When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Elgin / IWC

rotwild

hi all.

I want to share with you some pics and maybe ask for additional info...

I just got a genuine very old Elgin watch in a genuine IWC casting.

this watch has b. with the family for over 100 years, unf. I can not get any infromation about why / when did these U.S. guys sell movements to IWC.

I already have some info about this old mans watch, but still not getting smart from the history.

please if you have smt. to share about its origin, let me know.

thank you.

post-4281-1181558339_thumb.jpg

post-4281-1181558398_thumb.jpg

Ok I'm the last guy to be able to give you info on this but I have seen other cases where the members have pointed someone in the same position as yours towards the online antique auction sites.

I also remember that member Omni knew of a few places to check into these watches.

Ken

Ok I'm the last guy to be able to give you info on this but I have seen other cases where the members have pointed someone in the same position as yours towards the online antique auction sites.

I also remember that member Omni knew of a few places to check into these watches.

Ken

well, thank you buddy, will drop him a note... Im just into finding out what it is...

thx again!

I have some useful information for you hopefully.

Your movement is a grade 303 movement manufactured in 1925, size 12s, 7 jewels. (The 303 was made from 1903 to 1939.)

It is common to have different movements in different cases, I think the value as a pocket watch comes from the movement, unless the case has intrinsic value as gold or outstanding workmanship.

I don't believe it has a big dollar value, but perhaps more importantly as a family piece it should be possible to maintain it with little trouble in the years to come. I think even ofrei sell these movements.

Nothing to do with this watch per se - but just out of general interest. IWC was founded by an American (International Watch Company). Elgin's name for many years was the "National Watch Company". Some of IWC's most famous pocket watch movements were called 'Elgins'. Don't know why, if someone does I'd be interested.

I'm no expert on pocket watches by any means, but I believe all of the above is sound. Here is a picture of a 303 to compare:

262026-5196.jpg

Thanks for showing us your wonderful watch!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

well.. thank you a lot...

for your info - from what I know - us technology that time was far better than swiss movements.

IWC was using these movements in that time because of low price = higher sales.

could be correct.

the dollar value is not important to me, this watch belonged to my grand father who got it from his father - who moved from europe to the US... came back just once and gave this piece of history to my grand father as a gift...

thank you for info!

I think I have something else as well. On the case, I don't think the IWC refers to International Watch Company Schaffhausen, I think it says "IWC Co" on the back, as in there's an extra 'c' in there. I think it belongs to the Illinois Watch Case Company, also of Elgin, Illinois.

Hope this helps!! :)