When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750 vs Asian 7750

tmark

The Zigmeister highly recommends the new asian 7750. Is there a way to tell the new from the old? As I understand it the new will work well in a chrono where as the old may have been overtaxed?? I could of course be totally wrong---(quite likely)

what do the experts say?

thanks

mark

The Zigmeister has changed his opinion of the new one somewhat since his initial review. Apparenly he has since seen several examples where the pallette jewels have become detached rendering the movement junk if the jewel cannot be retrieved and re-attached as the pallette arm is not interchangeable with the genuine 7750 design.

Ziggy has changed his opinion of the new one somewhat since his initial review. Apparenly he has since seen several examples where the pallette jewels have become detached rendering the movement junk if the jewel cannot be retrieved and re-attached as the pallette arm is not interchangeable with the genuine 7750 design.

Well I would not go as far as to say I have changed my mind, but have discovered some problems - that I fix during a normal service. So there is a problem with the pallet stones, but once glued in place the problem is fixed.

Otherwise, I think the movement is very good, much better than the old one for sure.

As for the difference, here is a cut and past from this same question that was answered in my subforum a while back.

Have a look under watch repair, ziggyzone, and the Q&A area and also the main section with the toomstone posts, many of the tech questions are already addressed and covered.

Here is a genuine ETA 7750, a watch with one of these is going to be $500 or more…

37482-39007.jpg

Here is the OLD Asian copy, any watch under $500 probably has this model, look at the finish, it’s very shiny and chrome looking…Asian is the one on the right, the ETA is on the left

OLD Asian on RIGHT

37482-39008.jpg

Here is the NEW Asian 7750, note the finish is close to the one of the ETA 7750, but there are some differences, the balance wheel hairspring is attached with a stud and there are no markings on the movement.

NEW Asian 7750

37482-39009.jpg

This is an ETA movement, balance hairspring is attached with removable stud, and there are markings on the movement and the fine regulator is there also on the balance [censored]…

ETA 7750

37482-39007.jpg

And this is the NEW Asian copy, compare the two and you can see the differences…

Asian 7750

37482-39009.jpg

37482-39012.jpg

The real test is to ask the dealer if the movement is new or old asian, if it’s a ETA, then the price should tell you, your not likely to get a real ETA 7750 in a watch under $500…

RG

RG

Great Post The Zigmeister !

I wish more people would take the time to read your greatly detailed information regarding the watches

we all love, and some love to hate.

If they did, some of these rumors, which are passing as facts, resulting in some fine watches being

dragged through the mire, would turn up less frequently, or be more quickly corrected.

I do have one myself that I would like answered here if possible.

Seems many dealers do not know or not telling if their movement are new or old...

can you tell us from your experience, if not which dealers, which models seem to be

holding the newer movt.s ?

Thanks in advance !

I do have one myself that I would like answered here if possible.

Seems many dealers do not know or not telling if their movement are new or old...

can you tell us from your experience, if not which dealers, which models seem to be

holding the newer movt.s ?

Thanks in advance !

I will offer what I have seen in watch models, more so than the actual dealers, since I can't say for sure nor do I ask what dealer sold what watch I am working on...and I want to remain unbiased in my comments and reviews.

Every Daytona with running seconds at 6 has had the new Asian 7750 in it.

Every IWC model I have worked on has the new Asian 7750 in it.

I have not seen the new Asian 7750 in any other models, or in PAM's specifically, such as the 188/196 etc...

So, IWC models and running seconds at 6 Daytona's are the only ones I know about...with the new movement.

RG

Maybe we should give the the new Asian Chronograph movement a name of its own?

What about using the name Cal. 8850 or better Millionsmart 8850 as it differs from the ETA7750

I have read and found this:

"ETA Valjoux 7750 automatic chronograph replica commonly referred to by internet retaillers as 'Automatic Cal. 8850' or Millionsmart 8850"

"Million Smart Enterprises have been offering these Cal. 8850 for a couple of years. Although Million Smart are based in Kowloon, their manufacturing is done in Shenzhen. Unclear is whether Million Smart manufacture their own movements or finish ebauches bought from other factories or if this movement has undergone a couple of revisions (including new dial layouts), so it is said to be edging towards being a calibre in its own right rather than simply a copy of the Valjoux. I guess that is what The Zigmeister has told and shown us earlier."

Pictures of the 8850

http://www.anyboard.net/rec/wusimages/uploads/DSCF5282.JPG

http://www.anyboard.net/rec/wusimages/uploads/DSCF5283.JPG

http://www.anyboard.net/rec/wusimages/uploads/DSCF5284.JPG

Whew ! Thanks... You Two ! :D

We can finally separate at least one Asian 7750 that's a true value when compared to the price of Swiss.

I still wonder however, if there lies further sub-divisions, that we can pinpoint,

as to why some old model 7750s are running strong after at least a 1.5 years,

while other's seem to die just after receipt.

I know some of it, is due to lack of consumer knowledgability on watches in general,

chronographs especially, and the Asian 7750 in particular.

Does this make any old 7750 that has stood the test of time, another source of lower risk

gems in the aftermarket forums, including non-chronograph models ?

On the other side,...I wonder if we can do a swap out ? From old to new..

There has to be a few avenues of these available.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to buy any multi-capability required watch you wanted,

without concern to it's reliability or it's price ?