When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega X-33

TeeJay

Okay, this arrived for me on thursday from Silix. Bit of a mixed bag. Looks nice enough, but, there's a flaw with the analogue movement, the second hand keeps sticking, and it is losing quite a bit of time. Jay has been emailed, to see what we can do, but, at present, I have not had a reply. Given the site lists the price at 49 Eur and I paid 81 eur for it, and the problem with the movement, I'm feeling like I've been treated like a mug, but, I'm prepared to wait and see what Jay suggests so we can resolve the situation. In terms of accuracy to gen, the body of the watch is not too far from the 1st gen X-33 (2nd gen has a different crown assembly) however, the bracelet and clasp were nothing special. The clasp had a rectangular side-button deployant, rather than a round double side-button deployant (and it was engraved Seamastei, rather than Speedmaster) the end of the bracelet also doesn't sit too well between the lugs. Having seen the modified X-33 worn by Tom Cruise in Minority Report, I replaced the bracelet with a dark brown leather strap I fitted with an OEM Omega buckle, and it looks much better than it did on the bracelet. The leather strap gives the watch an 'old school' air, which contrasts nicely with the more 'hi tech' display.

The pictures aren't anything special I'm afraid, but when the issues are resolved, then I'll take some decent pictures...

273117-3151.jpg

273117-3152.jpg

Any comments and questions are welcome :)

Edited by TeeJay

Keep us posted on how things work out with Jay... this is the only quartz watch on my "want" list...

Does it function at all like the gen?... chrono, stopwatch, alarm... etc?

From what I've been able to find Jay is the only rep source for this watch currently... anyone know of any others?

And that leather strap looks great... your fuzzy shots may have moved this watch to the head of my "want" list... luckly its a cheap one to pick up.

Keep us posted on how things work out with Jay...

I got an email today suggesting that I might like to ship the watch back (at my expense) or have a replacement shipped out (at my expense) I replied that given I paid nearly doublt the 'catalogue price' for it, there's no way I'm paying for anything... I don't mind if I just get sent replacement parts and have to fit them myself, but I'm sure not paying for a replacement for something that was never QCd, it'll be interesting to see if he'll be prepared to simply send me the replacement parts as I suggested...

this is the only quartz watch on my "want" list...

Does it function at all like the gen?... chrono, stopwatch, alarm... etc?

Likewise, I wanted it for several reasons really. Sometimes I have to 'dress down', so wanted a watch which was a decent brand, but wouldn't look 'too flash', and the X-33 fit that criteria perfectly (especially on the leather strap). I've always been interested in space, so that was another plus, as was the fact that Tom Cruise wore a modified X-33 in Minority Report (I also collect movie memorabelia) so several reasons why I thought it'd be a good watch to get.

In terms of functions... It has a stopwatch, a night light, date function, and an alarm. But. It is not the same 'operating system' as on the gen X-33, and the alarm is nowhere near 85 decibels. Infact, the alarm is barely audible, and is barely noticeable while awake, it would certainly never wake someone up... If you don't need the multiple timers and alarms, it should be more than adequate for any general wear.

From what I've been able to find Jay is the only rep source for this watch currently... anyone know of any others?

As far as I know, Jay is the only source, I've certainly not seen any other dealers offering the watch. Also, I read a TZ article which said that the gen watch was pulled from 'civilian sales' in the summer of 2006, so tracking one down at all could be problematic...

And that leather strap looks great... your fuzzy shots may have moved this watch to the head of my "want" list... luckly its a cheap one to pick up.

Thanks, the strap was from a very cheap watch, but it has a nice look to it, and the OEM Omega buckle worked wonders on it. I think the strap really gives it a nice look, and funnily enough, the majority of astronauts and pilots who wear them, wear them on leather or kevlar straps, not the metal bracelets :D

I had the same watch before... just be careful with the bazel, my fell off...

Thanks for the warning :) Was that the entire bezel, or just the insert coming out of the bezel?

Thats a great combo you've chosen TeeJay..

I've got a few of those Omega buckles in my parts bin already... whats the lug width of the x33?... I'll have to start looking for a strap.

And Please keep us (me) posted on the dealings with Jay... I await with baited breath and clenched wallet.

I remember that strap! :) It looks better on the X-33. After all, the astronauts wear this on a kevlar strap.

Be aware that the replica X-33 uses two batteries, one for the analog part and one for the digital. I thought my X-33 was broken when the hands stopped. It did not come alive after I had replaced the battery, so I gave it away to a German member. He discovered the hidden battery and got it going! :lol:

274483-2786.jpg

I miss it sometimes, a cool watch although the bracelet is flimsy and the overall quality feel is not that great!

274483-2787.jpg

274483-2788.jpg

274483-2789.jpg

Thats a great combo you've chosen TeeJay..

I've got a few of those Omega buckles in my parts bin already... whats the lug width of the x33?... I'll have to start looking for a strap.

And Please keep us (me) posted on the dealings with Jay... I await with baited breath and clenched wallet.

Thanks. When I saw the strap, I just knew it would be good for something, and the OEM buckle really upped it's status. The X-33 has 20mm lugs.

Jay has said that he will send a replacement (I think watch, rather than movement) I think it is being shipped at his expence, but have no confirmation of this yet. If this is indeed the case, then I'll be happy that he's corrected the problem which the QC should've picked up :)

Looks nice on that strap! Was that the one you tried on the SMP also? The X-33 is an interesting watch, not one that I have seen much of. Hope things work out with Jay!

Thanks, and yes, that was the same strap. I originally planned to use it on the X-33, but thought I'd also try it on the SMP. It works much better with the X-33 :D The thing I'm most pleased about, is that the watch/strap combination looks exactly as my photoshop mockup predicted :)

I remember that strap! :) It looks better on the X-33. After all, the astronauts wear this on a kevlar strap.

Be aware that the replica X-33 uses two batteries, one for the analog part and one for the digital. I thought my X-33 was broken when the hands stopped. It did not come alive after I had replaced the battery, so I gave it away to a German member. He discovered the hidden battery and got it going! :lol:

I thought it was pretty funny how none of the astronauts or pilots who wear the X-33 wear it on the bracelet :D That was something I considered, but the thing that made me suspect mechanical failure rather than a lack of power, was the second hand wasn't really stopping permanantly, even when it 'sticks', it still flicks, trying to move, so I suspect there could be a problem with the cogs meshing. Out of curiosity, did the clasp of your watch bracelet have the rectangular side button on the deployant?

Thanks. When I saw the strap, I just knew it would be good for something, and the OEM buckle really upped it's status. The X-33 has 20mm lugs.

Jay has said that he will send a replacement (I think watch, rather than movement) I think it is being shipped at his expence, but have no confirmation of this yet. If this is indeed the case, then I'll be happy that he's corrected the problem which the QC should've picked up :)

Thanks, and yes, that was the same strap. I originally planned to use it on the X-33, but thought I'd also try it on the SMP. It works much better with the X-33 :D The thing I'm most pleased about, is that the watch/strap combination looks exactly as my photoshop mockup predicted :)

I thought it was pretty funny how none of the astronauts or pilots who wear the X-33 wear it on the bracelet :D That was something I considered, but the thing that made me suspect mechanical failure rather than a lack of power, was the second hand wasn't really stopping permanantly, even when it 'sticks', it still flicks, trying to move, so I suspect there could be a problem with the cogs meshing. Out of curiosity, did the clasp of your watch bracelet have the rectangular side button on the deployant?

Hope it sorts out for you with Jay. I have had only good experiences with him.

I bought this watch two years ago, and yes it had the same rectangular button on the clasp... If there was a "2nd generation" of this watch with a genuine Ti-bracelet, correct caseback and the new crown I would probably buy that, even at a much higher price.. But that is not realistic.

Hope it sorts out for you with Jay. I have had only good experiences with him.

I bought this watch two years ago, and yes it had the same rectangular button on the clasp... If there was a "2nd generation" of this watch with a genuine Ti-bracelet, correct caseback and the new crown I would probably buy that, even at a much higher price.. But that is not realistic.

To be honest, I'm not confident that things will get worked out. His email today has said that I can ship the faulty watch back, and have a replacement sent. Which will still cost me money in shipping the watch back. Given that the watch was faulty when sent out, and any level of QC would have revealed that (goes to show that he doesn't actually QC, and any time that is given as a reason for a delay, it is just a stalling tactic :( ) I sent another email saying I am quite happy simply to be shipped replacement parts and fix the watch myself. I know he's sent parts to other people who had a problem, hopefully he'll be able to do the same here. I don't feel it's an unreasonable request, so here's fingers crossed... :)

I wouldn't expect to see one of the 2nd Gen X-33s available, as the new crown has totally different functions to the other, and it might be too much hassle to fit it to the existing mechanism... That said, I do prefer how the 2nd Gen looks. The bezel insert in particular, because it at least has a luminous marker...

• 1 month later...

Okay, it's been a while, but I finally have the watch back from my watch smith. The problem with the X-33 (asside from the missing caseback faux-screws) was simply that it needed a new battery. Ironically, Silix threw a replacement in with the vintage Rolex I'd ordered, and that arrived today. Had there not been a bank holiday yesterday, the replacement would have arrived the day after I got it back from being fixed :lol: Anyway, the replacement also has a missing faux-screw, and a sticking second hand (another duff battery, methinks) and I was given the wrong Rolex, so they're all going back in the post :rolleyes: (That is, the Rolex and the replacement X-33 are going back. I'll be keeping my now functioning one pictured below)

Anyway, here're some better quality pics of the X-33 on it's new strap :)

DSCN2181.jpg

DSCN2182.jpg

DSCN2183.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got the x 33 replica from silix ,looks very good but did not coume with instructions, have managed to set hands to corect time , but do not know how to set the digital time etc , any help would be apreciated ! .I am new to replica watches very interested in space exploration have got a moonwatch replica with automatic movemet .

Robert

I have just got the x 33 replica from silix ,looks very good but did not coume with instructions, have managed to set hands to corect time , but do not know how to set the digital time etc , any help would be apreciated ! .I am new to replica watches very interested in space exploration have got a moonwatch replica with automatic movemet .

Robert

Sorry for the delay, but PM sent :)

So is the X-33 from silix worth buying ? I am considering it. Other than the crappy functions/bad alarm/clasp/braclet, is the watch itself of good quality ? comparison to the gen? How THICK is the X-33 ?

Thanks ! :)

Had it...love Omega reps...this one's a POS. Too many problems and flaws to list.

Had it...love Omega reps...this one's a POS. Too many problems and flaws to list.

That just depends on your personal criteria and what you want it for.

If you want 100% fidelity to the gen, then absolutely, POS. If you want something that 'looks about right' and is good enough for knocking about the yard in, then it's fine.

That just depends on your personal criteria and what you want it for.

If you want 100% fidelity to the gen, then absolutely, POS. If you want something that 'looks about right' and is good enough for knocking about the yard in, then it's fine.

The POS label I put on it refered as much to problems (OK, I'll start a partial list...lots of backlash in the bezel, bezel not lining up correctly, caseback engraving all wrong, caseback a screw off with faux screws, very loose analogue hands with backlash/impossible to hack accurately, analogue and digital quartz movements that are very innaccurate and will not run in synchronicity) as to fidelity. Not to mention the fact that this is supposed to be a titanium watch etc...you are welcome to your opinion...but this disaster is worth every bit of the $65 it sells for.

The POS label I put on it refered as much to problems (OK, I'll start a partial list...lots of backlash in the bezel, bezel not lining up correctly, caseback engraving all wrong, caseback a screw off with faux screws, very loose analogue hands with backlash/impossible to hack accurately, analogue and digital quartz movements that are very innaccurate and will not run in synchronicity) as to fidelity. Not to mention the fact that this is supposed to be a titanium watch etc...you are welcome to your opinion...but this disaster is worth every bit of the $65 it sells for.

I'd agree with all those flaws 100% My point was taking into account that some people want a rep to have 100% fidelity/zero flaws, and in those stakes, yes, it is definitely a POS, and that if someone wants a 100% rep, they'll likely be very disappointed with it. If, however, they're just after something that 'looks about right' (certainly passable to the general public) and aren't too concerned about the flaws you mention, then indeed, they can't go wrong buying it. Given the analogue runs faster than the digital, it's just a case of pulling the crown out for a few seconds each day to re-synchronize the displays. To be honest, it's not a watch I'd want to wear most of the time, as the alarm is totally inadequate, and I figure if I'm going to wear something, I want to be able to use the functions, but, as a watch to put on every now and again, then it's more than adequate :)