When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NYC GTG

eddhead

An erstwhile chum, Slay, will be visiting the NYC area between July 10 and July 15. We would like to take advantage of his visit and schedule a GTG within that period. So far, several members have expressed a desire to attend, depending upon the dates

Please let us know if you would like to attend, and what your preference on dates is.

Thanks, Edd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about the location? I'm not very familiar with NYC.

Anyone that wants to attend should post the dates/times when he/she can make it. As Eddhead already said, I can make it from the 10th to the 15th. Maybe even a day or 2 before the 10th. I'm available all day (I'll arrange my other trips in&around NYC accordingly) except for the 10th and the 15th. On the 10th I can probably not make it till after 5pm.

Since noone made a suggestion for a place yet...

I just spoke to a friend who lives in NYC (but is out of town). He reccomended a few places (bars).

Plunge (Hotel Gansevoort Rooftop) he said the view is terrific! He also told me to go on mondays or tuesdays when its not so crowded (unless you guys want to party your socks off, which I doubt?).

Hudson Bar - sure looks nice from the pics I saw on their website!

Bull & Bear Bar - they are supposed to have very good steaks over there, in case anyone wants to eat.

White Horse Tavern - I think I have been there once, not 100% sure though. Supposed to be one of the oldest bars in New York?

Bar 89 - has probably the worlds most famous rest rooms :lol:

230 FIFTH - very nice view from the rooftop

Pravada - russian? bar i think

Broadway Lounge - nice view on the time square

These are just suggestions I got from a friend. I have never been to any of these places (except the tavern maybe). Maybe any of you New York guys are familiar with those places?!

Since noone made a suggestion for a place yet...

I just spoke to a friend who lives in NYC (but is out of town). He reccomended a few places (bars).

Plunge (Hotel Gansevoort Rooftop) he said the view is terrific! He also told me to go on mondays or tuesdays when its not so crowded (unless you guys want to party your socks off, which I doubt?).

Hudson Bar - sure looks nice from the pics I saw on their website!

Bull & Bear Bar - they are supposed to have very good steaks over there, in case anyone wants to eat.

White Horse Tavern - I think I have been there once, not 100% sure though. Supposed to be one of the oldest bars in New York?

Bar 89 - has probably the worlds most famous rest rooms :lol:

230 FIFTH - very nice view from the rooftop

Pravada - russian? bar i think

Broadway Lounge - nice view on the time square

These are just suggestions I got from a friend. I have never been to any of these places (except the tavern maybe). Maybe any of you New York guys are familiar with those places?!

sure, i have been to several the only one i would stay away from is Bull and Bear. There are far better steakhouse's in NY. Whitehorse Tavern. Let's first figure out what we want to do.. nice dinner perhaps! If we are into steak I would recommend either Sparks or Palm. If we want to drink aferwards, how upscale do you want to go? Local or fancy? Let's get some opinions...

I also know a great sake bar if anyone is interested...

I heard there is a great place that serves Brazilian beef steaks, maybe someone else knows where.

If you want to just have a down and dirty meet, go to Marcy Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn (I've been there).

A Jay-Z AP ROO would be appropriate :whistling:

Ed, have you been here? http://www.leshalles.net/ny_park.php

Located @ 28th & Park and it's reasonably by Manhattan standards.

Very nice place with good steaks & a nicely varied beer selection. Great bar as well. Lively plus they have tables for larger parties.

For steaks, this would be a place to consider. If interested in Italian, Continental or something else, I'm sure I could think of something. :)

I'm always up for steak :) As for pricing... as long as a simple steak wont cost 50$, i'm ok with it (Tajima cattle/Kobe beef is of course a lot more expensive :lol: ). I'm fine with a fancy place or a cheap dark-alley bar with stinky restrooms. I leave the choice up to you NY guys ;)

Have you guys ever heared of Gallagher

Hope we can decide on where to meet soon, I think somebody from NYC ought to make the decision based on what we are going to do. Eat, drink, and talk about reps? We could do that almost anywhere. So: my 2 cents: I'm good anywhere, will eat anything except raw fish, and am good for any day except the 15th. It would be OK with me if it was lunch or an early dinner, I'm about 1 1/2 hours out of the city by train, and wouldn't want to get home real late. I'd also be interested in a Canal St. excursion to feed my new 'pooper-rep' habit. If anybody else was interested in perusing their wares, it'd be pretty easy to do Italian, seeing as Little Italy is right down the street. How 'bout the rest of you folks?

I'm always up for steak :) As for pricing... as long as a simple steak wont cost 50$, i'm ok with it (Tajima cattle/Kobe beef is of course a lot more expensive :lol: ). I'm fine with a fancy place or a cheap dark-alley bar with stinky restrooms. I leave the choice up to you NY guys ;)

Have you guys ever heared of Gallagher

Guest lcdr2007
I heard there is a great place that serves Brazilian beef steaks, maybe someone else knows where.

If you want to just have a down and dirty meet, go to Marcy Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn (I've been there).

A Jay-Z AP ROO would be appropriate :whistling:

Ahhh, the Marcy Houses, my old stompnig grounds....Those streets have alot of stories to tell! Some I can't tell in front of wifey! ;)

Virtually all steak houses are priced like Gallaghers so be forewarned. Jetson's place may be more reasonable. As I am not the leader but merely an attendee I would vote for Manhattan and I would probably go with something more kitschy. Something like Acme Bar and Grill for cajun chicken or chicken fried steak. It is a louder and more rowdy environment but prices are pretty reasonable. Not end all or be all but I think we may want to think more along those lines.

Also, someone should actually start the actual date discussion so that we can firm up who can show up when. I am ducking that responsibility as I am out of the country. ;)

Ed, have you been here? http://www.leshalles.net/ny_park.php

Located @ 28th & Park and it's reasonably by Manhattan standards.

Very nice place with good steaks & a nicely varied beer selection. Great bar as well. Lively plus they have tables for larger parties.

For steaks, this would be a place to consider. If interested in Italian, Continental or something else, I'm sure I could think of something. :)

I have!! It is a nice place... a bit loud but that shouldn't be a problem. Kind of a french bistro nothing spactacular but a good kind of in between place and well situated. . I think they take reservations too. Is this ok with everyone?

I agree with Kruzer's comments on a steakhouse. A good one will at least $75-100 per person all -in, maybe more.

Oh yes, I have to add, I do not eat fish or anything else out of the ocean except for fish sticks!

I'm also up for a Canal St. excursion (as a matter of fact I was going to mention this, but somehow I forgot).

dude, i know a GREAT chinese restuarant off canal street. probalby not suitable for a GTG but if you are going to be in town for more than one day, I can send you a reference. Jetsons has been there as well.

I also know of a nice Italian restaurant in Little Italy with a great court yard. We would have to take a chance with the weather but it's also close to Canal Street which some folks want to visit. I'm not sure they have steak but they do serve a terrific veal chop.

The CN place is great casual dining but I suspect they don't accept reservations. They would probably work with us given sufficient lead time...but we need an accurate head count. Their staff can probably spot all the reps. :lol:

I also know of a nice Italian restaurant in Little Italy with a great court yard. We would have to take a chance with the weather but it's also close to Canal Street which some folks want to visit. I'm not sure they have steak but they do serve a terrific veal chop.

The CN place is great casual dining but I suspect they don't accept reservations. They would probably work with us given sufficient lead time...but we need an accurate head count. Their staff can probably spot all the reps. :lol:

agree the CN placd won't work for the GTG ... I was thinking it as another place of interest... ok, i gotta know.. which restuarant are you referring to in little Italy? I

I'm fine with whatever you guys work out. as long as its not fish :lol:

I can get online at the place where i am right now, so I can check every once in a while if you guys have any updates.

so let's start picking a date. Please PM me with your availability from 7/10 to 7/15. We'll try to accomodate everyone.

A friend just re-opened a once popular club, which hit hard times in the mid nineties. I am a silent partner in the deal (1/2 $). Anyway, it is his vision and so far (6 weeks in), the place is hot. The basic tenet of the place is steaks and naked sushi bar. Interesting combo. I've been around the forums for a couple of years, but rarely (if ever), do I post. Let me know when you are looking to have this NYC GTG, how many people are anticipated to show, and it can be held at the club. This way, you'll be able to get a lot, but not pay NYC prices.... Its a possibility and its available to you guys. Either way, I would like to make it to the GTG and get to put some faces with the names of people whose opinions & discussions I respect and enjoy!