When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub 1680 MBW vs CN 1680

tgchrono2

For the money the CN is a good watch (almost 1/3 the cost) it also uses a better movement than the MBW. The two biggest faults here are the retaining ring that holds the crystal in and the bezel. neither watch is water proof, neither watches dial use the correct coronet and neither watch will fool a expert. That said the CN after the CGs are filed and a gen crystal is installed is a nice watch. If your a Noob like me really I wouldn't worry about the MBW as none of the dealers will sell you one anyhow. They are very selective about their client

Edited by tonyp1

For the money the CN is a good watch (almost 1/3 the cost) it also uses a better movement than the MBW. The two biggest faults here are the retaining ring that holds the crystal in and the bezel. neither watch is water proof, neither watches dial use the correct coronet and neither watch will fool a expert. That said the CN after the CGs are filed and a gen crystal is installed is a nice watch. If your a Noob like me really I wouldn't worry about the MBW as none of the dealers will sell you one anyhow. They are very selective about their client

"it also uses a better movement than the MBW..."

What you are talking about,they use the same Movement ETA 2836-2 or when you get one Eta 2846...

Man the CN 1680 is poor quality,Markers on the Dial have wrong size,Printing is bad etc...

The steel is poor quality and so on......

UMM the newer models may be using a ETA but older models used MIYOTA movements. Steel quality is fine on the CN both watches have poor quality dials. I have a Gen 1680 and the CN for $180.00 is a nice watch.

Im sorry but the MBW 1680 is not worth $400. When I was in the market for one about six months ago members were offering them to me for $600/$700. Like I said this is all academic as 80% of the members on this board couldn't get george or TTK to sell to them.

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic....;highlight=1680

Edited by tonyp1

Im sorry but the MBW 1680 is not worth $400. When I was in the market for one about six months ago members were offering them to me for $600/$700. Like I said this is all academic as 80% of the members on this board couldn't get george or TTK to sell to them.

Ooops, I'm totally confused here. :o

Why such a debate Tony?

Tribal's thread of October 2006 is clear, helpful and makes it all obvious (I really want to bump it and probably will in minutes).

Also, my experience with TTK / MBWs is:

1. A 1680 MBW costs 350$ shipping included and not 400$ (but even if it was 450$ it's worth the money).

2. He sold me one 1680 (and many other MBWs) although I am a SuperNoob.

Just my 1680 cents ;)

Cheers

Stephane

Oh, and by the way, here some shots of another 1680 I got from Edge. Belive me Tony, I do not regret it at all !

261778-5257.jpg

261778-5258.jpg

261778-5259.jpg

261778-5260.jpg

My CN accepted a gen crystal.

I dont deny that the MBW is a better watch. It should be at 2x the price. Its also not as ready available as the CN.There must be some reason Joshua and Andrew choose not to carry MBW.

Edited by tonyp1

Ok Tony.

Well I have two comments:

1. You are very lucky if it does, and I'm very happy for you (I mean it) ;)

2. Many experts here came to the same conclusion: MBW (or TW Best for some others) are not only the best but the only correct base for mods :g:

As a newbie in these matters, please forgive me if I trust RWG experts better and do not want other noobs to thing they can get a "perfect sub" for 200$ when it needs at least 4 times that budget and hundreds of hours of reading to get even close to a gen.

Without even saying that the best moders down here have no time to answer all the requests they receive!

Cheers

Stephane

As a fellow noob Ill tell you that with subs mostly what your paying for on MBWs are the CGs and the bezel. The dials, crowns. bracelets and movements are mostly the same on as any $188 sub. The rehaut can be a problem on cheaper subs. Anyone who is moderately good with modeling or working with metal can file the CGs to look acceptable.

Tony,

Here is a good example of what we are talking about.

A fellow proudly showed me his sub that he got while being in Hong Kong for 40$.

Watching it on his wrist from meters away I could not say if it was a shiti one or ...

So again, unless you have an RWG expert around, it's hard to answer this fundamental question: who has the best sub ;-)

Cheers

Stephane

I just went for the 1665 MBW. According to Ubi, fewer dial issues than the 1680s. Getting it from TTK but I've been around for a while. Water resistance tested, QCd and regulated if necessary.

But you are right about the avalanche of mods. I'm already looking at a $300+ service from Ziggy for a tube/crown, vintage lume, springbar drilling and aftermarket crystal replacement.

I almost pulled the trigger on a $100 31 year old NIB bezel insert and a $250 genuine flat Tropic 39 on the bay before rationality set in. It will all happen in time.

All i can say MBW 1680 or 1665 where never powered by a miyoto movement...

Not the first ones not the present ones....

Sometimes they come with ETA 2846 but never with miyota movements...

By the way the CN 1680 is a bad copy of the MBW...

Most MBW cases are 440 Steel not 316L with is much easier to work on...