When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is it about the Submariner?

kasigi

I was never a big fan of the sub type of watch. I'd never owned one, and never really been that bothered about them. Then a while ago I noticed the vintage single red and thought how good it looked in some of the pictures posted (I think it was probably Joe's pictures).

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw Andrew's LV for sale and bought one on a whim. When it arrived I had to wait for some extra links for it to fit my large wrists and even then I was still a bit uncertain about whether I liked it or not.

But now I've been wearing it for just a few days and I absolutely adore the look. It's as though it's become something different just by the fact that I've got it on my wrist. Is it true that the Sub is the most popular Rolex watch in terms of sales?

(There's a picture of it on my wrist here if anyone's interested in seeing it)

I'll still be wearing my 005 to work, but at all other times I'm pretty struck by this.

What is the appeal of the Sub? I love it, but I don't know why.

K.

The Sub is a classic. It's clean lines and masculine design, without being ... um, compensatory, place it in the classic "I'm rich, but adventurous and sporty" category we all wish we could be.

It basically presses all the right buttons. It's got the rolex brand, and that counts. It's got no gold or flash. It could be just a regular metal watch, but it just isn't. It signifies sport, but nothing involving horseshit or mud, and it works. Ten-year old boys want one. Forty-year old men want one because it reminds them of what they thought men should be like when they were ten. It's the perfect man's watch.

It's the watch we all wish people would assume we wore.

"Oh, yeah, Pugwash. I saw him with one of those swimsuit models, and he was off to go shark harpooning or something. I bet he wears a Rolex Sub, like the real James Bond did back in the day."