soon as we got home. Now, personally, I liked it immediately, but, her reaction was rather lack lustre, and she said she prefered the watch on it's original SS Bracelet, and that rather dented my opinion of the strap... Here are a couple of photos I just took for people to give their opinions. Should I keep the SMP on the strap, or put it back on the SS Bracelet and just keep the strap for the Aqua Terra? Thanks in advance :)

249208-8022.jpg

249208-8023.jpg

Hmm... Colorful combination. :)

It looks a bit odd. I think it make the watch look "vintage", like an old Sub.

The Omega bracelet is one of the best around, and it is a part of the visual impression of the Seamaster Pro. But it is nice to have a strap to switch the style once in a while.

Hmm... Colorful combination. :)

It looks a bit odd. I think it make the watch look "vintage", like an old Sub.

The Omega bracelet is one of the best around, and it is a part of the visual impression of the Seamaster Pro. But it is nice to have a strap to switch the style once in a while.

I'll take that as a polite way of saying it would look better on the SS Bracelet :D My idea for the leather strap was the watches worn by Sean Bean and Pierce Brosnan at the beginning of Goldeneye. I think that the strap might be better reserved for the Aqua Terra or X-33 :D

No offense, but that is not my cup of tea.

None taken. I was in two minds about it, but it just wasn't working, so the watch went straight back on the SS Bracelet. The strap should go fine with an X-33 or Aqua Terra though, so not a total waste of time and money :)

I think the bracelet for the SMP is the best looking option available for these SMP's. I think the right colour leather strap could work, I think maybe the grain of the strap makes it look a little out of place.

The second picture wasn't really showing the true colors, as they aren't really as bright as that. The wrist shot is the more accurate coloring.

If the wrist shot is more preresentative of the colour then it looks quite classy! Bracelet is the one that clinches it for me though :)

Indeed, thw wrist shot was the more accurate representation of the color, as the second, the flas made the color of the strap much more intense. To describe it visually, I would classify the primary color as dark chocolate, and the color of the 'cracks' and stitching as a dark toffee color. I know what you mean, it did look classy, and as mentioned by chrgod, gives a look of, if not 'aged vintage', certainly 'inherited'. I think folks are indeed right, the SMP looks best on it's bracelet, and that's how I'll be keeping it. The strap will find a new watch to support though, so nothing has gone to waste :)

Am I right in thinking you have a rubber strap for an Omega? Would be interesting to see what it looked ike on that if you did! (the PO type one where the strap covers the end link gap)

Indeed I do have the Omega rubber strap. I tried fitting it, but it has a really bad gape. For it to fit properly, I would need a second set of holes drilled in the lugs.

Here's how it looked though...

249971-7832.jpg

:wub:

You wouldn't say that if it was strapped to your wrist and you could see just how bad (and loose) the gape was :D

I just tried putting the strap on my 2531.80 project watch (which has mysteriously started working again (in a somewhat erratic fashion) and the strap goes great with the black 'vintaged' dial.

250011-7824.jpg

I think it'll probably be safe to go on the Aqua Terra I'm planning on ordering, and likely also the X-33 I'm going to order (I wanted a watch that would be 'Corporate Smart' just in case, and another that just wouldn't look expensive at all)

You wouldn't say that if it was strapped to your wrist and you could see just how bad (and loose) the gape was

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Is there a easy way to remving straps. I see you have done it often over a short period, I always have difficulty in removing spring bars when they're on a strap as you can't actually see them? I always scuff the inside of the strap?

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Is there a easy way to remving straps. I see you have done it often over a short period, I always have difficulty in removing spring bars when they're on a strap as you can't actually see them? I always scuff the inside of the strap?

I just use a 1.5mm jeweller's screwdriver for bracelet or straps. With a strap, I just slide the tip between the strap and lug so it touches on the springbar, and then make minute 'scratching' motions untill it catches on the bar's ridges, then just press down fully and pop the springbar out :)

Now THAT looks nice :)

Thanks :) I just wish the watch itself would consistently work... What was supposed to be an upgrade project, is now going to require so many different parts, it would be as easy to simply buy a new watch and swap the dial over, which makes the idea of the project pretty redundant...