When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sea Dweller Double Red: MBW right out of the box

Stephane

Dear All,

Here is a pictorial of one more deal with our famous collector, TTK  ^_^

About the deal

It must start to be boring to hear positive comments from me about TTK but, as a matter of fact, I can't see anything negative to say.

In example, he was very patient with me as I changed my mind several times about which SeaDweller I need from him :cc_confused:

As I got the Great White from Kelster and the Single Red from Phoband, I finally asked TTK to cancel these ones and send me a DoubleRed…

He did it and didn't even say something like "Hey mate, make up your mind now!"  :angry2:

About the current watch

This Sea Dweller is an MBW too of course.

It seems to me that it's some how better right out of the box than the single red.

Of course, it's not going to stay like that anyway as we now have all parts to modify it to become a vintaged high end rep.

Oh, yes, don't worry about the case back. It's horrible, but we all know that  :clown: I wonder why they fill it in black as we do remove the paint anyway.

The bracelet is a hollow mid link one, but not the correct one of course. We do know that too.

What is going to happen next

Soon, the watch will be packed again with a T39 SuperDome, a gen crown / tube, and will travel to one of our great members to start the modding process.

Conclusion

It's not my first deal with TTK and, for sure, not my last one.  :yu:

Thanks for reading, and now here are the pics.

Cheers

Stephane

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_04.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_05.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_06.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_07.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_08.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_09.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_10.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_11.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_12.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_13.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_03.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_01.jpg

Funny! It's a 2834 this time.

RolexSeaDwellerDoubleRed_800_01B.jpg

Beautiful!!!!! I'm checking EMS tracking every day awaiting my 1665 Great White from "The Timepiece King".

Question...what is the best way to remove the paint from the engraving on the caseback??? I dont want to scrape it. Would removing the back and the gasket and soaking the back in lacquer thinner work???

Thanks Guys...Yes I am a lucky bastard !

And a bit crazy too :crazy:

I have them all the SDs now, except a genuine of course.

And all the parts aswell :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@CrystalCranium

I have no personal idea how to remove that stupid black sh*t from the case back and for sure will not try myself.

I suggest you make a search for Freddy333 and RepAustria topics.

They explain their ways, at least how they did it.

Cheers

Stephane

I have no personal idea how to remove that stupid black sh*t from the case back and for sure will not try myself.

I suggest you make a search for Freddy333 and RepAustria topics.

They explain their ways, at least how they did it.

Cheers

Stephane

Oooh!Its so so so easy! Take a needle and some ear sticks and aseton cleaning.....and you will do it realy easy!

First put the ear stick in aseton solution and wipe the paint..the paint will not go away....but,

Then take the needle and remove the paint...it will be a piece of cake!!

Trust me!Thats how i did it!And it was fast and easy!

Oooh!Its so so so easy! Take a needle and some ear sticks and aseton cleaning.....and you will do it realy easy!

First put the ear stick in aseton solution and wipe the paint..the paint will not go away....but,

Then take the needle and remove the paint...it will be a piece of cake!!

Trust me!Thats how i did it!And it was fast and easy!

Thanks Mr Primero !

That is a real easy one.

Cheers

Stephane

To add to elprimero, for a nice finishing touch, polish with a dremel (buffing wheel with paste) to round the sharp edges of the print. It's not a perfect solution but it will improve things markedly and it's a breeze to do.

Stephane, the date wheel on this one has improved bold dial print which is a big plus. Very nice SD which will look terrific one the mods are finito!

Stephane, the date wheel on this one has improved bold dial print which is a big plus. Very nice SD which will look terrific one the mods are finito!

Thanks Jet...I was waiting for such a comment.

It's maybe me only but I sincerely think this one MBW is much better than some others...

Not only the date.

Look at the double red. Very close too.

Indeed it does! Perhaps MBW has a new & improved dial factory. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The print of the hour markers look nicely puffy as well judging from your photos. Expose the dial to direct sunlight for a few hours per day over the course of three weeks or so and the markers will develop a nice golden patina. I did this to my 1665 and the end result was quite good. Depending on the amount of sunlight exposure, you can achieve the desired level of dial aging. The price is very reasonable as well. :D

Added: Great to hear that you were able to source the T-39 superdome. The distortions this crystal causes on the dial when viewed from different angles is something else. It will transform your watch far more than any other mod.

You're more than welcome.

Hi Stephane,

Genuine WM... ;) Mine is not modded, but I :wub: it!

273493-3037.jpg

Compare that orig. DRSD in the link, and you'll be amazed at how accurate WM/MBW's dials really are!

Cheers,

Brad

You are right Brad.

Congrats for yours :1a:

I was very enthousiast in the beginning, one year ago, with watches right out of the box.

Then I discovered RWG and now, I can't stand the idea of a DoubleRed without at least some gen parts like a Super Dome, Crown/Tube, Insert and pearl, plus of course some aging.

This put the rep at around 600

Removed the paint from the caseback engraving on my 1665 GW MBW today. Soaked it in lacquer thinner for about 4 hours and the paint came off fairly easily rubbing the back with a lacquer wet terrycloth towel. BTW, the inside caseback engraving was spot on like the genuine.

Why are they putting 2834 movements in these watches??? Is it the ETA shortage or a positional thing. There's no reason for a day of the week function on any of the Sub MBWs

Great thread, Stephane. Keep it coming. Have a 1665 GW on the way! Can't wait.

To clarify, acetone and Q-tips for the ink on the caseback and a sewing needle? Just want to make sure I understand correctly. I can see the need for a dremel to round things out and create some wear and tear. She'll be sitting out in the sun for a few days too. Great suggestion.

Great thread, Stephane. Keep it coming. Have a 1665 GW on the way! Can't wait.

To clarify, acetone and Q-tips for the ink on the caseback and a sewing needle? Just want to make sure I understand correctly. I can see the need for a dremel to round things out and create some wear and tear. She'll be sitting out in the sun for a few days too. Great suggestion.

I would recommend soaking first for an extended amount of time. The engraving is kinda rough and the paint adheres pretty well. After 4 hours of soaking, there was nothing more than vigerous rubbing needed to remove the paint.

It looks so much better without the paint.

Mine came off without any rubbing whatsoever in less than 20 minutes. I sprayed it with 2 coats of paint remover from a local auto parts store, let it sit & then rinsed off the chemicals (and paint) with water. Just to be sure the case was clean, I cleaned it with denatured alcohol (mineral spirits) and a paper towel.

Mine came off without any rubbing whatsoever in less than 20 minutes. I sprayed it with 2 coats of paint remover from a local auto parts store, let it sit & then rinsed off the chemicals (and paint) with water. Just to be sure the case was clean, I cleaned it with denatured alcohol (mineral spirits) and a paper towel.

Paint stripper....why didn't I think of that!