When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tw Sub: 2mm Spring Bars Installed, Finally!

Jetsons

These 316L cases are tough! The process of drilling the side case holes, bracelet plus polishing wasn't exactly a walk in the park but well worth the effort. I'm finally rid of the darn skinny spring bars! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Rolling up the sleeves:

I used a rotary tool (Proxon), SnapOn cobalt bits (#56 & #57-smaller to get things started) fot the lug holes and #46 & #47 (may be sufficient but snug fit) for the bracelet. I applied machine oil liberally and frequently to lubricate the case holes, bracelet and drill bits to keep the temp down. Next time, I will use a drill with more low speed torque than the rotary.

I held the case free hand wrapped in a cold damp cloth while drilling to keep the case cool. Further, I stopped work frequently to allow all components to cool down. Take your time. :)

After the drill work was complete, I cleaned the case thoroughly and used the dremel with a soft cotton wheel and polishing paste to polish the side case holes. I achieved best results by polishing in both directions, perpendicular to the holes.. I finished the polish work with a fresh cotton wheel and Simichrome. All polishing was done at relatively slow speed.

The inside of the lugs and bracelet ends need to be smoothed (light grinding with a fine stone bit & wire wheel were necessary) otherwise you may have problems fitting the oyster bracelet to the case. This would not be a factor with vintage style bracelets, non SELs.

The spring bars used are the $1.98/pair shipped cheapies, available at Ebay. They are ss and of good quality, specially for the price. The OEMs may look better & more durable but these are what I had in my tool box.

The key is to take your time, use Cobalt bits and I would recommend a drill tool with more low speed torque than a rotary.

33646-39902.jpg

33646-39903.jpg

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

You must take a 1,3mm Carbid-Drill.......

Take a slow drill speed about 800-1500 U/min.....

You can drill step up from 1mm to 1,3mm Drill....

Take your time.....

After drilling take sandpaper to line up the holes and than polishing,polishing,polishing....

RG Tribal

Thanks, Ubi! I enjoy working on mecanical toys and just about anything else but this is my first serious effort with a watch. It felt very good when it was complete! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, ehtolcad!

bruce, added to the initial post. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Jet

Edited by Jetsons