When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

intresting OMEGA moon watch article .

Wow,, the real one disappeared in transit to the Smithsonian Museum. Damn,,,who could it be.

reminds me of this story:

James Jamerson's "Funk Machine"

Jamerson was a big player in the session world. Between 1963-68, he played on a great deal of hit singles by Motown's finest, including Marvin Gaye, The Jackson Five, Stevie Wonder, The Isley Brothers, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, the Four Tops and Jimmy Ruffin.

His credits include My Girl, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, Where Did Our Love Go, For Once In My Life, Dancing In The Streets, Standing In The Shadows Of Love, You Can't Hurry Love, My Cherie Amour, The Tracks Of My Tears, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Please Mr. Postman, Stop! In The Name Of Love, What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted, Reach Out...I'll Be There and I Want You Back .

His instrument of choice throughout his career was a 1962 Fender® P-Bass® with a sunburst finish. On the heel of the bass's neck, Jamerson had carved the word "funk" into the wood, and the guitar that produced more hits than any other in history was officially dubbed the "Funk Machine." To most other musicians, that bass was unplayable. Jamerson kept his action very high, and his neck was bowed due to lack of truss rod maintenance. He rarely cleaned his guitar, and he never cleaned the fretboard. To Jamerson, the sweat and dirt on the bass was the secret of his sound, the essence of the funk.

His nickname among his friend was "The Hook" because of his distinct and inimitable two-fingered playing style.

Just days before Jamerson died in 1983, the Funk Machine was stolen from his house. To this day, it still has not resurfaced. There are stories of bassists who stumble across a '62 P-Bass in pawn shops who then take them home and unscrew the neck plate, hoping to find the word "funk." It's become a legend - the holy grail of all basses.