When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 21j alternatives.

gregers

Some people have suggested that there is the possibility that this old workhorse is very occasionally less than 100% reliable.

If it does crap out on you what are the alternatives? Am I right in assuming that the best bet would be to forget this throwaway movt. and just replace it. I've seen it mentioned that a Miyota (8215?) is a viable alternative but I don't know if this is always a straightforward swap. Is there anything else that is worth considering? I suppose the third alternative would be to have it Ziggified, but though effective this might necessarily be more expensive than simply buying a replacement watch, which in any case would simply leave you again with an inferior movt. Therefore can anybody share any knowledge about the first two, cheaper alternatives.

Thanks.

Depending on the existing movement, the best option is to install a Miyota if it will fit... For the most part, they aren't worth servicing.

RG

Thanks for that The Zigmeister. Is there one specific Miyota that is likely to do the job or are there many variations depending on which watch it will be going into?

Thanks, that is about what I thought. But I thought that even sometimes, the 2836 was not practical due to case differences. I suppose with either, swapping the date wheel is most likely going to be needed as well. I have a 21J sub that stopped working and I want to swap the movement out for a beater watch. Try my hand at a little modding while I am at it.

Yes... You'd have to swap out the date overlay, and add new hands (90/150/25) in order to make this work (new stem should be provided with the movement).

Physically, the ETA is similar to the 21j Asian; the stem lines up in the same position, so retrofitting into any watch originally with a 21j shouldn't be a problem. You will have to cut the feet off the dial, however... Or, you can ask your dealer to sell you an ETA specific dial if they have one and are willing to sell you parts.

A couple of months back I got a 2813 Asian movement from Ebay ($30 total), it was a perfect replacement for my LV and yes I first got me a 2836 ETA but after figuring out all the problems with dial feet, date disk, hands etc. I gave the 2813 a try.

BTW anybody needs an ST6 Asian movement for the non-chrono Daytona ? :fishing1:

A couple of months back I got a 2813 Asian movement from Ebay ($30 total), it was a perfect replacement for my LV and yes I first got me a 2836 ETA but after figuring out all the problems with dial feet, date disk, hands etc. I gave the 2813 a try.

BTW anybody needs an ST6 Asian movement for the non-chrono Daytona ? :fishing1:

Im looking for a st6 daytona movement with secons at 6. Is the st6 is the day/date version?

Sorry, they have day, week, month on the sub-dials, I think those seconds @6 are kinda new, it might be wise to get a fellow member (like The Zigmeister) to take a look at it

I don't think the 7750 movements w/seconds @6 that you find on ebay will work as far as subdial spacing, hand sizes etc.

:fishing1: