When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Next AR Run? When will it start?

maxmsu

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The run 3 crystals are due back in my hands from the coater any day now. Then run 4 will get under way, and after that, run 5. Signups for run 5 in a couple weeks or so....

Could you please post all members who have reserved slots for run 4? I think I put my name in for a couple of slots, so I just wanted to double check.

FYI - I packed up the crystals from run 3 this evening and should have them shipped back to everyone tomorrow.

Flav will most likely post pics of the crystals he is reinstalling for some of the members in run 3 later this week.

-Chief

Hey Chief, I was wondering what the status is on the single sided run?

thanx

Coming soon. I'll hit everyone involved with a PM shortly.... I've been busy.

I'm in for 1 double AR in the run 5...on a Breitling Navitimer World GMT

I asked for Flav services to remove my crystal and wait for his answer...

Great help from you... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm in for 1 double AR in the run 5...on a Breitling Navitimer World GMT

I asked for Flav services to remove my crystal and wait for his answer...

Great help from you... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ah, FYI, I won't accept Navitimer crystals anymore unless you (or someone) has stripped the existing light AR coat that's already on them. If not stripped, the crystal will turn yellow when coated by my company. We've learned this the hard way already. I've done the stripping on a few of these myself, and while it's not terribly difficult, it's not a service I will offer.

Ah, FYI, I won't accept Navitimer crystals anymore unless you (or someone) has stripped the existing light AR coat that's already on them. If not stripped, the crystal will turn yellow when coated by my company. We've learned this the hard way already. I've done the stripping on a few of these myself, and while it's not terribly difficult, it's not a service I will offer.

Were there any problems with Navitimer crystals in Run 3?

OK Thanks...I will ask to Flav... :whistling:

Were there any problems with Navitimer crystals in Run 3?

I didn't notice any problems, and the coater didn't report any. I stripped two or three Navi crystals prior to shipping to the coater this time, though. But, going forward, that's just not something I want to continue to do.

Any other problem crystals you're aware of Chief, whilst on the subject?

Any already-coated crystal must be stripped. The Navitimer was only a special case because nobody (neither the owner, nor me, nor the coating company) noticed that there was an existing coating until after it came out of the AR chamber and had turned yellow. The yellowing was due to a chemical reaction between the existing and new coatings.

So when some dealers say "light AR", they're not necessarily lying!! If you can't see the rep AR coating, that doesn't mean it isn't there!!! It's just not doing much if anything in the way of inhibiting reflections. :D

Any already-coated crystal must be stripped. The Navitimer was only a special case because nobody (neither the owner, nor me, nor the coating company) noticed that there was an existing coating until after it came out of the AR chamber and had turned yellow. The yellowing was due to a chemical reaction between the existing and new coatings.

So when some dealers say "light AR", they're not necessarily lying!! If you can't see the rep AR coating, that doesn't mean it isn't there!!! It's just not doing much if anything in the way of inhibiting reflections. :D

Thought as much, the only concern of mine is my 187 - whilst I've seen a pic in your last run (Flav's), I know for a fact it has light AR (on a sunny day in the northern hemisphere when the moon's in it's 3rd cycle :D yes, then you can make out a very faint pinkish tint).

So is 187 'safe' or not?

Thought as much, the only concern of mine is my 187 - whilst I've seen a pic in your last run (Flav's), I know for a fact it has light AR (on a sunny day in the northern hemisphere when the moon's in it's 3rd cycle :D yes, then you can make out a very faint pinkish tint).

So is 187 'safe' or not?

this is interesting....chieftang, you think this could explain the issues i had with my 187 crystal? :g:

i know there have been previous 187 crystals coated without incidence, but mine came out with some strange things going on with the coating (it's hard to describe).....so i might suggest having someone 'strip' your 187 crystal before getting it coated.

EDIT: to change my description of the issues i had with the coating....

deltatahoe

this is interesting....chieftang, you think this could explain the issues i had with my 187 crystal? :g:

i know there have been previous 187 crystals coated without incidence, but mine came out with what looked like some scratches.....so i might suggest having someone 'strip' your 187 crystal before getting it coated.

deltatahoe

I can't explain the scratches. Of the roughly 80-90 crystals done so far, you seem to be the only one reporting scratches. And I really have no way of knowing if the scratches occured before or after the coating was applied. But scratching this coating takes some real effort (not to mention unintuitive behavior :lol:), so I think it's a separate and unfortunate issue unique to your one crystal. I wish I had a better answer.

I can't explain the scratches. Of the roughly 80-90 crystals done so far, you seem to be the only one reporting scratches. And I really have no way of knowing if the scratches occured before or after the coating was applied. But scratching this coating takes some real effort (not to mention unintuitive behavior :lol:), so I think it's a separate and unfortunate issue unique to your one crystal. I wish I had a better answer.

maybe i wasn't clear....i was just wondering if the light AR coating that doc mentioned is on the 187 crystal may have interacted with the new coating in a strange way, which could potentially explain the non-uniform coating that my 187 crystal received.

for the record, i'm still happy with the AR coating -- it looks awesome on the 187.....i just had some bad luck (as the only person out of 90 to have an issue with scratches on the AR coating)....

life is good -- what's a couple scratches to spoil things? :victory:

deltatahoe

maybe i wasn't clear....i was just wondering if the light AR coating that doc mentioned is on the 187 crystal may have interacted with the new coating in a strange way, which could potentially explain the non-uniform coating that my 187 crystal received.

for the record, i'm still happy with the AR coating -- it looks awesome on the 187.....i just had some bad luck (as the only person out of 90 to have an issue with scratches on the AR coating)....

life is good -- what's a couple scratches to spoil things? :victory:

deltatahoe

Yea I guess you weren't clear. You described it as scratches and looking at the picture you sent me, what I saw appeared to be a uniform coating with scratches either in the coating or on the crystal itself. And, as I said, I'm unable to venture a guess as to their origin.

Chieftang, you didn't have to strip my navi crystals did you? I worked pretty hard w/a dremel and a cape cod cloth to get them stripped before sending, but if it was ineffective I'll need to change my method.....

I don't remember whose they were (I *think* they belonged to jkpadget2). :g: But if you weren't the one who asked and paid for me to strip the coating, then I didn't touch yours. ;)

Just a noob question : how do you remove and replace the bezel with the crystal on a Navitimer (Mine is a World GMT that has a little "play") ?

Thanks for your help... :whistling: