When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM advice

Victoria

So, after seeing one of the member's girlfriend's new Purdey PAM, I finally succumbed to the lure of the Paneristi mating calls.

The problem is, which one? They are so MACHO, and though I loved the Purdey, the reps do not look anything like the original in the Purdey site. And do I really want to keep the Lion cover on my beautiful Paneristi.

And yet, the Panerai is distinctive, and it's one of those watches that the more UNUSUAL you go, the better they look.

Here is my choice. Realise, I don't have too much $$ and I'm a newbie. This is as far as I can go, for the moment. :)

- Paul: http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=971

As a comparison, here is Andrew's. I don't see the difference in quality on sight. But maybe you experts can!

- http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...products_id=118

Do you have big wrists? It says 47mm that is a fairly large watch for a female IMHO. I have an average size wrist for a guy and I can barely get away with wearing a 44mm. It looks big on my wrist but not overbearing.

No, alas, I don't. They are average-to-small. I am of medium build overall, a bit top-heavy like the girlfriend of that chap pictured. ;)

So, I should keep looking right?

I was afraid the 44mm would look like a clown watch, and the 40mm is just too un-Panerai. The 47mm I thought would be something that would be beyond-clownish-looking, and distinctive, but perhaps not.

No, alas, I don't. They are average-to-small. I am of medium build overall, a bit top-heavy like the girlfriend of that chap pictured. ;)

I was afraid the 44mm would look like a clown watch, and the 40mm is just too un-Panerai. The 47mm I thought would be something that would be beyond-clownish-looking, and distinctive, but perhaps not.

Paul: http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1093

Radiomir. Same price, nice not overbearing-ly masculine-looking band, manual. Opinions?? :)

Actually the Rad is a 45mm case might be a bit large for a smaller wrist. The 111 or 177 are both classic best bets for a first Pam can't really go wrong with either just a matter of whether you like the polished Stainless or the darker more subdued (plus lighter weight) Titainium. And as for the 40mm Pams they really are a great choice some of them like the 050 are among the more accurate reps out there.

MK08

Actually the Rad is a 45mm case might be a bit large for a smaller wrist. The 111 or 177 are both classic best bets for a first Pam can't really go wrong with either just a matter of whether you like the polished Stainless or the darker more subdued (plus lighter weight) Titainium. And as for the 40mm Pams they really are a great choice some of them like the 050 are among the more accurate reps out there.

MK08

I've been refreshing like mad, because I'm just about to go out for the evening, and Paul is awaiting my order. ;)

As far as the size, I'll take my chances, but what I'd REALLY like to know is if this Radiomir looks glaringly obviously a fake?

Thanks for the advice, MK08, either way!

I've been refreshing like mad, because I'm just about to go out for the evening, and Paul is awaiting my order. ;)

As far as the size, I'll take my chances, but what I'd REALLY like to know is if this Radiomir looks glaringly obviously a fake?

Thanks for the advice, MK08, either way!

Hi that is a nice looking watch but it isnt really a Rad looks more like a fantasy model in the 44mm "fiddy style" case. Rads have wire lugs and 45mm case. Hope this helps ultimately go for what you like, but if you want an accurate model might want to just go for a base like the 111.

MK08

A 44mm is pushing it for most guys. I think a 40mm would be your best bet. The titanium and brushed look are very masculine and give it that outdoor rugged look. I think you could get away with a 44mm and it would look big, but not clown big. That cream color band would look nice on a lot of PAM's.

Hi that is a nice looking watch but it isnt really a Rad looks more like a fantasy model in the 44mm "fiddy style" case. Rads have wire lugs and 45mm case. Hope this helps ultimately go for what you like, but if you want an accurate model might want to just go for a base like the 111.

MK08

Fantastic. I don't necessarily like the wire lugs for the Panerai, but I saw that what you said about the Radiomir, is correct. I went to their site just now. Not sure what that crown contraption is called (I am a newbie) ;), but I prefer it on the PAMs.

I think I'll buy it, and keep an eye on a "gen"-rep PAM from Andrew next! Have a great night, MK08.

You might also want to consider a 42mm Radiomir.

Edit:

Oh, well, I see you already went for a 44mm.

Then you might want to consider it for your next purchase (once you start with PAMs there is no end... :) )