When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can anyone give me a quick tutorial

trueimage

These are notoriously tricky to remove, I would recommend taking it to a local watchmaker to remove for you. Most watches with pins in the links can be removed using a link remover tool that you can usually pick up on eb@y.

These are notoriously tricky to remove, I would recommend taking it to a local watchmaker to remove for you. Most watches with pins in the links can be removed using a link remover tool that you can usually pick up on eb@y.

The PO bracelet snapped my eBay link remover clear in two! The bracet is evil I tell you.....

I have done three UPO's and used the method below without issues.

You will need several tools.

Removing:

1. A pin removal tool that has a thick pin. This is needed to start the pin out of the bracelet so that the removal pin does not bend in the process.

2. The pin tool above will only get it out about half way so you will need another pin tool with a longer pin to get it out a little further. You need to get it out at least 3/4 of the way to start using pliars (carefully) to remove it the rest of the way.

3. Using pliars, pull straight out. If it is not already at least 3/4 the way out it is very likly you will break the pin.

Replacing:

1. Align the bracelet and using pliars, start the end of the pin a little into the bracelet. Make sure you use some oil on the pin before inserting into the bracelet. Slowly, push straight. It should go in at least 1/4 to 1/2 way. From here on it is impossible to get any further unless you use a small jewlers/watch hammer to lightly and repetatively tap the end of the pin the rest of the way in. You must do this a little at a time and make sure you tap exactly vertically so as not to bend the pin. The plastic end of the hammer can be used at the start but you will probably find that the end of the pin start to embed into the resin and you will have to change to the metal end of the hammer as it gets harder to move the pin.

A note on the pliars. Use carefully so as not to scar or bend the pin. I used a pair that had flat on the end with no teeth.

This is the procedeure I used on all three UPO's and it worked each time. But, you have to have the tools and don't even start to do this unless you do.

Good luck. You will need it.

Usil

I have done three UPO's and used the method below without issues.

You will need several tools.

Removing:

1. A pin removal tool that has a thick pin. This is needed to start the pin out of the bracelet so that the removal pin does not bend in the process.

2. The pin tool above will only get it out about half way so you will need another pin tool with a longer pin to get it out a little further. You need to get it out at least 3/4 of the way to start using pliars (carefully) to remove it the rest of the way.

3. Using pliars, pull straight out. If it is not already at least 3/4 the way out it is very likly you will break the pin.

Replacing:

1. Align the bracelet and using pliars, start the end of the pin a little into the bracelet. Make sure you use some oil on the pin before inserting into the bracelet. Slowly, push straight. It should go in at least 1/4 to 1/2 way. From here on it is impossible to get any further unless you use a small jewlers/watch hammer to lightly and repetatively tap the end of the pin the rest of the way in. You must do this a little at a time and make sure you tap exactly vertically so as not to bend the pin. The plastic end of the hammer can be used at the start but you will probably find that the end of the pin start to embed into the resin and you will have to change to the metal end of the hammer as it gets harder to move the pin.

A note on the pliars. Use carefully so as not to scar or bend the pin. I used a pair that had flat on the end with no teeth.

This is the procedeure I used on all three UPO's and it worked each time. But, you have to have the tools and don't even start to do this unless you do.

Good luck. You will need it.

Usil

Sounds.... great.

About taking it to a jewelery store: Will they do it while I'm there / let me watch or must I leave the watch. Also, they used to sell Omega and now they do not, but they still sell Tag Heuer I think is their top brand. Will they deny me service if they spot this as a "fake".

Lastly, what is the average charge for this service. I think I'd like to have the tools on hand for the future with other watches etc, but I want it done right away.

First, before handing over a rep (make sure this is not an authorized dealer), ALWAYS ask if they have an issue with working on reps. If they say no or ask what you want done just say that you need the bracelet resized and have been told it is a difficult one because of the tight pins. Do this on the phone. If they say - sure bring it is then you got it made. Keep calling till you find one. A small independant is best.

I have no idea on the charge - you will have to ask them.

Tools to do this are not too expensive if you plan to get more reps then you will need them.

Uisl

Thanks for the tip. I live in a remote location so there are only a few places. I will call around and see.

Can you recommend what to get / where to get a "starter" kit for watch repair/work? Just like the tool to remove caseback and the small screwdrivers (i.e. for adjusting the time offset) and working on bracelets, etc.