When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting a 210H Radiomir swiss...should i expect the crown to break in a few weeks?

chad

The problem with the crown and tube on the rep 'Historic' Radiomirs is that the metal used to construct these components is a soft metal- Possibly brass. So, it is recommended that you take great care and caution in threading and unthreading the crown each time you go to wind the movement. Over time, and since the movement is handwind, stripping may be inevitable as wear of the material over time cannot be avoided; however, it looks like davidsen might have a solution for us with this problem in the form of better, stronger tubes and crowns (see olreon's thread in General Discussion)...

Indeed- It's an issue isolated with the crown and tube... These parts are rather soft and can strip out easily. No worries on the movement. The Swiss ETA 6497s are built like a tank!

Duhh....

I still don't get it.

Let me put it another way: are there any Radomirs (like Black Seals, for instance) which are exempt from this probem?

I can't imagine that it's endemic to all historic (Vintage, Hommage, etc.) models, since there's so much variation in the build. Many of the 47mm Vintages come with a Russian Moljina movement; aside from being basically crappy, do these have the same cross-stripping problem?

Or let me say it another way, are there ANY Radomirs that are exempt from the stripping issue?

If you think I don't have a clue (I don't) I'll bet you that there are hundred of other members out there who've been ceaselessly asking themselves the same question without daring to expose their cluelessness on the board.

Me, I've got nothing to lose. Everyone here knows I'm a complete idiot who never even learned how to wind a watch.

Like I said in another thread, automatics and quartz all the way....

Many inquiring minds would like this issue settled once and for all.

Who's got the knowledge?

ryyannon-

It's the tube that is attached to the exterior case of the watch that is the issue. It's completely external to the movement. I'll take a pic of the item in question here in just a moment...

As for what Radiomirs are exempt from this- difficult to say. I've only experienced the Radiomir that I have, which was one of the early PAM183/210 cases from River. Granted, I've been careful in threading my crown down (so the threads still work) it is easy to see how they can strip with little effort.

It's mostly due to the fact that it's on a manual wind movement, not on an automatic. With an automatic, you perhaps unscrew it 10-20 times a years. Since they're serviced every three to five years, you use it maybe 100 times before it can get replaced.

But with a manual wind movement, you unscrew it every day. It would need to last 1-2000 uses between a normal servicings. It's possible, but you need to be very, very careful. Never force it. Push in on the crown and turn it counter clockwise until you feel the threads engage and then with one motion and still pushing in turn it clockwise a few turns. If you ever feel it jam, back up and start again. Once you damage the threads the only thing you can do is replace the tube and maybe the crown.

And that's not really a big deal, and watch maker should be able to replace the tube for a few dollars. I think it's actually a bit better that the tube will give before the crown, as it will be much harder to find the correct crown if those threads strip.

So far I've been lucky and haven't ruined any of my manual wind watches with screw down crowns, but I personally don't like them. When mine fail, I plan on simply removing that feature all together. Plenty of watches can be water resistant to 3-5 atm without a screw down crown, and I really hate worrying about it every time I wind the watch.

Thank you for taking the time, guys: very instructive, and I think you've cleared up the mystery for both myself and many others out there.

The definitive Radomir crown-and-stem-tube- cross-stripping explanation, in CinemaScope and Dolby Surround.

As you may know, my tongue has been hanging out for the WM Hommage model of which I've posted pictures of several times, but it's been just this issue that has kept me from pursuing the matter further.

In the meantime (WM posted his modded Radomir more than a year ago on the old RWG) people like Jay at Silixwatch have been offering three 47mm Vintage versions with the Moljina movement and the lovely California, Base and I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-other-than-WM-was-the-first-to-offer-such-a-version-with-that-dial.

After exchanging some messages with ubiquitous (who has set about single-handedly putting together the sumptuous Vintage Radomir pictured above) I contacted David about the possibility of having them custom-made in 44/45mm cases with decent movements. He replied that he's already working on the idea, and should have a series ready by the end of May.

Needless to say, I'm anxious to see what he's going to come up with, but whatever it is, it should be good - and the right time to pull the trigger.

That's all the news that fits for the moment.

It's been a pleasure learning from you two, and thanks for taking the time to dispel a bit of the usual fog dampening my neurons.

Best regards!

ryyannon

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually not a simple fix if the tube strips, at least until such a time as Davidsen offers replacements. Dealers do not have replacement crowns or tubes as far as anyone knows. Your local watchsmith is not going to have a replica black seal tube or crown.

All you can do is send your watch to a watchsmith and have him remove the spring and shorten the stem a little, so it sits correctly. Bye-bye any water resistance though.