When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

stem adapter/extender

dadog13

Hi guys...

i have just broke the stem adapter from my rep crown and now I need a new one...

the movement in question is the swiss ETA6497 swan neck and the crown is from Palpatine 2,1mm...

I have found the stem adapters at Cousins (www)...just don't know which size i need...

thanks for the advice!

regards,

dadog13

Edited by TwoTone

Hi dadog, you need a 120/120 adapter.

120 is the stem size for the 6497 (manual movement, while PAM auto movements have size 90).

Your crown was made for a manual movement stem, so it must be 120 as well.

So you just need a 120 (male end, to put into the crown ) / 120 (female end, where to put the stem) adapter (it would better be called extension).

Please note that you have to cut both the stem and the adapter at the correct length so that the bulging end of the adapter (female end) rests placed inside the spacer ring.

Hi dadog, you need a 120/120 adapter.

120 is the stem size for the 6497 (manual movement, while PAM auto movements have size 90).

Your crown was made for a manual movement stem, so it must be 120 as well.

So you just need a 120 (male end, to put into the crown ) / 120 (female end, where to put the stem) adapter (it would better be called extension).

Please note that you have to cut both the stem and the adapter at the correct length so that the bulging end of the adapter (female end) rests placed inside the spacer ring.

Hi sssurfer..tnx for the answer...do you know where i could find such stem extension...I looked at cousins site, seems they don't have that kind of stem extension...now looking at ofrei, but have probl finding one...would appreciate if you could point to me where to find some...

Edited by dadog13

Hi sssurfer..tnx for the answer...do you know where i could find such stem extension...I looked at cousins site, seems they don't have that kind of stem extension...now looking at ofrei, but have probl finding one...would appreciate if you could point to me where to find some...

My pleasure.

http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=452167

I also seem to recognize that the 2nd item on this page (i.e. the MSA99.021 assortment):

http://www.ofrei.com/page754.html

does contain 120/120 extenders too.

My pleasure.

http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=452167

I also seem to recognize that the 2nd item on this page (i.e. the MSA99.021 assortment):

http://www.ofrei.com/page754.html

does contain 120/120 extenders too.

thanks again sssurfer.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: ...dunno how i missed the extenders at cousins website?!!! maybe it's time to get glasses...

thanks again sssurfer.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: ...dunno how i missed the extenders at cousins website?!!! maybe it's time to get glasses...

It's just their confusing page arrangement.

You are welcome, let us know how this comes out.

...And, honestly, I would like to have your same stem problem, as this would imply that PAM sent me the crown that I paid for since 10 months ago now... :(

It's just their confusing page arrangement.

You are welcome, let us know how this comes out.

...And, honestly, I would like to have your same stem problem, as this would imply that PAM sent me the crown that I paid for since 10 months ago now... :(

i got the crown in 2 weeks after the payment was done...probably PAM is having probl tracking your payment to PALP...I hope you get it soon...seems that PAM has a lot of orders to fix...my PM's have been answered in 5days time...seems that one has to be really patient until all this orders are going to be fixed...my order was for 1ss eta6497 and 1ss eta 2892...

Thanks for your good wishes, dadog. I think I'll provide PAM with evidences of my payment.

Back to you now.

Please don't underestimate the issue about the room needed to add an extender -- or more specifically its bulging end.

Are you sure you have room enough? Do you have a spacer ring between your case and movement, or does the movement just sit right up the case?

Please have a look at this post about what The Zigmeister found on a similar occasion.

If there is no room enough to add the extender, you should get a whole stem replacement rather than an extender.

Thanks for your good wishes, dadog. I think I'll provide PAM with evidences of my payment.

Back to you now.

Please don't underestimate the issue about the room needed to add an extender -- or more specifically its bulging end.

Are you sure you have room enough? Do you have a spacer ring between your case and movement, or does the movement just sit right up the case?

Please have a look at this post about what The Zigmeister found on a similar occasion.

If there is no room enough to add the extender, you should get a whole stem replacement rather than an extender.

sssurfer...many thanks for all the info you are giving me...afternoon when I come home from work, I will send you a PM with photos of my probl so you can explain a little bit more to me what I need...since I am a noob when comes to repairs - but I am doing my best!

for the help you have given to me, I can send you one of my straps that I have done (not the best, but maybe you'll like it) as a way of repaying your time to help me...what do you say?

with all the watch terminology that I am not familiar with....I don't know anymore what I have broken...the stem...the stem extender...?!!!...have to come home today and see what have I done...

I have re-re-re-read a great tutorial from bruce79...Pam Crown Tutorial it is very useful...and I advice to all of you doing this mod to check it...

I really have to check again what have I messed...

however, tnx again sssurfer for all replies...

for the help you have given to me, I can send you one of my straps that I have done (not the best, but maybe you'll like it) as a way of repaying your time to help me...what do you say?

I would be delighed from having one of your straps, not in payment for my help (we all are here for this), but as a testimony of friendship between us and because it was made by yourself with your own hands. Wow! Thanks!

Also thanks for your link about the Pam Crown Tutorial. It seems I completely missed it. It confirms all what I too found while working on crowns &co.

What you broke is the stem. A stem extender may be your solution, provided that the way the stem broke still allows to use an extender, and that there is room enough between the movement and the case. Otherwise you will need a new stem to entirely replace the broken one.

Waiting for your PM with pics. Just, today I will be on my job on the afternoon, so I will able to reply only this evening or night.

Waiting for your PM with pics. Just, today I will be on my job on the afternoon, so I will able to reply only this evening or night.

no problemo...will send you a PM this evening...I am in no hurry to get the info on how to solve the problem since it will take some time while i order all the spare parts...

dadog-

I think a completely new stem is the way to go. Less hassle, in my opinion.

Let me check my spares box at home... I might have one. If I do... It's yours.

ubi, that would be great!...

even if you don't find one - tnx again for the offer

tnx again...until then I'll post a pic so you guys can see what I broke...

Ouch, dadog! Where did all the residual stem length vanish??

It's out of any chance to fix it with an extender. The bulging end (female end) of the extender would go right into the depth of the movement.

Get a stem replacement.

Sorry. Should you have troubles in finding one, I'll add my search skills to yours.

Ouch, dadog! Where did all the residual stem length vanish??

It's out of any chance to fix it with an extender. The bulging end (female end) of the extender would go right into the depth of the movement.

Get a stem replacement.

Sorry. Should you have troubles in finding one, I'll add my search skills to yours.

tnx again for the comment...

i've cut a little-tiny piece of the part that goes in the crown, since it was needed to fix it in the case again...but i have found difficult to screw it back in the "new" crown once taken off the "old" crown...I did all well and then i found out that the stem/stem extender wasn't straight so i tried to make it straight and then broke it...this things are very delicate...and I am not so...

that is the story...

now I have to find a new stem and stem extender...I'll see if ubi comes with one...or I'll do the google search...

Dadog, what you have to find is 'just' the stem.

'Stem extender' is not a part of the stem. Neither the threaded part nor the opposite part.

A stem extender is just an added prolonge, used to (guess!) extend the length of a stem whose threaded part has been mistakenly cut too short.

Exactly just that thing that we talked about and that was on the cousinsuk site.

So (should Ubi don't have the needed stem) don't use a keyword 'extender' in your search, just 'stem' or 'crown stem' (naturally besides '6497', 'watch movement', or so).

Dadog, what you have to find is 'just' the stem.

'Stem extender' is not a part of the stem. Neither the threaded part nor the opposite part.

A stem extender is just an added prolonge, used to (guess!) extend the length of a stem whose threaded part has been mistakenly cut too short.

Exactly just that thing that we talked about and that was on the cousinsuk site.

So (should Ubi don't have the needed stem) don't use a keyword 'extender' in your search, just 'stem' or 'crown stem' (naturally besides '6497', 'watch movement', or so).

tnx again sssurfer...that is what I tought...will do a search for the spare part...i need it badly to finish the modding of my 111h...

tnx again sssurfer...that is what I tought...will do a search for the spare part...i need it badly to finish the modding of my 111h...

@dadog13

You can order 6497 stem from Cousins directly. Just mail guy called Phil Marshall (PhilMarshall@clockspares.com) and ask for it. I Just received mine. If you need just one I can give you one of mine, since they sell package of three pcs (3,50 GBP). If you want to orderit ask for: UNITAS 6497.1 TAP 12 STEMS

BTW, they also have "correct length" hour wheel and cannon pinion for 6,50 GBP.

regards

dadog... No luck. Sorry, my friend. I thought I had one spare... Ended up being a Valjoux 23 stem instead.

This part should be easy to source... Most any parts supply house should stock it; cost should be a few bucks...

Best of luck...

Regards,

Randy

dadog... No luck. Sorry, my friend. I thought I had one spare... Ended up being a Valjoux 23 stem instead.

This part should be easy to source... Most any parts supply house should stock it; cost should be a few bucks...

Best of luck...

Regards,

Randy

Hi Randy...

thanks anyway for the nice gesture...another member - Z3ko - offered me one...and I've contacted cousins and some other supplier...they have it on stock...and they answere my e-mail in 5 min...great too..

thanks to all members that offered me help!