When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HOW TO FIT A THICK STRAP TO THE PANERAI DEPLOYMENT

V

In this post I will try to explain how to fit thick straps (up to 4mm of thickness) to the deployment that comes with your Pam (replica or genuine)

Till now we had very few options in aftermarket straps specially made for the deployment clasp and they were too expensive..

Also as Drew said to me in a PM, it is such a shame big watches to have straps so thin (like the ones that come specially for the deployment).

So many people, decided to throw away the deployment and put a buckle in order to have thick straps.

But i think this is now over.. Here I will explain step by step how to do it with photos and with suggestion for straps.

And we begin..... ;)

post-89-1142776025.jpg

Edited by veni12

First you must ask the dealer of the strap you have found and you like, how thick it is...

If it is more than 4mm probably it won't fit.. Don't risk it. Stick for up to 4mm thickness..

When the strap will arrive, the opening where the deployment clasp will fit, is 4mm because 4mm is the buckle. The deployment is 6mm so you will have to cut it from both sides 1mm in order the clasp to fit in.

post-89-1142776066.jpg

Edited by veni12

Now the other side, the tricky part...

As you see in the photo there is a pin. You must remove this pin fit the strap in the two little 'toothlikes' and then re-install the pin..

It is not so easy to move it - i used the plastic edge hammer and the pin remover tool.. be careful because the pin remains in the place and only 0,5 mm of her just moves to release the strap.

Also the pin moves in only one side. This side is the left one of the P (anerai) and not of the (panera) I

post-89-1142776198.jpg

Edited by veni12

Now put the strap in the hole for your size.

Then push the pin in the one of the two clasp holes.

Then i have used again the hammer with the plastic edge to fit the pin in the other hole and be locked.

post-89-1142776237.jpg

Edited by veni12

Now your strap is fit in the deploment clasp and the only thing you have to do, is remove the old strap from the watch and put this one with the clasp fitted.

post-89-1142776264.jpg

Edited by veni12

Suggested sites for straps are:

1. BOB

Their vintage line is just AMAZING for the price... :victory:

http://www.waccex.de

2. Europelli

Drew is my first choice for straps.. He has the best quality straps with an excellent communication and very good prices for the quality you get.

If you want to buy the best straps email him and ask him for straps up to 4mm. He has some models with 4mm or less thickness so pm him or send him a mail.

http://www.europelli.com/

3. DON

Don has good quality straps in very low prices.. Communication again is excellent and he has very interesting straps too...

http://www.homestead.com/rlx/DON.html

4. TAIKONAUT

Pluto is a very nice guy and his straps are decent quality for the price. I had a few from him and I was happy. Interesting straps in interesting prices.

http://www.taikonaut-time.com/

5. AARON (HKTAN)

The best if you want a custom made strap.

Not to butt in on your excellent explanation, I will add my instructions too:

I also recommend a deployant, especially if you are going to change watches often, they reduce the wear and tear that you get with a buckle.

I, although, have put all my deployants on thick (4mm) cordovan straps with a little patience and effort without modifying the strap at all... Just some persistant pressure:

Here's my latest Horween shell cordovan in violet:

Here's my wonderful PAM 091:

5466-6206.jpg

5466-6207.jpg

5466-6208.jpg

And here's the hard part, adding the buckle half is a bit difficult because the leather is so thick (3.5-4mm). After inserting the buckle in the correctly adjustment position, you must insert the bottom pin in the buckle, and then apply constant pressure allowing the leather to compress until the top pin lines up with the hole. After it lines up, holding it in place, you can tap the extended pin until the other side seats into the hole:

5466-6209.jpg

The groove for the tang on some straps not made for deployant may be too narrow for the short side of the clasp. This one fit fine, but you may have to widen the groove with an exacto knife (very carefully). This is especially difficult with stingray straps, as cutting stingray skin is almost as hard as cutting rocks!:

5466-6210.jpg

Guest jdmdohcpower

Great info, I have held off on getting a vintage strap from taikonaut because it is buckel only and since I have a 196 7753 I wanted to keep the deployment. I may go ahead and order it now.

:Jumpy:

Guest overboosted

Good job guys. How to's and tutorials these make this board a great place! Mods shopuld make a section just for stuff like this and some of the other tips and tricks of our hobby. Maybe Pin them and lock them in a special FAQ area.

sorry, just reading through this, and looking at buying a strap and deployment clasp. am i suppose to be choosing the 24/24mm straps? or the 24/22 straps? From what I can tell those numbers are the width, therefore it makes a difference as to what width they are at the clasp end.

I was drooling over the bufallo darkbrown strap Bob has on offer. :)

Much Thanks Gents !

This post saved me time and money.

I just received a 196 and requested a extra buckle from the dealer for the Don Gator

straps I ordered.

Thing is the extra buckle came in at 26mm,.. ouch..

So here I was searching for a Panerai Logo'ed 22mm buckle, until I run across this post..

Fantastic !

Thanks and I agree this post should be Pinned ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks veni12. I'll have to start my search for straps again :(

I wanted something in a dark brown/chocolate (with a splash of red) that they had

I agree with [censored], that this should be pinned.

Edited by 8o8