When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Alaskan wilderness

Nanuq

I spent the last couple days waaaaay out in the wilds of Alaska. It wasn't until I got out there that I realized I left my camera home! I sure regret that, I could have posted some amazing photos here.

I spent a lot of time by the ocean on some bare granite shores where glaciers had worn the stone down in amazing carved shapes. Looking from horizon left to horizon right, I would bet there wasn't more than maybe 1 or 2 other humans as far as the eye could see, and that was easily 100 miles. I sat there for hours this afternoon with my dog, watching the ocean and thinking about life. Something dead washed up on the shore about 400 meters away and bald eagles began to arrive. Before a half hour had passed there were 18 bald eagles flying and wheeling over the carcass, fighting and making those pathetic little tweet sounds they make. After they'd eaten the carcass they flew up into the winds and then began riding the thermals over my head. I was getting a little nervous for my dog, as eagles have been known to attack.

Tonight I am home, exhausted and completely sun and snow burnt. It was a magnificent trip. I wish I had my camera.