When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buyer Beware

omeega

Well, looks like I'm out of luck. After a half day of very light use, the Seamaster Chrono has died already. It stopped early in the day, I revived it by winding and shaking a bit. Later on it kept dying and now it's completely frozen. I read the instructions for the Asian 7750, I didn't break any of the "rules" and the watch is dead after the first day.

The same thing happened to the blue SMP I purchased from Josh after about a month, and now this from Andrew (ttwristwatch?). I know they are friends/partners, and it seems as though their source is not trustworthy. There could be nothing I did after a few short hours to stop this watch from working correctly, there is a movement problem. I am now 0/2, two watches ordered, two non functional watches. There is no point in wearing a watch if it does not tell time. If I am wrong and there is some simple solution, go ahead and offer it. But buyer beware.

Ok this is a double post so I will scrap the over one.

Quick question have you tried to work this out with your dealer yet?

Ken

I am posting this everywhere so new members hear about my experiences. I have not tried to work this out with the dealer, last time I tried that I spent 20 dollars sending the watch back only to wait a month and have it returned in the same condition -- non-functional, does not tell time.

Another thing... I know this is obvious to most.. I never wind my automatics, I rotate them im my hand/wrist to get them started, then wear them. It takes a little finesse to get a feel for it. I've tried to show others how an automatic works and showed them how to wind it by rotating it to get the balance weight to spin but some just don't seem to get it.

Again, I know this is so juvenile, it just seems strange that this would happen twice for you... that they'd they work for several hours/days, then stop.

I would try hand winding, slowly at least 50 turns on each watch, set the time, note the day on a piece of paper, and let them sit and see if they run, and for how long...

It could be many things causing this problem, it can't fix itself, but it could be an easy fix ie beat out of adjustment etc.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

RG

I understand you're [censored] and I would be too, but you've got a practical problem to solve--2 non-funtioning watches and your having expended your only real leverage--posting publicly. I would still politely ask Andrew for another watch, which you should have serviced immediately. Jos probably will not replace this late in the game, so this might work for that watch:

1) set the time on the watches when the running second is @ 12:00.

2) let them run for a few hours

3) if the second hand is where it ought to be and the time is very slow, you've likely got a typical A7750 problem, a cannon pin malfunction. My watchsmith will service a A7750 and fix the cannon pin along the way for about $100. The Zigmeister also does A7750's by the boatload (he is a little more expensive for the service but does a service like you would have done sending your watch in for a factory restoration--my local smith uses a slightly more thorough version of "The Technician" approach which is not as good). You can probably have the cannon pin fixed w/o service for $50 or so.

I know spending another $100 is not acceptable, but it's less unacceptable than throwing a watch away.

I am posting this everywhere so new members hear about my experiences. I have not tried to work this out with the dealer, last time I tried that I spent 20 dollars sending the watch back only to wait a month and have it returned in the same condition -- non-functional, does not tell time.

Thank you for spreading the word and not hiding it. These kind of things do happen and its best for us all to be aware of it.

Regards

Gunnar :)

• 2 weeks later...
I understand you're [censored] and I would be too, but you've got a practical problem to solve--2 non-funtioning watches and your having expended your only real leverage--posting publicly. I would still politely ask Andrew for another watch, which you should have serviced immediately. Jos probably will not replace this late in the game, so this might work for that watch:

1) set the time on the watches when the running second is @ 12:00.

2) let them run for a few hours

3) if the second hand is where it ought to be and the time is very slow, you've likely got a typical A7750 problem, a cannon pin malfunction. My watchsmith will service a A7750 and fix the cannon pin along the way for about $100. The Zigmeister also does A7750's by the boatload (he is a little more expensive for the service but does a service like you would have done sending your watch in for a factory restoration--my local smith uses a slightly more thorough version of "The Technician" approach which is not as good). You can probably have the cannon pin fixed w/o service for $50 or so.

I know spending another $100 is not acceptable, but it's less unacceptable than throwing a watch away.

Arhibald has very sound advice. If you have a reliable local watchsmith you can have him check it out for a preliminary assessment. It might involve a relatively simple fix, and if so, the dealer might give you a credit for all or a portion of the repair cost to avoid the expense and hassle of shipping the watch back. If the watchsmith says the watch requires more substantial work, then sharing this information with your dealer can help him decide on the best resolution.

Best of luck.