When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I bought a Seamaster Professional

teddy boy

I bought a black Seamaster Professional at the local AD, it has the "James Bond" bracelet. I also considered a Breitling Superocean with a blue face. First of all, the ADs are definitely responding to competition from the interent. Both watches were offered at prices around 15% below the msrp, placing the Superocean within about $300(after tax) of the best price I saw on the internet. The seamaster professional was actually cheaper than the best price I saw on the internet, but I think the AD incorrectly priced the automatic seamaster at the quartz price and then gave me the standard discount off that price. I don't consider it my responsility to correct their pricing mistakes. The after sales tax price for each watch was $2206 for the super ocean and $1575 for the seamaster. Once you get within a few hundred dollars, I'd prefer buying in person over the internet for all of the usual reasons (i.e. no chance of getting ripped off, support the local retailer, actually get to handle the watch you're going to buy etc). So why did I buy the seamaster? Well, here are the reasons.

1. I liked both watches a lot and had no clear preference for the appearance of one over the other. Given that fact, there was a difference of $632 in price and I had no clear preference , it made sense to go with the cheaper one. Last time I checked, $632 is still $632.

2. The seamaster uses the 2892-A movement as its base platform, the super ocean is built from the 2824. I realize that both companies modify the base movement a great deal, but my impression is that the 2892 is a slightly better movement. Maybe I'm wrong on that point, but I do have that impression.

3. I liked the bracelet better on the seamster. It had a smoother mechanism and higher overall quality feel. The divers extension on the super ocean wasn't crisp and felt rather clunky. Frankly, it was disappointing on a watch of this price. Mind you, it looked great, it just didn't function as well as I would expect on an expensive watch. The bracelet on the seamaster works flawlessly.

Impressions of the watch.

The watch has a great feel. In the store I couldn't sense the differences between the gens and a rep. When I got the watch home and held it next to my reps, there are subtle differences in fit and finish. I'm sure I would have had a similar impression of the super ocean had I bought it instead. However, holding a gen next to a rep (even though the rep is not of the same watch), you can tell just how high the quality of the reps is today. The one area where the reps that I own don't come close, however, is the luminova. The genuine seamaster really lights up. The AR of the gen is also quite a bit better and the feel of the bracelet is better as well.

Some of you have maintained that reps may actually induce people to buy a gen. I think I'm living proof of that fact. I don't think I would have ever purchased a gen if I hadn't become interested in this quality watch through the rep market.

I'm terrible with a camera but my wife has promised to help me photograph the watch. I'll try to get some photos up over the next few days so those of you who own seamaster reps can compare to the gen. Thanks again to this board for the information and to all of you who responded to questions in my posts.

Buy yourself a 3-5X inspection loupe....you'll see the difference.

That's the great advantage of replicas...not too many people walk around with magnifying glasses in their pockets.

I own an SMP Chrono genuine and it's an amazing watch. For $2300 new...there's little to separate it in function and toughness from watches costing many times more. I'd bet on it one on one with 5 figure watches like the Daytona and the VC Overseas Chrono in a survival test

Great story, very interesting.

On the 2892 point, yes indeed, the 2892 is a much better quality movement, even unmodified, than the 2824. The 2892 is as good or better in my opinion than a comparable Rolex automatic movement.

Congrats on your purchase, that is a great price.

Enjoy, and show us some pics when you can.

RG

That's a super price on an auto SMP! Which AD did u go to and where is it located?

-Rei

I bought it from Jareds Galleria of Jewelry in Concord NC, just outside of Charlotte. As I indicated, I'm pretty sure mine was priced incorrectly as the quartz model. I have no idea if they've priced others the same way. Mine was the only one in the store. Jared's has many stores but only certain stores carry the higher end stuff like Rolex, Omega, and Cartier. All of their stores carry Tags and they have good prices on them too.

watch2a.BMPwatch1a.BMP

Here are two scans of my gen SMP. I had no idea how difficult it is to photograph a watch. My wife is pretty good with a camera, and even she couldn't get decent shots. Our computer tech at work is a good photographer and has some good equipment, perhaps I can coax him with the challenge and got some shots at different angles. The watch wouldn't rest on its side to get scans of the crown or back, so these two flat poses will have to do for now.

I've always admired those who take such good pictures but now my admiration has increased. By-Tor missed his true calling, I believe, and the guy(can't remember his handle) who takes pictures with his phone and posts them by notebook computer from his motel room has me in awe. (Don't get too proud, I'm easily awed sometimes).

The biggest details I'm noticing about the gen relative to my reps is the gen has nicer fit and finish, much better lum and a deeper rehaut although I've never seen the rehaut on the rep SMP.

When I first looked at this particular watch, I didn't like what the sales person called the "James Bond" bracelent. Now it's one of my favorite aspects of the watch. The watch is within 5 seconds of the atomic clock after 3 days. I've seen reports of that kind of accuracy from reps here on the board, but none of my reps acheive that. All my reps are acceptably accurate, however, with the exception of the first rip off rolex that I bought from Ireplicastore before I knew better.

• 1 year later...
Great story, very interesting.

On the 2892 point, yes indeed, the 2892 is a much better quality movement, even unmodified, than the 2824. The 2892 is as good or better in my opinion than a comparable Rolex automatic movement.

Congrats on your purchase, that is a great price.

Enjoy, and show us some pics when you can.

RG

I'll humbly add my thoughts on this but as far as I know Breitling doesn't modify their 2824 movements other than putting "Breitling" on the rotor. Everything I've read and AD's I've spoken to say that Breitling uses a standard ETA 2824 (Chronometer Grade) and adds their logo to the rotor.

With the Omega- I've found from owning gens from both brands the 2892 is an amazing movement: It's thinner, "Smoother" (I can't describe why...it just is), easy to add modules to, and in my experience keeps better time/ holds its calibration better than the 2824 series (even in Chronometer dress)... if you take the basic Omega 1120 movement Omega also adds two additional jewels and does something to reduce the rotor bearing diameter (going from memory here, feel free to correct me) for much better winding efficiency... If you get the 2500 movement you also get the Co-Axial escapement (I'm not sold on these- diehard 1120 fan...as The Zigmeister said, 1120 (2892) and 3135s run neck and neck - I feel the same way) which is pretty cool in and of itself...

I personally feel Breitlings and TAGs simply aren't worth the money you pay for them... you can build a rep Breitling or TAG Aquaracer using a real ETA chronometer grade movement as per the gen and spend less money doing it...even if Omega's are based off ETA movements - they use the high end ETA movements and don't simply drop in a pre-built version with no modification.

That being said: Congratulations on your new watch! Make sure to take some artsy shots of it for the weekend wristies!!

Wear it well!

If memory served me correctly, one of the fourm member here can hook you up to a omega dealer in Washington DC for 30% off.

I too think omega is better than Breitling in term of quality and that was the reason i bought my Omega PO 42mm which comes with

Omega 2500 including Co-Axial escapement.

Congratulation on your Omega purchase and enjoy your new watch.

I own TWO rep Black Seamasters, one with each bracelet style.

Beautiful piece, the Seamaster. Love both versions, but they PALE in comparison to

your gen.

Congratulations on a great deal and a great watch.

Your photos did a very nice job of showing the real difference between a

quality gen and its rep version, that is, 'Fit and Finish'. Your photos show that

remarkably well. There is real luster in the gen case and bracelet.

Your photo captured that aura.

Nice.

Wear it well.

I have to admit that I was shocked to see this thread make it's way back up the forum. An update is that I ended up bying the superocean as well, I guess it was the lure of the blue dial. I like both watches alot, although the omega gets much more wrist time. I didn't post the promised pictures because I had no idea how hard it is to get a good picture. I promise to get our computer tech (who is good with a camera) to take pictures of both watches and I'll post them. And btw, my dealer was in Concord NC and it turned out to be a one time thing. A friend went in a few weeks later and the SMP was priced correctly.