When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

University of York - England

Dutchy

Last August.

The first picture is actually the ruins of an abbey that is in a park in the middle of the city. My wife and I stayed in a B&B just on the opposite side of the park from the central city, so we walked past past these ruins many times each day. Magical.

The street is known simply as The Shambles, one of the oldest streets in the city, if not in England. If I recall, people were taxed on the amount of square footage they had on the ground level, so they built conservatively at ground level and cheated outward on the second level. Needless to say, there are several historic pubs there. I'd have to check a guide book, but this actually might be the oldest.

278721-1865.jpg

I booked my parents a B&B right next to those ruins :)

Very interesting on that construction bit....really contains a ton of history......it really looks like a great place!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm supposed to check my results for my exams tomorrow morning at 8:30. However, I heard my coordinator at school gets them the day before. So after emailing him at his school address, he sent me an email saying I made the necessary requirements and I am off to the University of York in England to study Accounting, Business Finance and Management!!!!

Man am I happy!! Mom has the champagne out already!!!!!!!

Congrats Dutchy! What a big accomplishment!

Cheers :)

Well done, York as has been mentioned before is a very good University. The campus has been growing in recent years. I am sure you will have a great time. there is a huge purple bus which goes back and forth to the Uni, so it is quite easy to travel around the area.

Now the bad news, York city centre is about a 15/20 minute walk from Heslington, there are a huge number of drinking establishments (over 200) in central York obviously as a serious scholar you will not be tempted by booze, or the scantily dressed young women who frequent these satanic sites. I must warn you to be very careful, my own son is your age and has often gone missing after a night in the city, I suspect he has been taken off by one or more of these Jezebels.

York is a beautiful city we have a huge number of Roman, Viking, and Medieval sites and about 70% of all the UKs Medieval stained glass, plus the racecourse which is one of the countries finest.

Our landscape is quite flat, so bring along your bike and a good lock.

If I can help you with any local information please feel free to PM me. I sometimes go away on business and may not respond immediately.

Cheers Johnkaz. :bicycle:

Well done, York as has been mentioned before is a very good University. The campus has been growing in recent years. I am sure you will have a great time. there is a huge purple bus which goes back and forth to the Uni, so it is quite easy to travel around the area.

Now the bad news, York city centre is about a 15/20 minute walk from Heslington, there are a huge number of drinking establishments (over 200) in central York obviously as a serious scholar you will not be tempted by booze, or the scantily dressed young women who frequent these satanic sites. I must warn you to be very careful, my own son is your age and has often gone missing after a night in the city, I suspect he has been taken off by one or more of these Jezebels.

York is a beautiful city we have a huge number of Roman, Viking, and Medieval sites and about 70% of all the UKs Medieval stained glass, plus the racecourse which is one of the countries finest.

Our landscape is quite flat, so bring along your bike and a good lock.

If I can help you with any local information please feel free to PM me. I sometimes go away on business and may not respond immediately.

Cheers Johnkaz. :bicycle:

LOL, thanks Johnkaz!!! :lol: I plan on taking full advantage of the 300+ pubs/clubs/bars... of course, all in good nature, for I am a serious scholar but sometimes one must expose himself to the evils of this earth to benefit from it....right?....right?...

It sounds like a fantastic place!! Will I see ya there....I'll look for you in the pubs....;)

On a side note, it looks like a great tourist place indeed, especially York Minster, looks amazing!! I checked some YouTube videos, mostly of mediocre quality, but it still gave me a more life-like glimpse at the city!

Cheers,

Floris

I am sure you will very soon make lots of campus friends, but if you do feel a bit lost early on please pm me I will give you contact details, I can introduce you to my son Carl who is 19. He is a friendly lad, he can show you around the town. Carl who is an air cadet is currently in holland on a 2 week International air cadet exchange, he was last in contact on Sunday from Amsterdam.

Cheers Johnkaz. :plane:

I am sure you will very soon make lots of campus friends, but if you do feel a bit lost early on please pm me I will give you contact details, I can introduce you to my son Carl who is 19. He is a friendly lad, he can show you around the town. Carl who is an air cadet is currently in holland on a 2 week International air cadet exchange, he was last in contact on Sunday from Amsterdam.

Cheers Johnkaz. :plane:

Wow, cool stuff!! Thanks man, and even if I'm not lost its always great to meet new people! :)