When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pual Newman Daytona

bertieng

Now looking to get the PN Daytona. It seems that there are quite a number of different versions on the market. Any experts here can advise which one is the most accurate compared to the gen.? Thanks.

I actually did spent hours in doing the homework before raising the question, but the problem is that I ended up with more confusion.

I know you are one of the expert here on the PN Daytona, perhaps you can be kind enough to help me a bit?

1. My target is locked with 6263. It seems that DW has the best one but he is not opened for any PM's so what can I do to?

2. Will a gen dial fit the rep 7750 movt in case I decided to go for this investment?

3. Is DW's 6263 having the correct pushers and crown? If not, any chances to get the correct parts? And what is the T21?

4. In case if I can't get DW, will other dealers like Joshua, EL's 6263 fit for the above mods with the correct parts to make it close to the gen?

These questions may sound stipud, but I really am no expertise in these sophisticated watch mods. Hope you can spare a minute to help me out.

Thanks.

1. My target is locked with 6263. It seems that DW has the best one but he is not opened for any PM's so what can I do to?
Check offers I have one for sale :)

Will a gen dial fit the rep 7750 movt in case I decided to go for this investment?

No because of different subdial spacing. Case size will also be wrong. Also wrong movement, should not be automatic

Is DW's 6263 having the correct pushers and crown? If not, any chances to get the correct parts? And what is the T21?
T21 stands for Tropic 21. It is the code for the genuine crystal to put on the watch. You can get one for ~25 bucks. Crown/pushers correct I think but gen parts will fit the DW case

In case if I can't get DW, will other dealers like Joshua, EL's 6263 fit for the above mods with the correct parts to make it close to the gen?

Some might? Not sure.

Looks like Cray hit the questions with excellent detail, and may also have a good candidate to pick up :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yeah, Cray helped a lot to make me understand the PN more.

Don't know why all in a sudden fell in love with the PN, it just hit me with its beauty.

I am now having the gun point blank and ready to pull the trigger.

Ubi

Will the gen. crown fit the DW tube? Or I have to change both together? Any idea where I can get them?

Thanks.

Guest avitt
Yeah, Cray helped a lot to make me understand the PN more.

Don't know why all in a sudden fell in love with the PN, it just hit me with its beauty.

I am now having the gun point blank and ready to pull the trigger.

Ubi

Will the gen. crown fit the DW tube? Or I have to change both together? Any idea where I can get them?

Thanks.

Sit still, Randy...I'll take this one:

The gen crown won't fit on a DW tube. You'll need to replace the pair (it's a worthwhile upgrade). There are 7mm OEM crowns available on eBay. Tubes are a little harder to locate...I actually don't have a source for the genuine part. Two sources for aftermarket tubes are the eBay seller halfands, and Cousins Supply House in the UK. Cousins' website is clockspares.com.

Edited by avitt

The gen crown won't fit on a DW tube. You'll need to replace the pair (it's a worthwhile upgrade). There are 7mm OEM crowns available on eBay. Tubes are a little harder to locate...I actually don't have a source for the genuine part. Two sources for aftermarket tubes are the eBay seller halfands, and Cousins Supply House in the UK. Cousins' website is clockspares.com.

Thanks for the information, avitt.

I think the Cousins' tube will be more appropriated, right? The code # is 24-7030?

For the crown matter, is it that any 7mm OEM Rollie crown is correct for the PN? Or do I have to specify 24-703?

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks.

Is it a simple straight forward swapping on the DW 6263 vj23 case for the Cousins' tube, or is it necessary to redo the threads to fit?

And what stem should be used for the OEM 7mm crown to fit the DW vj23 movement?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Guest avitt

The tube is an easy swap, provided you have the right tools to unscrew the old tube, and screw in the new one. The threads are correct, and do not need to me modified.

The stem from your DW movement will fit into the gen. crown. The stem size is tap 10, or 0.9mm. If you need a new stem for DW's rep movement, I'm afraid your options may be limited. (My advice: if you decide to buy a replacement stem from DW, go ahead and get a movement to go with it...)

From my experience after speaking with Sherrington on the subject, the DW tubes aren't even glued into place. I confirmed this with my own DW after he told me about his experience on this mod. Sure enough, the tube came out with very little fuss, and the genuine or aftermarket tubes out there should thread right in (even though the thread pitch is slightly off between the two). The only instances of difficulty that I've heard of is with the base of the tube not fitting the case correctly, as it is tapered with a stepped edge at the threads where the case gasket fits. Halley brought this up in one of his postings, as he ended up cracking one of his tubes in half (same with Toni T).

36976-39102.jpg

As Avitt mentioned... The genuine crown fits the stem threads perfect. The stem's length should be fine with either crown (gen or the stock DW).

From my experience after speaking with Sherrington on the subject, the DW tubes aren't even glued into place. I confirmed this with my own DW after he told me about his experience on this mod. Sure enough, the tube came out with very little fuss, and the genuine or aftermarket tubes out there should thread right in (even though the thread pitch is slightly off between the two). The only instances of difficulty that I've heard of is with the base of the tube not fitting the case correctly, as it is tapered with a stepped edge at the threads where the case gasket fits. Halley brought this up in one of his postings, as he ended up cracking one of his tubes in half (same with Toni T).

Randy is right. The DW tubes come out easily and you don't need a special tool. Just stick a small rat tailed file in and just turn!! Also with my DW I did run the correct size tap down the threads and the Cousins one just fits right in. I also countersunk the hole slightly to take the taper on the new crown tube so it sits further into the hole and put loctite on the thread.

Randy is right. The DW tubes come out easily and you don't need a special tool. Just stick a small rat tailed file in and just turn!! Also with my DW I did run the correct size tap down the threads and the Cousins one just fits right in. I also countersunk the hole slightly to take the taper on the new crown tube so it sits further into the hole and put loctite on the thread.

Thanks guys for all the helps.

Isn't it quite dangerous if there is no suitable replacement stem available on the market? Surely the stem can be easily prone to damage in the tube/crown changing.

BTW, is it true that the gen 6263 dial won't fit the DW/gen vj23 movement becasue of different leg positions?

Will the lug holes on DW case accept gen springbars?

I come know that the end links now DW is fitting on the bracelet is "5678" i/o 571, is this OK and workable?

Please kindly help again. Thanks, the PN experts.

Edited by bertieng

Isn't it quite dangerous if there is no suitable replacement stem available on the market? Surely the stem can be easily prone to damage in the tube/crown changing.

BTW, is it true that the gen 6263 dial won't fit the DW/gen vj23 movement becasue of different leg positions?

Will the lug holes on DW case accept gen springbars?

I come know that the end links now DW is fitting on the bracelet is "5678" i/o 571, is this OK and workable?

Please kindly help again. Thanks, the PN experts.

I would be more concerned about the movement as a whole. As avitt mentioned, it would be wise to procure an extra movent to go with that spare stem, should you choose to obtain one. The movement is about as easy to find as the stem, if that's any indication, and you'll want to have a back up, just in case ;)

The lug holes, as they come are suitable for genuine 19mm springbars. They should not be drilled, as larger lug holes would be incorrect for this model.

571 end links are the correct pieces for cosmo's of this vintage using 78350 bracelets. Alternatively, 371's have also been known to be fitted; for earlier models (6239, 6241), the 7205 rivet with 71 ends were fitted, and early 70's models had 7835 folded links with 71H ends.

Hope this helps....

R

I would be more concerned about the movement as a whole. As avitt mentioned, it would be wise to procure an extra movent to go with that spare stem, should you choose to obtain one. The movement is about as easy to find as the stem, if that's any indication, and you'll want to have a back up, just in case ;)

The lug holes, as they come are suitable for genuine 19mm springbars. They should not be drilled, as larger lug holes would be incorrect for this model.

571 end links are the correct pieces for cosmo's of this vintage using 78350 bracelets. Alternatively, 371's have also been known to be fitted; for earlier models (6239, 6241), the 7205 rivet with 71 ends were fitted, and early 70's models had 7835 folded links with 71H ends.

Hope this helps....

R

Thanks Ubi.

But where to get a spare movement. I think it is no longer produced, right? Does it mean I have to buy an old watch and take out the vj23? I always have the question in mind that how does the 6:00 subdial hand fit since the vj23 only has 2 subdials. Is the 6:00 subdial hand glued onto the subdial?

How about the gen dial? Will it fit onto the vj23 movt?

Genuine dial will fit the movement, however the dial feet have to be removed (not a big deal). The more important aspect (at least to me) is that the subdials for 3:00/9:00 line up correctly. 6:00 is a dummy hand that is glued into place.

However, be aware that most so-called genuine dials are either repaints, or aftermarket pieces for V72/727 movements. True genuine dials are a small fortune in their own right; with all the repaints out there, any dials advertised as genuine original are most likely not what they seem.

As for where to obtain a spare movement... Why, DW of course!

Genuine dial will fit the movement, however the dial feet have to be removed (not a big deal). The more important aspect (at least to me) is that the subdials for 3:00/9:00 line up correctly. 6:00 is a dummy hand that is glued into place.

However, be aware that most so-called genuine dials are either repaints, or aftermarket pieces for V72/727 movements. True genuine dials are a small fortune in their own right; with all the repaints out there, any dials advertised as genuine original are most likely not what they seem.

As for where to obtain a spare movement... Why, DW of course!

Thanks Ubi for your comments.

BTW, I learned that you have the rivet brecelet to go with your Rollie, does the original 6263 came with this kind of bracelet? And will the one on the bay you mentioned fits DW's 6263 case coz the it has a lug width of 20mm.

Guest avitt

Riveted bracelets are correct for pre-oyster cosmographs, but I believe that they were only used on the PN and gold versions of the 6263. If you prefer one, you'll need to find a 19mm version.