When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Suppose . . . More to Follow

TJGladeRaider

Water intrusion has always been a serious problem with reps, and other than brief immerson, I have no faith that any of them will keep water out, and nobody claims they will - until recently. I notice that some are now being offered with a representation that they are water proof to 30m or so.

That makes me wonder if they really are waterproof, but if they are - why not go the next step?

Considering the quality of the reps these days, it frustrates me that they are as close to gens as they are (have you seen the new Planet Oceans), but you still cannot trust them to be accurate and waterproof as a gen. That seems silly to me because I have some very inexpensive watches that are completely waterproof, and a whole lot of higher end reps that are not.

My lovely wife is a very patient woman. LOL

post-223-1145081545_thumb.jpg

Just suppose your favorite and most dependable rep dealer offered to source a few of the best available reps, and have a competent watch smith dissemble them, service them properly, time them accurately, waterproof them properly and test them before shipping to you - at a reasonable additional fee?

I have ordered some that are represented to be waterproof from one source, and arranged to have some made up for me as described above by another. This is going to be interesting as I have a new toy.

post-223-1145080793_thumb.jpg

So whaddya tink?

More to follow.

; )

Bill

Hey go for it Bill, you never know there may be a fair bit of pocket money in it for you. :)

Ken

LOL -- what a concept . . . my wife's ultimate fantasy!

I just collect these things, the money only flows one way, but if the watches come waterproof and properly regulated as promised, I'll feel like my money was better spent.

Bill

Yeh good luck to you Bill...we all know what a givaway it is when someone takes off their supposed 'Dive' watch to go swimming!

Since the testing device is set up so it cannot hurt the watch, I am going to run all my watches thru it, both gens and reps, and see how they do.

It will test to 11 ATM so I figure if any watch is good to 3 ATM (about 100 ft) I can safely wear it swimming or anything but scuba.

Bill

Since the testing device is set up so it cannot hurt the watch, I am going to run all my watches thru it, both gens and reps, and see how they do.

It will test to 11 ATM so I figure if any watch is good to 3 ATM (about 100 ft) I can safely wear it swimming or anything but scuba.

Bill

Thats a great idea...definitely agree that it is enough for the reps to become water resistent for swimming.

If you dont mind me asking...how does the machine work...how do you tell if the seal on a watch breaks??

Jon

Thats a great idea...definitely agree that it is enough for the reps to become water resistent for swimming.

If you dont mind me asking...how does the machine work...how do you tell if the seal on a watch breaks??

Jon

post-223-1145122311_thumb.jpg

Once you put water in the machine - a little less than half full, you don't fill this cylinder - you put the watch in the cylinder, hanging it on that little device you can see just over top of the water and seal the device. Then you start pumping up the pressure inside.

If you double the air pressue inside the cylinder, and the watch is not air tight, you also double the pressure inside the watch, which doesn't hurt anything. Let's say you pump it up to 5 atmospheres, the equivalent pressure that you would have when under water about 165 feet.

With the pressure on, you start to SLOWLY release the pressure. As the pressure outside the watch drops, any extra air inside the watch will start to escape - while the pressure is dropping, you drop the watch into the water and see if bubbles are pouring out of it around the case, crystal, stem, pushers, etc. If bubbles are coming out, while the prssure is dropping, NO WATER GETS IN - just like having your head under water and blowing bubbles.

If bubbles are coming out, the watch is not completely sealed so you look where the bubbles are coming from and have that properly sealed.

As long as you remove the watch from the water before the pressure reaches zero, no water wll get in it.

Pretty kewl device.

Once my new light box gets here, I'll post some pics showing what happens as I test some of these watches.

Bill

Edited by TJGladeRaider

You can obtain this movement and waterproofing service from The Zigmeister, DaytonaT and RBJ, so how would this be different?

I think the cool thing that makes it different is that you are doing it yourself...learning more. Utmost of respect to the W.I.S. Gurus that give us the breakdowns and how-to's, they are the ones who give us inspiration to take our knowledge/learning to the next level :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Esmarc :pimp:

I think the cool thing that makes it different is that you are doing it yourself...learning more. Utmost of respect to the W.I.S. Gurus that give us the breakdowns and how-to's, they are the ones who give us inspiration to take our knowledge/learning to the next level :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Esmarc :pimp:

Yeh i guess its exciting to be doing something yourself...and everytime you look at your arm you then know you had something to do with the beautiful watch sitting there. :)

Jon

You can obtain this movement and waterproofing service from Ziggy, DaytonaT and RBJ, so how would this be different?

I don't know, but I talked to Ziggy about waterproofing watches and he was not very encouraging. I gotta say though, you talk to him and you know you are talking to a guy who genuinely knows what he is talking about, and there is no nonsense to him.

If it turns out that I cannot buy the package I want, I'm gonna ship my favs to Ziggy and let him do what he can.

Bill