When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Tropic questionand options

ShawnBeever

The standard MBW crystal is good (it looks a bit like a midget superdome), but not a proper Tropic 19. There are a few variations of the T19 (even among the gens as fitted by RSC), depending on whether it was fitted when the watch was originally manufactured or added during a later service. These are aftermarket, but look like the 2 versions currently fitted by RSC

274412-2799.jpg

274412-2800.jpg

If you browse Timezone, you will see either fitted to gen 5513s.

All aftermarket T19's do not look anything like the original Supersome (this includes MBW, Clark, GS, etc).

And, all RSC T19s that are not the original Superdome iteration are totally different than the original T19.

What I'm trying to say is: there is no substitiute for the real thing. And, so that you know, the T19 Superdome is as rare as hen's teeth.

I can spot a Superdome from a mile away. Anybody who's seen the real thing and/or owns the real thing can, too.

274454-2793.jpg

274454-2794.jpg

274454-2795.jpg

Nanuq's observation about the "vertical edge" is the key here. This "lip" has a large part to do with the overall asthetic of the geniune crystal.

I wish someone would rep this crystal - - let me rephrase what I mean: I wish that someone would replicate this crystal to OEM standards. I would like to have a waterproof T19 that I can trust.

Anyhow, best regards :)

PS. Here's 2 more...

274689-2743.jpg

274689-2744.jpg

Shawn,

Here a pix of a superdome T19 compared to a replacement T19 model from RSC, which came off of my Tudor Snowflake Sub. As I understand it Rolex used several crystal manufacturers over the years so that's where the variation on Tropic crystals come in, but most of what I've commonly seen on vintage subs are the replacement style T19 you see on the left.

There sure as hell is no mistaking a superdome!

Hey Euno,

Clarks says they're working on their own T19 superdome but not sure of the release date yet.

276654-2353.jpg

And the even taller T39 superdome side by side with the T19. Man there is nothing like vintage plexi :thumbsupsmileyanim:

276654-2354.jpg