When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kurt Klaus runs over some reps

yellomen

The old dude is the mastermind of IWC and the creator of the IWC perpetual calenders... and he runs over a pile of replicas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNb4lTXgig...ted&search=

I guess they have no clue about the incredibly good replicas of IWC that are being released this past year... i think if they would have a clue they would do more than let grandpa run over a few reps ;)

The old dude is the mastermind of IWC and the creator of the IWC perpetual calenders... and he runs over a pile of replicas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNb4lTXgig...ted&search=

I guess they have no clue about the incredibly good replicas of IWC that are being released this past year... i think if they would have a clue they would do more than let grandpa run over a few reps ;)

I couldnt agree more. What a ridiculously foolish gesture this is. Cant take that guy seriously anymore. But i guess some consider this as "cool".

Besides, grandpa should know some of the reps keep better time than his gens and are of NO less quality, at least nothing that would justify a 17 times higher price for the gen. If our reps only last a year I could buy a new one each year for seventeen years in a row and not having to worry about servicing.

So no discussion about the quality of the materials used. Seriously no ! I was able to compare the gen Cousteau with the rep side-by-side and there is no quality difference.

So maybe the movment is worth the gen...LOL, as if IWC would do much refinement or modification. If they would use a complete inhouse movment there was a point in arguing, but its still just a 7750.

JMHO.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: They will wake up one day and figure out just how "reppable" (new word) their watches are. If the rep maufacturers ever can reproduce the 8 day movement you can then make virtually any IWC you want. I suspect he might want to have a gander at my upcoming CD. ;) I just found out my GST chrono is better than the gen. IWC was too cheap to do an AR coat on that one. :lol:

That would be fantastic. I almost gave in and bought the gen. Thank god. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Dont wanna poop your thread totally but dont forget that the Chinese can only Rep .. they are yet to design anything good or of good quality. They are good at copying a quality watch such as IWC and is much lower cost because they spend 2 months just copying the product rather than years of experience and quality control designing and coming up with a new product. If they made their own brand and came up with products which were original and of excellent design then i would say right on!

also without the Gen's then the Reps wouldnt be so "cool"

The guy sells Valjoux based watches that cost him a few hundred to make for damm near 10 grand in some cases, and then says someone else is the crook? Whilst I like IWC designs they sell over priced fashion items just like every other swiss maker, and I have limited sympathy when the rep makers produce near the same watch for $249.

Kurt is about as animated as Lenin's corpse too, the assistant had to start and stop the roller.

R-

I absolutely appreciate the value of gens. But not when they can be so readily repped. There are a number of brands and movements which justify the gen expense. In general, IWC is not one. And yes, I am grateful for all the marketing dollars they have spent. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

On the movements - watch out. The latest tourbillon movement being produced in China is far more reliable than those from Patek and other premium brands. :) The few people I know who have owned Patek or Breguet tourbillons have either sold them, returned them or use them as paper weights. People who own the latest Chinese tourbillon appear to be much happier. Just remember there is no such thing as Swiss workers - just guest workers. No one there has actually worked in 20 years. :lol:

And on the design element just give it a little time. Look at how the Japanese started in cars. Now their designs outsell everyone.

... dont forget that the Chinese can only Rep .. they are yet to design anything good or of good quality.

how do you think the Japanese high tech industry evolved... in the 50's and 60's they copied European and American audio equipment and took it from there... the slowly became better than the original makers and improved the products beyond expectation.

Let's wait and see what they'll do to the watch industry :D

R-

I absolutely appreciate the value of gens. But not when they can be so readily repped. There are a number of brands and movements which justify the gen expense. In general, IWC is not one. And yes, I am grateful for all the marketing dollars they have spent. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

On the movements - watch out. The latest tourbillon movement being produced in China is far more reliable than those from Patek and other premium brands. :) The few people I know who have owned Patek or Breguet tourbillons have either sold them, returned them or use them as paper weights. People who own the latest Chinese tourbillon appear to be much happier. Just remember there is no such thing as Swiss workers - just guest workers. No one there has actually worked in 20 years. :lol:

And on the design element just give it a little time. Look at how the Japanese started in cars. Now their designs outsell everyone.

You've heard it all from me- the chrono hand falling off on a Patek 5960 I had for a short time ago, the incredibly expensive repair bill for a dropped Breguet... The only brand that hasn't really failed me as of yet is AP, having had so many pieces pass through my hands. The Ulysse Nardin Freak was also subject to a ton of problems with the movement, hearing from other owners, they had to stop production of the watch in order to free up the watchmakers in order to repair the pieces sent back to the factory!

Edited by thomasng

I couldnt agree more. What a ridiculously foolish gesture this is. Cant take that guy seriously anymore. But i guess some consider this as "cool".

Besides, grandpa should know some of the reps keep better time than his gens and are of NO less quality, at least nothing that would justify a 17 times higher price for the gen. If our reps only last a year I could buy a new one each year for seventeen years in a row and not having to worry about servicing.

So no discussion about the quality of the materials used. Seriously no ! I was able to compare the gen Cousteau with the rep side-by-side and there is no quality difference.

So maybe the movment is worth the gen...LOL, as if IWC would do much refinement or modification. If they would use a complete inhouse movment there was a point in arguing, but its still just a 7750.

JMHO.

IWC does tons of modification and refinement to their 7750 movements, in fact to all their ETA based movements...they are simply beautiful. If you'd ever seen one you'd agree. The gen IWCs are worth the money. Though the 3717 rep on my wrist is really damn good, the movement in the gen is incredible.

Yes look at the japanese car market - sure they are cheap and reliable and a blanket design that caters to the broad populus and have improved over the past 50 years ...

BUT

A Toyota still doesnt compare with a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Audi etc

its practicality and affordabilty pitched against quality, design, elegence and prestige

Agreed. Today a Lexus compares more than favorably with those brands it seeked to imitate and arguably has better aesthetic design than some of the current BMW's and certainly a better service record than Mercedes who until this year had one of the worst service records in the U.S. Hyundai had a better record here. It probably is a good analogy.

Yes look at the japanese car market - sure they are cheap and reliable and a blanket design that caters to the broad populus and have improved over the past 50 years ...

BUT

A Toyota still doesnt compare with a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Audi etc

its practicality and affordabilty pitched against quality, design, elegence and prestige

maybe not a toyota...but a Lexus compares to some of the mentioned brands...they don't have the TOP line of the brands that you mentioned...but as lexus can compare to 90% of the BMW-Mercedes-Audi models...

IWC does tons of modification and refinement to their 7750 movements, in fact to all their ETA based movements...they are simply beautiful. If you'd ever seen one you'd agree. The gen IWCs are worth the money. Though the 3717 rep on my wrist is really damn good, the movement in the gen is incredible.

Yup, there is very nice discussion on that subject on timezone - http://www.timezone.com/library/comarticle...681571896618891.

So, as much as I would like to be able to say that 3717 have plain and simple ETA 7750 - since I just upgraded my rep 3717 with swiss 7750 :thumbsupsmileyanim: - it's just not truth.

Also, last time I checked IWC DOES have a lot of in-house movements, and really nice ones I might add. So nothing is black-and-white.

regards