When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going High-End

piratedzeus

As I have sold all my cheap rep [censored] I know have only 1 watch left (uPO)... and my next rep should not be like the previous.. I want to have a rep that will last a bit (=> ETA), is accurate, and with mods not too expensive

Like the rep you will ever keep and you will be able to wear to every occasion - that you can pass of as gen - Imagine Ubi's collection! ( He REALLY is my hero)... if you read this ubi.. you better get some good door locks... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I really have no idea which watch to choose. I was always a Omega Guy but as the Seamaster is not the accuratest rep out there.... in other terms I really like it - kinda my favourite watch!

I was thinking about a MBW16610 but I am not sure whether it is worth it as the Noobmariner with ETA/DG2813 is already really accurate....

I was thinking about a MBW vintage rolex but the price for modding these are really out of any price range for me, 360$ and then still I would have to exchange almost the whole watch but the case AND pay a modder for this!

I am open for suggestions as I am kinda stuck with my currect collection...!

piratedzeus,

First off... Thanks for the kind comments :) I have found that all watch collecting (rep and gen), much like all other hobbies is an evolution in terms of personal expectation as well as preference and taste. As time has passed, I have found my collection to grow and shrink, shifting from one direction to another and sometimes coming around full circle to where I started. In short, if this hobby has taught me anything, it's patience and not jumping the gun too fast lest I make a decision that hindsight ends up biting me on once the dust settles (i.e. I sold a watch I wish I didn't, or waited too long and let one get away) :lol:

At any rate... What is your current preference in watches? Do you like modern or vintage? Sport, or dress? Maybe something in between? Are big watches your thing, or will something in the 38mm to 40mm range suffice? Will this be serving as daily wear? And finally... Simple, or complicated?

The answer to these questions may help narrow down a choice for you... Or it may help identify how many watches you'll end up wanting in your collection :)

piratedzeus,

First off... Thanks for the kind comments :)

have found that all watch collecting (rep and gen), much like all other hobbies is an evolution in terms of personal expectation as well as preference and taste. As time has passed, I have found my collection to grow and shrink, shifting from one direction to another and sometimes coming around full circle to where I started. In short, if this hobby has taught me anything, it's patience and not jumping the gun too fast lest I make a decision that hindsight ends up punishing me on once the dust settles (i.e. I sold a watch I wish I didn't, or waited too long and let one get away) :lol:

I know this... bought the 16610... sold it... have a pending enquiry for the same rep now again :black_eye:

At any rate... What is your current preference in watches? Do you like modern or vintage? Sport, or dress? Maybe something in between? Are big watches your thing, or will something in the 38mm to 40mm range suffice? Will this be serving as daily wear? And finally... Simple, or complicated?

Modern or vintage... I don't know... modern would be better I think.... sport or dress... BOTH! No PO on rubber... but also no cartier super dressy...

I like big watches, have a PO at the moment.. but 45mm is not the watch for every occasion right? So a bit smaller..

Yes daily wear, no plated clasps, would unplate these in weeks ;)

The answer to these questions may help narrow down a choice for you... Or it may help identify how many watches you'll end up wanting in your collection :)

Not over 5 :D

I don't think it's any secret that I'm enamored with this pair...

269754-3823.jpg

Very versatile, and beautifully finished. I find myself wearing these the most- In daily office or lounging around the house, going to do things with the kids, swimming etc. I just love the details and facets on these.

If you're looking for vintage... I agree with Pugs; a vintage MBW 1665 Great White is a terrific option. Fits nicely on the wrist, very comfortable, and goes great with casual attire (but a bit too thick to really wear in formal occassions). Costs a bit to buy and mod up, but there are a ton of options for these in terms of parts. Kingkitesurf has recently demonstrated that a gen movement (1570) can be retrofitted with a bit of effort.

For complicated, and maybe a bit on the higher scale of price, I would suggest building an El Primero Daytona (16520). Sure... It's a hefty entrance fee, but it's a piece that can be built to 99.999% specs, and one that you'll probably keep for the rest of your life. Also makes for a great daily wearer :)

Of course, there are many other options out there... The IWC 3717 looks to be a stellar piece. Same goes for the Vacheron Overseas. Lots of great choices out there, depending on your tastes!

Thinking about the 16610 I am not sure how far I have to go - with a Noobmariner with 28.800kvph movement I have a great rep - but how far would I have to go in terms of 16610-stages ... TW best... MBW modded to get the piece I want... I think this is a question I can only answer myself...

You AP and PP are MBW watches right?

Thinking about the 16610 I am not sure how far I have to go - with a Noobmariner with 28.800kvph movement I have a great rep - but how far would I have to go in terms of 16610-stages ... TW best... MBW modded to get the piece I want... I think this is a question I can only answer myself...

Well... With a 16610, the important thing is the base watch to start with. As often discussed, you'll want a case with a deep rehaut, good CG's, deep bezel, thick crystal with 2.5x mag cyclops inset off the edge, etc. etc. At that point, you can add a genuine insert, crown, tube, Noob dial, bracelet and so on. If the details of the case are correct to start, the added parts are really just the finishing touches.

269769-3815.jpg

You AP and PP are MBW watches right?

Yessir... Both are MBK/MBW.

@gregers- These are two of the best reps I've had my hands on in a long time.

Decided for ETA Noobmariner + ETA Seamaster Today!

Will try to get a gen dial for the seamaster, a relume and I will waterproof and love it! (Will have to epoxy the HE valve :( )

The noobmariner should get MAYBE a gen crown, will get its bracelet filled and a new insert.

Now you might laugh because I wanted to be in Ubi's modding level - But I think his stuff is not my price range... :)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...view=getnewpost

Here I want to thank especially Ubi TTK and Pugwash!

TTKs Pic remembered me of my beautiful SMP... Ubi inspired me to get more high quality watches and TTK showed me again that MBW is not the deal for me. Maybe later... :)

You just planned away my next 400€ :)

Edited by piratedzeus