When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bell and Ross from Paul

eddhead

@slay, what's funny about your tirade is that i don't disagree with your theory about why other collectors don't have access to these watches. it's a pretty likely argument.

my whole point was that i think luisik is full of sh!t in saying that he's seen the hublot big bang and breitling chronomat evolution reps for sale in the markets at the same prices as our other reps. if this were the case, some new collector would realize that they could make a nice profit by selling them to us at a price lower than the inflated prices of our existing collectors.

and your point that what's going on with the prices on super reps is the same as idealwatches or bestswiss is an apples and oranges comparison -- those sites sell watches that can be freely bought on the markets for $100 or less for $1,000 or more. my point is that you can't buy these watches in the markets at deeply discounted prices -- they just aren't available. the factory that is making these watches probably finally realized -- hey, i'm the only source for these popular, well repped watches -- i can charge higher prices.

the whole point of pugwash's thread that i linked to earlier is just that -- they CAN charge higher prices, and people will continue buy the watches.

deltatahoe

How do you know that? Have you ever actually bought a piece from them?

HA HA HA, got you there :bleh::victory::black_eye:

Guest lcdr2007

I believe luisik's point was to educate folks to the possible detrimental effect these ever increasing prices have on this hobby. I just recently got into reps, purchasing 5 pieces over a two month period. I was just getting revved up about some more watches when I started to step on the brakes, noticing the recent dramatic price increases. I'm sure theres plenty of watch afficianados like me with champagne tastes on a beer budget. It seems as though just as quickly as I got into this because of affordable prices, I'll be getting back out because of the recent inflation. I don't know if these price increases are justified for the level of quality or not. Thats up to someone else to debate. But as larger numbers of people reduce their buying habits, the market becomes reduced to the few who're willing to pay higher and higher prices and the dealers will simply cater to them. That may eventually drive a stake through the heart of this whole thing and all that'll be left will be the pricey so-called 'super-reps' at one end of the spectrum and Canal St garbage at the other. :(

• 5 weeks later...

lcdr 2007,

I'm in the same boat as you are. Love the watches but have few spare coins to buy them.

$ 300 a pop is just too rich for me.

And the guys who pay this are inflating the prices. More power to them.

That said, I think the dollar vs. Huan thing is sure to escalate against us big time, soon.

My advice is to buy watches now before they are unaffordable, tho' I doubt we'll see any profit from them lest you're a good salesman. Can't put a price on sheer amusement tho',... just passing the time.

My bargains ? Jos's Beginmariner at $108 shipped. And just today ordered, Ruby's SFSO $ 165 with alternate leather strap shipped.

ND