When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the white dial Steelfish supposed to be off white?

Shabber

Looking at the gen's it seems the steelfish with the white dials are actually off-white? I was considering one of Ruby's and was going to pic a different color if the white is completely wrong.

Looking at the gen's it seems the steelfish with the white dials are actually off-white? I was considering one of Ruby's and was going to pic a different color if the white is completely wrong.

most of them have the wrong colour i think.. i saw the blue one from rolexman's pic and compared it to my rep.. the colour in rolexman's is a bit darker in colour.. so the only one left i guess is black.. but im not sure how that compares with the gen :) i hope this helps

Genuine "white" SFSO (the model is actually called 'silver') comes with champagne/beige color dial, but the color changes with angle of light. Also there's this 'electric' effect of concentric circles on the dial, so it's never the same...but definitely NOT white.

Blue dial is a peculiar one...I've seen the one on leather band @ my AD last week, and the color changed from deep blue to a very light electric blue - much lighter than the blue rep dial. Again, it all depends on angle of viewing and intensity/type of light.

Black dial is again not black in gen, it's more like anthracite/charcoal color. The rep photos I've seen of the black SFSO show much darker black dial color, but I could be wrong, as I've never held black SFSO in my hand.

I'd go for the blue dial SFSO, I believe it's the closest one of the three.

...just my 2 cents worth.

babola

Edited by babola

It was a question i posed a while ago after looking at the gen in an AD, and the general consensus it that it is off white, from all the photos i have seen the reps look white but are in fact off to the creamy side of white. Pugwash may be able to explain why this looks like it is in the photos or be able to capture the real colour but then it would also depend on how the colours are set up on your computer and monitor.

It was a question i posed a while ago after looking at the gen in an AD, and the general consensus it that it is off white, from all the photos i have seen the reps look white but are in fact off to the creamy side of white. Pugwash may be able to explain why this looks like it is in the photos or be able to capture the real colour but then it would also depend on how the colours are set up on your computer and monitor.

Spot on, and we shouldn't forget about digicam's 'white balance' settings either. Most of them use a default WB, which sometimes doesn't depict shades of white color correctly. One of the examples of 'out-of-whack' WB are Panerai watches, most of their dial numerals and indices come across as crisp white color on photos, where in real life they're actually more cream than white. :whistling:

cheers,

babola

You won't regret it!! When I was shopping for my gen SFSO I wanted a black dail version. But when I saw the off-white/silverish dail I got that 1 instead. I kinda fell in love with it. :wub:

So get the white 1...... It won't dissapoint you.

You know i might have to get a white one now

I have two favourite reps now, the white Steelfish and my new Explorer II. The Steelfish is off at The Zigmeisters being serviced and superlumed, the lume is the only thing that gives it away really.

I'm sad every day it's away!

Pugwash may be able to explain why this looks like it is in the photos or be able to capture the real colour but then it would also depend on how the colours are set up on your computer and monitor.

In a lot of my photos, the Superocean Tinhaddock will look white or cold-grey. This is because I process the living crap out of the photos and try to capture what I see and feel, not what the camera captures. Also, if you set the white balance on the dial, it'll lower the WB temp.

In the first picture, you'll see a close-to-correct colour. In the second, you'll see a lot of photoshop. :D

285656-8645.jpg

285656-8646.jpg

I make no apologies for my incorrect colours as I'm not selling watches here.