When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Josh's Beginner Mariner vs. His "Perfect" Sub

normanduke

Considering shipping, that beginnersub is over $100 less and really, only $ 108 itself with free shipping included. From the pix, the bracelet end clasps look rough, but to a newbie, the rest looks much the same as his Perefect ( which is an MBW ?). I understand there's an ETA movement in the Perfect, but the repro Myota movement may be fine. There's a lot of good stuff coming out of Asia these days.

This will be my 1st rep watch so absolute attention to detail such as CG shape is not as important to me as finish, quality feel and weight. I'm willing to take a chance on the Asian movement

Question : Will the case on this begginersub watch be very close to the case on his Perfect ? Is it at all possible that it is the same case ?

Another question : Somewhere in the past couple of days ( and I'm spending 10 hrs. at a clip reading this stuff and looking at watches [ I'm hooked ] ), I came upon a vintage Sea Dweller with the whole center links and cyclops eye which I like very much but don't remember where I saw it. Any of you hard core addicts know where I saw it ?

Norman

The beginmariner is not a bad watch to start with. In fact it's a good watch to start with. It has the great dial, good case, best positioning of the date window, good hollow link bracelet. I've been happy with the DG2813 movt- it's keeping good time. I think of it as a good beater- I wear it jogging, working out, doing yard work and I don't worry about beating it up a little. The next step up would be Paul's so called perfect sub, same case, bracelet, and dial as the beginmariner (all of these watches are referred to as noobs) but it has an eta movt.

The Perfect sub has the date window a little too far to the right, but it has the eta movt which has been serviced, is WR (o-rings lubed w/ silicone, pressured tested, I guess) and it has better rehaut. It's not a MBW case. And it's $200 more.

Keep reading, buy a Beginmariner and after that you can see what else you want to buy.

Thank you Aligoat for your comment. As a newbie, it is much appreciated.

Shortly after posting this, I "pulled the trigger " and ordered the beginmariner from Josh and I'm glad I did seein that you say the movement keeps good time. This is my first rep purchase so I guess I did OK. I am planning on wearing it to work, daily and I'll probably give it some love and care-type detailing.

This is a wild and crazy world I stumbled onto and I can see that there will be more watches in my future...thinking Omega Seamaster.

I so very nearly got scammed by " Bluefakes " that I can still feel the rush of air as the door slams shut. Thank God for the Visa card.

Norman