When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836-2 w/o seconds hand equivalent?

So I can't stop staring at the my new MBK Patek Nautilus Jumbo, which is as amazing as everyone says, except whilst staring I am bugged by the seconds hand that should not be there. I'm sure a watchsmith could work some cannon pin magic to make the watch work w/o a seconds hand, but since I can remove and install hands, uncase a movement, etc, I'm thinking I could do the fix myself if there is an ETA movement w/ the same diameter, thickness, and hands size as the 2836-2 but does not have sweep seconds. Just drop that baby right in, which may even be cheaper and easier than a mod in the long run once you figure sourcing the parts, labor, and maybe even selling the 2836-2 if the movement is swapped.

Now that I think about it, I guess an asian movement would work, too, provided the size/hands issue doesn't come into play, since there will be no choppy seconds hand chopping away.

If there is such an animal maybe a small group buy for Nautilus-Jumbo-owning anal retentives would be a good idea?

So I can't stop staring at the my new MBK Patek Nautilus Jumbo, which is as amazing as everyone says, except whilst staring I am bugged by the seconds hand that should not be there. I'm sure a watchsmith could work some cannon pin magic to make the watch work w/o a seconds hand, but since I can remove and install hands, uncase a movement, etc, I'm thinking I could do the fix myself if there is an ETA movement w/ the same diameter, thickness, and hands size as the 2836-2 but does not have sweep seconds. Just drop that baby right in, which may even be cheaper and easier than a mod in the long run once you figure sourcing the parts, labor, and maybe even selling the 2836-2 if the movement is swapped.

Now that I think about it, I guess an asian movement would work, too, provided the size/hands issue doesn't come into play, since there will be no choppy seconds hand chopping away.

If there is such an animal maybe a small group buy for Nautilus-Jumbo-owning anal retentives would be a good idea?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry279312

Upon close inspection of my AP RO Jumbo (which has no seconds hand), I notice that the seconds hand is actually there, it's just been cut off. The only thing left is the little round part of the seconds hand. I can see it ticking away under a loupe.

So, one could conceivably do the same for the Nautilus. I am thinking of doing it, but with another seconds hand just in case I mess the job up.

I think that when I rotate the crown counter clockwise, I do not feel a clicking, thus I think that the movement does not have a day function, thus it is a 2824. I have not opened the watch up yet though.

you could always carefully clip the tip of the fourth wheel, once the dial, hands, hour wheel, and cannon pinion are removed. You may be able to order a Cannon Pinion that is solid at the top for no seconds. I was mis-shipped one for a 2892-2 from Jules borel. went to install on the movement, and it wouldn't go on, upon inspection, I noticed the end of the cannon pinion was solid and domed on top. I don't know if they made no sweep second models based on the 2801 movement. If they do, just order the cannon pinion and install. You will have a nice solid domed tip on the cannon pinion. similar to the panerai.

you could always carefully clip the tip of the fourth wheel, once the dial, hands, hour wheel, and cannon pinion are removed. You may be able to order a Cannon Pinion that is solid at the top for no seconds. I was mis-shipped one for a 2892-2 from Jules borel. went to install on the movement, and it wouldn't go on, upon inspection, I noticed the end of the cannon pinion was solid and domed on top. I don't know if they made no sweep second models based on the 2801 movement. If they do, just order the cannon pinion and install. You will have a nice solid domed tip on the cannon pinion. similar to the panerai.

I just did a quick cross reference check on the Jules Borel site. It looks like the 2804-2 is available with or without sweep. If you want to go that route, your best bet would be to find out the length of the current cannon pinion you have, then call Jules Borel, and order one of the same length but with the domed top for no sweep seconds.