When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would a movement survive if the watch is not worn?

Jumbie

Let's say I bought a rep and somehow managed to misplace it e.g. house move, or just parked it in a drawer. Then 5-6 years later, I find it again. Would it still work fine?

I'd think that provided it was properly oiled and stuff (so that any parts that might rust up wouldn't) that there'd be no problem. I don't see why not but who knows with these things so I'm going to ask.

I'm pretty sure that I saw The Zigmeister say somewhere that a watch needs to be serviced every 5 years or so cause the oils would "dry out" or whatever so that gives me some reason to question.

Thanks.

Ah, now to just get a well-built one. :lol:

Been doing a little more reading and it seems like oil will dry out over time on it's own. I admit that I did not know this. I honestly thought that it could just sit there forever if "unused".

Thanks The Zigmeister.

heh, so much for hoping that I could get away with a watch that's not worn frequently and is stored most of the time e.g. something a bit more dressy used on formal occasions. That wasn't the purpose of this post but it was an idea.

There won't be any wear on the parts if the watch is not running...but the oils will all be dried up and gummed up.

It would be smart to have the watch serviced before you used it, or you risk damage when it starts running.

RG

The Zigmeister, does that still apply with the new synthetic oils like Moebius 9010/9020 or is it more applicable to natural oils?

Ziggy, does that still apply with the new synthetic oils like Moebius 9010/9020 or is it more applicable to natural oils?

I think the only synthetic oils I use and have are 9010 and 9415. Since the movements need D5, 8141, and 8217, which are not synthetic, I guess it doesn't matter...even if the synthetic ones survive, they only make up 2 wheels and the pallet and escape wheel...the remainder will be dried up.

RG

I think the only synthetic oils I use and have are 9010 and 9415. Since the movements need D5, 8141, and 8217, which are not synthetic, I guess it doesn't matter...even if the synthetic ones survive, they only make up 2 wheels and the pallet and escape wheel...the remainder will be dried up.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister! That answers a lot of questions I see about service intervals on many watch forums! You've confirmed my suspicions... :victory:

I've got some watches passed down from my grandfather. (they are not replicas but they are not famous brands either... all hand wind. some wrist watches and a pocket watch)

they are more than 50years old and they were kept in a drawer without working for maybe the last 10years or more...

they all work fine now.

so... I don't think an old-school handwind swiss movement watch (no matter replica or gen) will have problems after years... I'm not sure on Asian movements though... but FYI, I'm no expert :)

This is opening up old threads and opinions.......sigh! but.....sorry.....you miss the point.

'They all work fine now' Yes 'now' but only for a short time, you are running them dry. If you continue to use them you will increase wear and cause damage, possibly expensive damage. Just because they tick and seem to work and keep good time does not mean you aren't damaging them.

Let me give you an example. Three of the Harrison Longitude clocks, H1, H2 & H3 Marine Chronometers are still running at the Greenwich observatory in London. They are able to do so because i) they where restored in the early 20th century and ii) because of Harrison's clever invention and use of self lubricating wood gears in critical areas. His Last watch H4 is not run...why? Because it needs constant maintenance and lubrication. It is far too precious to be treated in any other way so it is not run for fear of wear and damage.

This is opening up old threads and opinions.......sigh! but.....sorry.....you miss the point.

dear NRG, sorry I forgot to add; I had them all serviced and oiled. :)

but nothing big deal, no parts changed, no big service has been made. just cleaning the movement and oiling...

I mean they didn't need major service or changing of some parts after those years.

Edited by deepsea

dear NRG, sorry I forgot to add; I had them all serviced and oiled. :)

but nothing big deal, no parts changed, no big service has been made. just cleaning the movement and oiling...

I mean they didn't need major service or changing of some parts after those years.

That's alright then! :lol: You did the right thing, they should last for many more years to come...

Hell yeah.

Sitting put in a nice dry place they'll last for longer than your lifetime. Modern oils don't dry as quickly, some 10+ year old watches will still run pretty well if restarted after that long a sit. But, like The Zigmeister said, just get them serviced and you'll have no worries. Don't freak out if you wound the watch after a long sit though. It won't suffer any damage from that. Just don't wear it much before you get it cleaned and oiled. Despite our small quarrel here on the forum, I can with great confidence recommend him for service from what I've seen him post. He is old school and seems to be very meticulous. And he looks like a major wiz with the lume, too. (Not kissing his ass, just offering my opinion.)