When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anybody have this Silix Breitling?

sixbennetts

hxxp://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1741 (change the hxxp to http)

It's model number BRES035.

Can anybody confirm that the double locking clasp is in fact removable via the screw connector on the flip end? It sure looks like it in the middle bottom picture, (when you click on it). Can this clasp be used without that band, or do the screws thread into the last link?

I've been wanting to make a custom leather band with a clasp like this, and I might have found the clasp to use. I've written to Silix, waiting for a response.

If anybody has this watch, can you check, please, and maybe take some measurements for me? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks all!

Donny

All the flip clasps I have seen, (I have a Navitimer Series Speciale, Chrono Avenger, Evolution, Bentley GT and Bentley 30's model) look like they have screws attaching this clasp but every one that I have - when you turn the bottom one the top one turns too. I have never been able to tighten them or remove them with a screw driver. This leads me to believe that they are pins with fake screw ends on them.

If any one else has direct information to the contrary I would be glad to hear it. But my experience with 5 different Breitling bracelets seems to point to fake screws.

Your project to create a band using he bracelet clasp is intriguing. I would think that the clasp could work but you would have to do some custom work. If you get the clasp to work you would need a custom strap with no holes puched in it. This would be a very cool strap/clasp combination. Keep us informed.

I find inspiration for these kind of projects by visiting the local hardware store, the kind that has every size and type of screw in small bins in the back. Look for small SS screws of the correct length or longer and see if if you can adapt or create replacement screws once you remove the clasp.

Good luck and keep us informed with pictures.

Usil

Hi Usil,

Thanks for the prompt reply! Yes, it is intriguing, isn't it? That one pin at the flip end of the clasp is the one thing holding me back. Most SS bands that have a flip-lock clasp are riveted to the band with a long pin, peened over at each end. I find removing that pin easy enough, but using a springbar to replace it is a little lacking in function and looks.

Having to modify a deployant strap is no big deal, I'll just measure twice, cut once, and form a loop where needed, and hand stitch it up. The clasp has *some* adjustment for stretching, so it should work when the leather stretches. I'm thinking as Bob Deployant, which doesn't have holes.

Most stainless steel watchbands come with some sort of double flip closure like this, and I've always preffered their sleek, no-nonsense look, especially on a watch like a Navitimer. All business, very professional. Plus, the contrast between the stainless case, transitioning to the leather band, and then another section of stainless on the clasp, and back to leather, just seems to work for my eye. Plus, I've never cared for the idea of having a very nice deployant, which is covered by the bands tail, tucked under a loop or two. Nobody sees that excellent little mechanism.

I got the inspiration from seeing a Rolex Daytona with a leather band and flip-lock clasp, which looked pretty cool. I thought the arangement would add to my Breitling Navitimer, which is arriving soon from Silix.

Don Gist sells something similar on Ebay, but this doesn't have the fine engraving of the Breitling name and anchor-B-wings.

I'll check out the hardware store for very fine screws and threaded shafts, and report back if I can complete this project, OK?

Thanks!

Donny

All the flip clasps I have seen, (I have a Navitimer Series Speciale, Chrono Avenger, Evolution, Bentley GT and Bentley 30's model) look like they have screws attaching this clasp but every one that I have - when you turn the bottom one the top one turns too. I have never been able to tighten them or remove them with a screw driver. This leads me to believe that they are pins with fake screw ends on them.

If any one else has direct information to the contrary I would be glad to hear it. But my experience with 5 different Breitling bracelets seems to point to fake screws.....

Usil

You are absolutely correct! i was thinking of the exact same mod just a little while ago. I tried to remove the screws but both ends turn and as Usil says, it seems like a pin made to look like a screw. Anyone have a gen they can try this with? I would love to see pics of anyone that has made this hybrid bracelet. I think it would look amazing with a good thick aligator strap!

Lonnie

Removing that pin wouild be destructive to the bracelet unless you are careful. Might have to snip it in the middle with cutting pliars and pull out from the sides.

A thick spring pin could be fitted as a replacement if you size it to the clasp. Initially, the ends of the spring pin would stick out of both ends but you could carefully file the ends flat to fit neatly in the clasp holes. This would provide the attachment point for one side of the strap. The other would have to be worked for the pin in the other part of the clasp.

The strap would have to be custom cut to fit everywhere but this should be doable if you provide the measurements to the strap maker.

Let's see you do this and show us the result.

Usil

Well, I heard back from Silix.

1.My new watch is on it's way!

2.The screws, (yes, they are small screws), thread into the end link of the bracelet.

I agree, a deployant strap seems to be the way to go, as it wouldn't have holes. The only mod you'd have to make is cutting the tip of the free end, see below. (I have big wrists, so might not have to cut it at all.

Usil, I find that filing the heads off these rivet-pins is the way to go. If you scratch the flip a little, just chase it with a Scotch Brite pad, and your marks will go away.

I have asked Silix if I can buy just the clasp, screws, and some extra pins. We'll see how it goes. I might go with the bigger springbar route for the flip-lock side, as suggested, as this is how the Don Gist clasp is held together. I had one of these which lasted years with no problems, so I know the design is strong enough. I think the key will be a thick springbar, and one that's just the right length as well.

About it's attachment to the clasp body, (the other side). I don't think a custom loop is needed here. If you go to this thread at RWG, and scroll down half way to Teejay's post with pictures, you'll see that he has sandwiched the free end under a springbar, (or two), which holds it nicely, and allows for very fine adjustment.

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...=36531&st=0

I would suspect this method would be strong enough, and if you're the worrying type, adding a springbar to every hole on this side should cure your ills. Dependent upon leather thickness, you might have to do a little leather crushing to get the bars in, which isn't a big deal. Clamping the band into a smooth-faced vice with a section of coat-hanger wire placed in just the right spot should give you a nice little furrow in the band right where you would want the sprinbar(s). Four little furrows = four springbars.

Now the bad news. Depending on your wrist size, it would mean cutting the end of the leather band, for maximun comfort. You could leave the tail against your wrist, I guess, but one of the things that appeal to me most is the streamlined look of this, and having a tail would really get in the way when closing the clasp.

I plan to cut the end with a new, single edge razor, and seal the end with Super Glue. I think if I open the end of the band tip, (like if you ripped the end off an envelope to remove it's contents from the end), and added a few drops down away from the cut edge, then clamped it. I would have a cut end that wouldn't split, and not look too bad as well. I would have to leave all the extra stitching thread I could, and just knot it, or maybe tuck the ends down the end hole. We'll see. This end doesn't concern me, as it would be under the clasp, and only seen when the watch is removed.

Your thoughts?