When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch experts: please help.

Corgi

Hello everyone,

Problem #1

I recently received a new watch. It has a problem, though. Although it tells time fairly accurately when being worn and in motion, it will only run for about thirty minutes to an hour before stopping (seconds hand stops in the exact same spot every time). The place where it stops is the watch's main "problem area". Even when it is working, the seconds hand will begin to sweep very unusually smoothly for about 5 seconds in this location, slow down almost to a stop, and then jolt back into place.

Quirk #1

Another problem is with setting the time. When I pull out the crown, the seconds hand keeps going for about five seconds before stopping. When I click the crown back in after setting the time, it will jolt a few seconds ahead as if to counter balance the time lost while it was pulled out.

Problem #2

Another problem is on the opposite side of problem area #1, so we'll call it problem area #2. The seconds hand sweeps normally here, except on certain beats it will pause for half-a-second longer. It's as if something is preventing it from going, and it has to fight its way to continue sweeping. This problem area, however, never fully stops the mechanism unlike problem area #1 which can and does stop it very frequently (sometimes even when stationary during wear).

Now, I have witnessed it stop on several occasions and usually a gentle jolt will let it keep going.

My question is as follows: is this a normal, non-serious issue that will eventually 'smoothing itself out' during the watch's break-in period? Or, is it a serious malfunction that could prove severely detrimental to its overall life in the long run?

DIY solutions, advice, questions, etc are welcome.

Thanks for Reading!

My question is as follows: is this a normal, non-serious issue that will eventually 'smoothing itself out' during the watch's break-in period? Or, is it a serious malfunction that could prove severely detrimental to its overall life in the long run?

DIY solutions, advice, questions, etc are welcome.

Thanks for Reading!

It is not normal. Get it serviced. Sounds like you have a wonky hack lever for one. Something is amiss. It won't work itself out. "Break in period "is a myth. If it doesn't work right from day 1, it isn't assembled properly or has crap floating around in the movement.

'

• 1 month later...

Corgi... did you ever resolve this issue? I am having an identical issue with one of my watches and have been reading up on movements, contemplating attempting to service it myself (not worth sending it out for a $100 watch, no?)

I had posted my problem along with a video in the Watch Repairs area but on a search today I stumbled upon your nice post here :)

Corgi... did you ever resolve this issue? I am having an identical issue with one of my watches and have been reading up on movements, contemplating attempting to service it myself (not worth sending it out for a $100 watch, no?)

I had posted my problem along with a video in the Watch Repairs area but on a search today I stumbled upon your nice post here :)

I spent