When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying a GENUINE Rolex from overseas is a TRADEMARK VIOLATION

slay

i just found this:

Here is what the US Customs Service says as of Jan 2003:

The Rolex trademark recordation with Customs indicates "Import of Goods Bearing Genuine Trademarks or Trade Names Restricted." This means that genuine Rolex products can only be imported with the permission of the trademark owner, Rolex Watch U.S.A. Inc. A private individual can hand carry one Rolex watch from a trip overseas without obtaining permission. Bring in more than one, and they will all be seized as a trademark violation. Purchasing a Rolex from overseas by mail is also a trademark violation.

which basically means, if you live in the US and buy a rolex from lets say some german guy and customs open the package, they can SEIZE it... seriously i think thats just bullcrap! especialy in a globalized 21st century!

so it wouldnt make a difference if you buy a replica for 100bucks from overseas or a genuine for a few 10grand

i just found this:

which basically means, if you live in the US and buy a rolex from lets say some german guy and customs open the package, they can SEIZE it... seriously i think thats just bullcrap! especialy in a globalized 21st century!

so it wouldnt make a difference if you buy a replica for 100bucks from overseas or a genuine for a few 10grand

Crazy.

Question.

If you go over the boarder and you bought lets say 3 gen Rolexes from Europe and you're going to the states, wouldnt it be smart to take the boxes and papers and send them via mail and then put the bought watches in a travel pouch?

It would look like you just have your personal collection with you. THATS allowed isnt it?

I saw in a movie (dont remember which, but it was before 2003, true) that a guy had a gen daytona s/s , gen submariner and some patek watch with him in a case over the boarders.

Yes, it was a movie, and yes before 2003, but just wondering.

Is that allowed?

i dont know, but i wouldnt take the risk ;)

boi tanfo would have some serious problem when moving to the US :D

Man, he would have some explaining to do!

Are his gens? He never answered that question. Or are they beautiful reps with real boxes and price tags??

Floris

Basically the law is to stop people buying cheap rolex straight from the maufactorer and undercutting dealers in other countries.

Walmart actually brought a large amount of rolex watches for their employees and they lost the lot at the border.

Ken

Basically the law is to stop people buying cheap rolex straight from the maufactorer and undercutting dealers in other countries.

Walmart actually brought a large amount of rolex watches for their employees and they lost the lot at the border.

Ken

seriously? (the walmart thing)

i dont think rolex (the manufactor) sells their watches to anyone besides AD's! it's probably to prevent gray market sales, but it still is bullcrap!

Ok....never thought of that. Now I feel really stupid.... :huh: Of course those haaaaaaard working AD's need their money :p

Ken, please respond to my PM when you have the time, thanks.

Floris

I recall this discussion on another board, and if I recall correctly, Rolex USA is a bit like a franchise of sorts - completely independent of Rolex itself. They license the rights to sell the product in an exclusive territory, hence the deal with US Customs. In the USA, you are not dealing with Rolex, but rather Rolex USA - by all rights a separate and distinct company, and if you import, you are taking their sales.

I have recently started traveling extensively for work and plan on finding the cheapest source for geuines. I travel to Mexico, the Caribbean and Asia so I'll keep you posted. Of course, I'll only bring back one. :)

Edited by robertrinaustin

I've read into this too. Walmart did lose their watches purchased for their execs.

And you are allowed to cross the border with one watch, if you were to say purchase one on vacation. But just one. You'll have to ship the rest in with a value of $8 as a gift from your "Aunt Suzie" :)