When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I would have to guess you are a regular on RWI, seeing that you only joined here yesterday...

Thanks for the kind words, I actually dream of 7750's and El Primero's at night, with visions of Super Lume dancing in my head.

I like to think I can hold my own with movement servicing, and also with lume applications...

Welcome aboard, I will have to click on your signature and find out about you, since you already know about me :)

RG

The Zigmeister,

yes i am a regular at rwi and despite past or preconceptions.

i am here to learn from masters such as yourself and Flavor Flav and anyothers whom ii have not heard of or met yet.

I have heard from fellow modders that this is the best board to get useful information and quality hand crafted parts.

Your work continues to amaze me.

Not possible to have closer pics, as it is now, the picture I showed is at least 4 times magnified from what the size of the watch is in person, so any variations you see are 4 times larger than they appear in real life. I see no purpose in showing a 10 times magnified view of the lume, when in person you can't even see details at this scale (unless your superman). You would have to step back from your monitor at least 10 feet, to see the watch at the same scale as it is seen in person, and at that distance, it looks fine...

The lume is applied one pin head drop size at a time, and anyone who has worked with Super Lume will tell you, it's very difficult to apply evenly, especially on such a large surface.

Consider the 4 times magnification of my picture, and the way lume works (you can't brush it on like paint, it's put on one drop at a time by hand), and given the area to be covered, I am very pleased with the results.

I challenge anyone to try applying lume by hand, and get anywhere near the same results as I did on this watch, the factory does it by when using a Silkscreen...think of my work as being a custom job, like a fine oil painting done by hand, instead of a run of the mill factory job.

I can apply lume very smoothly, on smaller parts, such as shown here...with a 20 times magnification.

Ask anyone who does lume, to post daylight pictures at the same magnification I do, daylight shows any and all defects, glow pictures are meaningless when it comes to quality of the lume application.

Here are daylight pictures of my work...I think they speak for themselves...

278624-1880.jpg

278624-1881.jpg

278624-1882.jpg

@ kruzer

Our tea is like our beer compared to american beer, it has some bite to it...

RG

i can speak from experince that i would not even attempt a job like the cousteau at this point.

hand application of lume requires a steady hand and a masterful touch.

these omega dials are superb.

do you use a applicator pen or just a oiler and lots of patience?

i can speak from experince that i would not even attempt a job like the cousteau at this point.

hand application of lume requires a steady hand and a masterful touch.

these omega dials are superb.

do you use a applicator pen or just a oiler and lots of patience?

Well I certainly don't consider myself a master by any means, just someone who enjoys working with his hands...

Indeed RWG is, and has always been in my opinion the best forum for watch talk, I am biased since I first joined the original RWG in Oct 2004.

All the lume I do is with a oiler, and a lot of patience, having been an oil painter artist for over 25 years probably helps me as well. Glad you like the results, I do as well...

RG

• 2 weeks later...

Rob you had balls of steel attempting this job and pulled it off flawlessly!! i am very impressed by this especially since i do this too day in and day out so i know what you went through and the amount of work involved.. a true masterpiece! i had a few requests for the same job and just had to reply with the old "i see, check with The Zigmeister" response :thumbsupsmileyanim: don't stop the good work!!

As much as I would like to take all the credit, as with a lot of the mods or upgrades I try out, it's really the owner of the watch that is the driving force.

A lot of these new upgrades are due to kruzer's persistance, and our close working relationship over the past 2 years. He knows I am willing to try anything, but we also have a mutual understanding that there is always a risk in trying this stuff, and we also both know that if it all goes for the [censored] and ends up ruining his watch, we accept that and I try and make the best of it.

I would never have tried this, or some of the other mods I have done, without his support and encouragement. If someone I had not worked with had asked me to attempt this, I would have declined, because I don't have the working relationship I do with kruzer.

So he gets as much credit as I do, no pressure, understanding that there is always risk but that I will do the best I can, that is how this is possible...

RG

Guest carlsbadrolex

The Zigmeister that is absolutely amazing! My best friend has the Gen and I have seen it in the dark, and I do not think that it compares to your work. In fact, I am going to request that he wear this watch Friday night when he comes over for card night. I will take some pics of the lume and post them or email them to you for comparison.

And those Omegas... Good God man, I would never guess that wasnt the GEN factory finish!!!

The Zigmeister you are the man! i have been waiting to see if this could be done before buying a cousteau, now looks like I will have to send Angus some more money....

Can you please comment on the over all build quality of the cousteau.

And could you please PM me what the cost for the lume service on the Cousteau will be.

thanx

Obviously, credit belongs where credit is due. The only credit I deserve is never accepting a no answer from Rob. He is too thoughtful to want to chance ruining someone else's watch. My approach is "that is why I bought a rep". :)

Ziggy's talents speak for themselves - a true watch smith with an artists soul. And I could not think of a better partner for experimentation. To his credit we have never had to junk one. Or maybe we have but I just don't remember. :lol: I knew never to worry when after months of begging I finally convinced Ziggy to do the full mods on an MBW. He had always been happy to do all the movement work he has been doing since childhood but to the best of my knowledge had stayed away from MBW type work on reps. In fairness I knew there wasn't much risk as I had seen the fabulous vintage work he has done for other older members of the forum. Having never touched an MBW he then proceeded to do "the full package" (everyone remember that one) in half the time and at half the price of anyone else.

By the way the CD sits on my wrist as I type this and I will testify it glows better and more evenly than the gen. Yes, I ran to the AD as soon as I got it back. I can live with that. :lol: Seriously, it makes the watch. So kudos to Rob. For me half the fun is dreaming up wacky projects and challenging Rob to do it. The watches I am most proud of are the ones that are unique in one way or another and Rob makes them that way. Whether it is the first Ziggified MBW, the fully lumed and transplanted CD, the last swiss transplanted Mellow Yellow or all of the many mods on the Davidsen vintage or original Honpo 2893's and Daylights All of his work is what makes them my most treasured watches. I must confess that I have bought more than one watch just to see what Rob can do with it, ;)

Ziggy you are the man! i have been waiting to see if this could be done before buying a cousteau, now looks like I will have to send Angus some more money....

Can you please comment on the over all build quality of the cousteau.

And could you please PM me what the cost for the lume service on the Cousteau will be.

thanx

PM sent.

Feedback on the Cousteau

Thanx for the PM The Zigmeister. I will follow up with you on this as soon as I get the Cousteau.

And thanx for the info on the build quality of this watch.

You are such an excellent resource for all RWG members, all the various moders definitely add to the RWG / rep-collecting experience, but your many reviews, tearing down of movements and breaking it down for us, is such a valuable resource to all of us pursuing this hobby

• 3 weeks later...

No, I am the one with a bunch hanging around. A half dozen installed and another 8-10 hanging around the house. You never know when you will need that next movement. :lol: I do already know where the next few are going though. :) I believe the person still sells them on ebay for reasonable prices though. I am not going to do it as I am still trying to rap up the gen PAM crown project but someone should organize it. In bulk you can buy them in the $150-175 range. They are 17j not 27 but they have all been in good shape and they are made at a time when the Swiss still made their own parts (late 80's).

Oh yes, now I remember. 150 seems like a good price. If I had money in excess, I would had gotten 10 of them aswell :)

Put one in the tag carrera and use the old rotor and you have a really perfect replica for around 350-400$. But then again the real deal sells for about 1.8k =)