When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Accutron

700club

Can you guys educate me on these watches? A customer of mine had one on today and I thought it was pretty cool. What exactly are they?

Thanks Guys

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Tuning fork baby...it's all about the tuning fork. Accutron (aka Bulova) patented the use of tuning forks in their watches to keep time. Tuning fork technology preceded quartz technology and was considered to be very, very accurate back in the day when everyone else was making automatic movement watches. Accutrons were used by NASA for space flight and were also used as state gifts from the US to foreign dignitaries/visitors. I have an accutron, but it is not a tuning fork movement.

Ultra accurate. Really friggin' accurate. I mean, better than any mechanical I've owned or own. Better than my Rolex 1520 and Rolex 1560 and 1575 movements. And my 5513 keeps +1 per 24 hours. The same for my 1675.

Get the 214 movement version, forget the 218 for starters. There is nothing in the world like a 214. Try to get one that has not been rephased as there is increased wear to the tuning fork tines that can occur over time. The best ones have built in voltage reducers (resistor) soldered into the electronics. Sure the Accu-cell batteries work, but they are kinda expensive compared to using Energizer 387S. Some 214s work fine with 387S, some you have to use Accu-cells. It's a hit or miss.

Here a few of mine, some are not in the fold anymore though. My favorites are the Astronaut and the very rare oversize Swiss version of the Spaceview. Try and find this Spaceview, I am sure that you can't!

30228-21.jpg30228-22.jpg30228-23.jpg

30228-24.jpg

There are like 20 spaceviews on ebay... may have to get one (250-500).

Yes Ebay, I have been eyeballing the Accutron Astronaut myself. Also considering a Marathon G-SAR. I just purchased another Seiko Orange Monster off Ebay, it never ends does it? LOL

:thumbsupsmileyanim: