When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Making your own brand watch?

oursus

Hi there, everyone!

I've been here for many months but it's the first time to write here.

In fact, during my ebay search, I found a document(rather expensive though) which, admittedly, gives you a helpful info on the possibilitt of making your own watches through the chinese watch makers. Suprisingly, you can ask any type of watch that you like with very cheap price.

I would like to share your opinion on that document and if anyone already knows about it I will be very thankful for sharing your advice.

The link on the ebay is :

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRIVATE-LABEL-Watches-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

I would like to share your opinion on that document and if anyone already knows about it I will be very thankful for sharing your advice.

Well, I think this thread will be axed as spammish, but I've often wondered with the Frankentona skills shown by SO many members here, why you guys don't seriously consider going into the watch business yourself.

That is, to create a watch. Hey, if Alain Silberstain can, why not you?

Hi,

saw this on ebay many times, I personally find this sounding like a scam : you'll never be able at a personal level to have ONE or SOME watches manufactured for the indicated price levels, if any.

You wouldn't be member for a while, I would have suspected you of shilling for the people selling theses things on ebay. :mellow:

Don't be so pathetic on my request.

It seems to me that you didn't read the link where you can find, accordingly, some infos on finding chinese watch makers(probably same guys for the rep watches here) to whom you can ask them to make your own custumized watches.

In that link, I found a chinese styled dragon pattern of Tourbillon Breguet(no sign of BREGEUT brand name there) fantastic and I think, if the info is right, your can inscribe your own BRAND name why not your own name for example.

It would be the middle way between a rep watch and an expensive DIY one.

In any case, I just wonder if that info is reliable or not so I wanted to have the other members opinion on that possibility.

I hope that you would understand my intention.

Hi Oursus,

gave you my opinion after I followed the link, in all honesty. Shared my advice, as requested... Did you expect more ? Sorry then. :g:

I hardly see any interest in having my name on a "haute horlogerie style" watch. I keep this kind of funny thing for 20-30 dollars watches, where I can have my face on the dial as an extra.

277596-2084.jpg

You wouldn't be member for a while, I would have suspected you of shilling
What's pathetic in that ? :huh:

Dear Pix,

It wasn't you but the first one who left a reply rather pathetic in my sense. You've been just correct and kind enough.

Anyway, I found some watches in the link very charming let alone one can get it with that price.

http://www.maximilian-riedel.de/Katalog/201.jpg

I would go for a very Breguet styled but different in some aspect which can give an original look rather than a not-quite-similar Breguet Tourbillon.

I don't want to have my face on the watch either, of course.

Thanks

Edited by oursus

I should have changed the smiley in my first assertion :)

Well, I would stick to a well known brand rep (as these watches are obviously noname reps, nothing else), rather than trying to build my watch on demand, personally not being very sure about my own tastes in assembling this or that.

That reminds me a bit of the Pizzas you can order with anything you want on it... at the end you're more likely to have an indigestion than with a "tested" one (my favorite is the Napolitan one ! :D)

I like the Breguet style. Let's say I don't think it's worth paying "a lot" if you do not have the Breguet brand on the watch. At that time, better to stick to various "Breguet spirit" watches. Here's one of mine for instance. Paid 70 EUR on ebay.

277609-2083.jpg

I would love to own a Tourbillon. The cheapest I know from our dealers is something like 500 dollars. Too expensive and not sure if I can have that repaired if it fails. I am a bit suspicious about the prices mentionned on the ebay ad for Tourbillon watches.

I don't either like the idea of paying close to 200 dollars just for a catalogue.

Honestly, I am wondering how one could get in touch efficiently with a chinese manufacturer, knowing the communication problems we sometimes experience with our esteemed dealers. ^_^

:rolleyes:

I admit that the doc. on the ebay wouldn't be reliable after your opinion but I am still curious about the people's feedbacks which appeared in that link. I hardly found counter evidence in their remarks.

Anyhow, I appreciate your kind comments and your collection, too. They are very nice watches!

Contact Gunnar Gran about this.

He gained a lot of experience (he might say more than he ever bargained for or wanted) in working with Chinese manufacturers on the design and manufacture of a custom watch for the Replica Watch Guide, the forerunner to the Replica Watch Group.

In fact, that watch project, and the challenges that it posed, was one of the prime contributors to the schism that resulted in the launching of the Replica Watch Group.

If I recall, communications with the manufacturers was channeled through one of our distinguished dealers. And even with that assistance, the project was a [censored].

Ofrei sells all of the parts as a kit for you to "manufacture" your own Swiss watch. A couple of their 7750 chrono kits actually have beautiful cases. Price is a little high though....$650+++ for a 7750 kit that includes movement, case and crown, dial and hands. For that much, you can get a Hamilton, Tissot or Accutron 7750 chronograph.