When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just recently got into REPs

evildee

Heck, I just got into watches not too long ago and now look what happened.

I figure with all the REPs I own it will cost me a small fortune to maintain these buggers. Why not do it yourself? If I had a whole day free I could do it in one day but I stretched it out and took my time.

After all this, it really gives me an understanding how a movement works. I love it! It calms my nerves.

Check out the images. It might be slow loading.

254707-6657.jpg

254707-6658.jpg

Periodically, I traumatize one of my watches with my TimeZone Watch School tool kit. It always turns out badly for both of us. I figure watchsmithing is like any other craft--you can be taught what to do and how to do it, but doing it succesfully, ultimately, is a matter of God-gifted skill which we either have or not. If you're willing to burn through some dough and some frustration finding out whether you've got the modding genes, I'm with Richard: go for it.

Sorry....my hands were made for sifting $100 notes and holding champagne flutes......not for picking tiny screws up off the floor.......I'll leave it to you field workers to get a tan and do the manual labour thing......!

Edited by TTK

Sorry....my hands were made for sifting $100 notes and holding champagne flutes......not for picking tiny screws up off the floor.......I'll leave it to you field workers to get a tan and do the manual labour thing......!

It must be hard being TTK. LOL! Pimping ain't easy. :lol:

post-3173-1180849340_thumb.jpg

Edited by evildee

Completely different mind set required for watch work than any other endeavor I've tried to master. I can drain an abscess, play Vila-Lobos on classical guitar, inlay a veneered table top, put an addition on my house and rebuild a rotary engine all with modest levels of proficiency but the prospect of removing a balance wheel and spring scares the crap out of me. I can pull hands, replace a dial, regulate rate and beat....but disassemble a movement, clean it, lubricate it and put it back together....working and accurate????....No way!!

Long Live Ziggy

Yeah, good luck putting that all back together successfully, I give you credit.

All I can think of is The Zigmeister's comments when he puts the movement back together expertly and it still doesn't work right, how then he has to take certain parts off and put them back on with different amounts of pressure, much trial and error, unbelievable patience that guy has.

I'm slowly learning about movements too. I can now pull hands, dials and understand how to strip and rebuild the keyless works on a 2836. I also know how the winding mechanism works, including the part about losing the spring that ratchets the winder. Oops.

Well, that's one lesson. Anyone got a tiny v-shaped spring that holds the winder ratchet in a 2846 spare?

Yeah, good luck putting that all back together successfully, I give you credit.

All I can think of is The Zigmeister's comments when he puts the movement back together expertly and it still doesn't work right, how then he has to take certain parts off and put them back on with different amounts of pressure, much trial and error, unbelievable patience that guy has.

Ahh, got it back up and running. It was fun. So easy a caveman can do it. LOL!

257223-6256.jpg

257223-6257.jpg