When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 177 vs 111i

ajminla

Ok. I love Panerai so much that after getting a couple of replicas (111h and fiddy) I decided to find a gen. I am wondering what the consensus is on the 111h vs a 177 titanium. As this group is so well informed on Pans I was wondering what people thought. TIA

Personally I don't like the sandwich dial in the 44mm case so I wouldn't buy either the 111 or 177 in the H - J series. For me Panerai is all about history and heritage and the painted dial is the way to go in the 44mm models. Therefore, if buying a new watch I would go for the 005 (or 000) or buy an older model. Amongst Paneristi there is a growing concern about increased yearly production and diminished exclusivity which has brought a greater interest in older models, particularly the 'T' dials etc.

Why not aim for a mint B, C or D series 111 (with a closed back) which is still an affordable 'classic' Panerai. These are harder wearing and lees prone to scratches than the much softer titanium and can be polished again if needed. Also they will at least hold their current resale value and will probably increase over time, unlike a new purchase. Whatever you choose enjoy your watch.

I have had both 111 and 177's (both rep and genuine in both :) )

My decision was to keep the genuine 177G -- I much prefered the "sausage" dial to the newer "sandwich" dials -- also with the 177G it was limited production for only one year and 500 pieces -- not limited edition but rather limited production -- so it is nicely collectable -- much more so than the newer editions (H, I , etc). I personally preferred the 177 to the 111 because it fit better into my collection in the titanium -- this PAM is a weekend tool watch for me -- and I love the titanium look with a black shell cordovan strap :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Both are very nice -- personally I would go with the 005 logo the 111 if you were going to go stainless. BTW - having had both 111 and 177 I will say that the 111 scratched much more easily than the 177 does, I know everyone says Ti scratches more -- but my experiece with a number of watches is the opposite -- and small scratches rub out easily I have found.

Thanks for the information. It's amazing how much better informed this group is over history and details than the AD. Someone also offered me a 111G. I think it has a limited production of 2000 units and the painted dial and the decorated movement - again - I think (I do not have any reference books). Any thoughts?

I have had both 111 and 177's (both rep and genuine in both :) )

My decision was to keep the genuine 177G -- I much prefered the "sausage" dial to the newer "sandwich" dials -- also with the 177G it was limited production for only one year and 500 pieces -- not limited edition but rather limited production -- so it is nicely collectable -- much more so than the newer editions (H, I , etc). I personally preferred the 177 to the 111 because it fit better into my collection in the titanium -- this PAM is a weekend tool watch for me -- and I love the titanium look with a black shell cordovan strap :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Both are very nice -- personally I would go with the 005 logo the 111 if you were going to go stainless. BTW - having had both 111 and 177 I will say that the 111 scratched much more easily than the 177 does, I know everyone says Ti scratches more -- but my experiece with a number of watches is the opposite -- and small scratches rub out easily I have found.

Thanks for all the help. I decided to go with the 177 after going to a local AD and checking out the 111, 005, 000, and 177. I will post pics when it arrives. Now I need to figure out what to do with my Eddie Lee 1950 and 111h which have been relumed, canon fixed and serviced by The Zigmeister a couple of months ago.

you cannot go wrong either way! just don't get it new. save some $$ on a nice used one off paneristi or timezone.. they both hold their value very well but the 111 seems to sell faster and hold better percent of it's value. i personally prefer the sandwich dial as it gives it another dimension. i love my 111i... it's mey second favorite to my 183g. nothing like the genuine quality. :thumbsupsmileyanim: