When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's That season again..

Everythingape

Some of you city folk might not be bothered by them, but mosquitos and other flying, biting insects are the devil in the summer for some of us rural people.. They can ruin a beautiful calm summer evening and night.

We've seen a few traps appear in gardens around norway, and they actually seem to be working very well.

I've been 'researching' it online for the past days, and it seems there's one brand that stands out; The Mosquito Magnet. They outscore most anything else in tests.

265637-4599.jpg

Not very pretty..

This is a cordless model, the Liberty Plus. I see them for sale in Scotland, and since I am in port there every few days this month (peterhead), I'm thinking about picking one up to try it out at home.

On the island where I grew up, vegetation has been left unchecked the last 30 years, so it's overgrown and is starting to get a real problem with the flying suckers, so I might try it out there.

Anybody have any experience with mosquito traps? Other brands and patents I should look into?

-Ape-

I'm always a bit suspicious of products that claim to take on an entire environment. We use good insect repellent and that does the job - when we have visitors from Europe they often ask to take it back with them because products like "Aeroguard" seem to work better than the stuff they can buy back home. That's only anecdotal, but it might be worth trying. Definitely look for any still water around the property, anywhere rainwater gathers, and move it / empty it / turn it over where possible - that can cut down nearby breeding.

For the insect repellent check out these ingredients and see if they're the same as your local repellent:

11.47% DEET, 4.18% DPI, 2.77% OBD w/v

That definitely works 100% at stopping mosquito bites. If not, get some sent over from down under.

[And enjoy your next Peterhead stopover! lol Wasn't that recently voted The Happiest Place on EarthTM?! (I'm kidding.... :p But at least there's nice cake in one of the tea rooms (on Broad Street?...Can't remember)) - compensates slightly for the rest of the town]

You need two industrial size fans that are 4 feet in diameter aimed opposite and blowing across the area needing to be covered. There should be enough wind power generated to blow away all flying insects who fly near the zone. I have not tried this myself but in theory it should work. Might be loud and windy but definitely no mosquitoes to bug you. Cheers :D

I was in Cyprus recently where there was a problem, and we used a plug that had some sort of liquid in it that dispersed over time but kept the mosquitoes away.

In Asia, we used nets while sleeping, and that is always advisable! Once I woke up after a long trip out there and had a mosquito buzzing in my ear :thumbdown:

Since that, my aversion to them is even greater and I'll clap my hands in the air and kill as many of them that way - even if there are more to replace them.

At least in Cyprus there weren't too many and they preferred to bite my friend instead!

Those are props from Starship Troopers 2, Nanuq! :D

And we have clegs in norway too! Size of an F-16, with mean red eyes. ..at least you hear them before you see them.

Anyway: I know what you're saying about repellents, I use effective stuff when I am on hikes or when I go freshwater fishing.. Works great for those.. But I want to enjoy my evening out on the deck without having to lube up with anything, and I don't want mosquitos around at all!

There's no doubt the CO2+octenol+vacuum concept works, I read an article about a norwegian project:

They have a huge outdoor theatre site where they placed a number of traps, 5 I think, around the parameter. This desimated the mosquito population in the nearby area, and people can enjoy the plays without having to clap when there's nothing to clap for.

I have also heard horror stories where they placed the trap so their house was standing between the breeding/hatching ground and the trap, thus resulting in becoming a snack stop for the suckers on their way to the trap.

@raijor Great theory about the fans.. But.. Wind.. is one thing we don't need more of on the western shores of Norway. ;)

@cornerstone Peterhead.. city of smiles and bright buildings.. Prisoners are punished twice over.