When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why did I do it ?

Don't think there's much chance for a helping post but thought I'd notify others of a possible

weakness in the Pam 196 7753....

I have been eyeing that date changing button on the case,... something inside of me told

me not to use it,.... well today I didn't listen to that little voice and now I can't change my

date by either that button or the crown date-set function..

I have to manually wind the hands to get any response.... <_<

Oh, well now I have to send it in for servicing,....

Lesson learned..

Yes,,,,why did I do it????????????? I couldn't help trying out the date changing button on my 188 (which is up for sale) and some strange stuff also happened. I could change about 4 or 5 dates in a row, then nothing. However, if I gave the rotor a spin or changed the time, I could change the date again. Oh well,,guess I'll have to send this one in also.....I'm glad I caught this before I sold it. thanks...

Now I am confused. On my older 196 and 188 the quick dateset button worked fine. In fact, if I remember correctly, there is no date set function on the crown. Ziggy would know as he recently had them. Is this a function of the other factory's changes when they took over production. I know Chris's version is the new one. Is yours as well, Richard?

The quickset date button is exactly the same as the gen and nothing has changed with the different cases. The only way to change the date on the 7753 is by this button or by advancing the hands. There is no position on the crown for date setting.

DO NOT use the quickset button to change the date between 23.00 - 02.00 (I cannot remember the exact times but that is close enough), as it then interferes with the mechanism for rolling the date over with the normal passing of time - during these times you need to change the date by advancing the hands. This applies to any VJ movt with a quickset date. The rep makers unfortunately do not include instructions so you would not have known.

The quickset date button is exactly the same as the gen. The only way to change the date onthe 7753 is by this button or by advancing the hands. There is no position on the crwon for date setting.

BUT - You must NOT use the quickset button to change the date between certain times as it interferes with the mechanism for rolling the date over with the normal passing of time. I cannot remember the exact times but I think it is between 23.00 - 02.00 - during these times you need to change the date by advancing the hands. This applies to any VJ movt with a quickset date. The rep makers unfortunately do not include instructions so you would not have known.

That is one of the reasons I never use the quick set date function. As I recall, it is sometime between 11 and 4 in the morning, which agrees with your times.

That is one of the reasons I never use the quick set date function. As I recall, it is sometime between 11 and 4 in the morning, which agrees with your times.

Nothing wrong with using it as this is how it is designed to be - exactly the same with a real PAM. The times are only 23.00-02.00 (not 04.00). This is because the datewheel gear has a cam that engages with the teeth of the datewheel and rotates it to the next date during these times. So when using the quickset this cam needs to be clear of the teeth on the inner edge of the date wheel to allow the wheel to freely rotate when the quickset pusher is pushed.

I was very careful,... set the time to 6pm, before I pushed the button.

I noticed that the date only moved slighty,.. so I pushed a bit harder, and the date moved about half

way then would not move any further.

So I pulled out the crown & worked the hands past 12 which changed the date fully.

I then put the hands back to 6 going for another button try,.. figuring that maybe it was

somehow frozen with neglect.

Same thing,.. only half changed.

Repeated the hand change, then wondered about the crown date change function,..and found

that it's spinning freely now,.. no connection to the date wheel.

{kruzer, it used to have one I used it all the time}

Also on a side note last nite I had a thought that some of the other functions may be

affected, so I tried the chronograph,.. and seemed fine until the chrono hand reached the 11:58,

then it stopped.

I stopped it manually anyway and reset it,.. it came back dead 12,..

No more playing,... this baby is going to The Zigmeister.

Funny how I have had such great luck with the Asian 7750s and now this with the Swiss 7753 ?

Go figure :huh:

I was very careful,... set the time to 6pm, before I pushed the button.

I noticed that the date only moved slighty,.. so I pushed a bit harder, and the date moved about half

way then would not move any further.

So I pulled out the crown & worked the hands past 12 which changed the date fully.

I then put the hands back to 6 going for another button try,.. figuring that maybe it was

somehow frozen with neglect.

Same thing,.. only half changed.

Repeated the hand change, then wondered about the crown date change function,..and found

Seems like we might have a similar problem. With mine, I can use quick set date to advance about 5 days and then it totally stops. but if I pull out the crown and reset the hands, then use the quick set date again, I can get another few days out of it. It would be interesting to see what the problem is, but I just sold it. I am glad you posted this,,,and actually happy I pressed that button and was able to fully describe the problem to the person who bought it. This is just the kind of stuff that can make a deal go bad. I'll try to keep track of it and we can see if it is the same problem.

I would think it unlikely a fault with the actual movt. It could be that the movt spacer ring which has cut-outs for the pushers may not be aligned in the case so that the date pusher is not free to move properly.

On some watches the pusher is a long rod going through the spacer directly contacting the movt and on others it is a short rod with another floating rod bridging the gap in the spacer ring.

Thanks Finepics,..you are right I'm sure.

I would attempt a fix, but have visions of me removing the caseback and springs & gears

popping out all over the room :p

Besides I'm the type that seems to always have a few parts left over after a fix job...

I have contacted Zig & will send it off,.. it needs a lube regardness, the rotar could be heard

clear across the room...

Thanks for everyone's input ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Finepics,..you are right I'm sure.

I would attempt a fix, but have visions of me removing the caseback and springs & gears

popping out all over the room :p

Besides I'm the type that seems to always have a few parts left over after a fix job...

Oh dear - the mind boggles!!!

I had a similar date sticking problem with the first swiss 196 from river. He quickly exchanged it and everything has worked fine since. Hopefully it is something as simple as a malaligned datewheel. I love my watch and now even more with the new davidsen hands,minus the chrono sub dials. I am one of those people that want everything to work properly. It would drive me crazy otherwise. so......I had to push the button, repeatedly :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Sometimes when you advance the date several days with the quickset, the outer set button will pop out but the plunger underneath sticks. If it stays in the depressed position, it will interfere with the date setting either through button or the crown. Usually, this is just a matter of the movement being properly oiled- which unfortunatley, most of the 7753s have not been.

I hope yours is a similarly simple fix.

-O

Sometimes when you advance the date several days with the quickset, the outer set button will pop out but the plunger underneath sticks. If it stays in the depressed position, it will interfere with the date setting either through button or the crown. Usually, this is just a matter of the movement being properly oiled- which unfortunatley, most of the 7753s have not been.

I hope yours is a similarly simple fix.

-O

This is because the pusher should be one piece with a rod that goes all the way through the spacer, but the reps have the pusher cut short (this is why the pusher in the asian 7750 188/196 appears to be a dummy - it's not but it is blocked by the spacer ring which has no cut-out) so to replace the cut off part there is a small metal cylinder that sits in the spacer that connects the pusher to the movt lever and this is what might hang.