When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Franken Sub!

Dizzy

Well i received my oyster caseback opener tool today to i decieded to perform surgery on a box of old busted Submariner reps i have. I had no idea what i was doing but after 3 hours i have a watch that actually works LOL

I took an old swiss rep case (8 yrs old and good date mag and deep straight rehaut) and filed down the crown guards. I then put in an old Asian Sub dial and movement that still works well. I took the crown tube off another swiss case to replace the stripped one on the project watch. My only problem is that when i take the swiss crown and install the Asian movement stem onto it, its then too short. So instead of using a really really good old swiss rep crown i am using the asian bigger crown with asian stem. Oh well.. i was just amazed that it works HAHAHA!!

I am gunna save the swiss crown and ETA stem for another project. Its very close to gen and not wide like all the new reps. I wonder if this old crown will fit onto my ETA Noobmariner i have... hmmmmm :g:

would be a good excuse to mod them pesky crown guards... hehe

I would post a pic of what i just built but i dont have a digi camera here right now. I'll try to take some pics later in the week

Cheers

Lonnie

Edited by L-dizzle

i just pulled my crown and tube on the Noob and modded the inner guards! HAHA I'm getting brave now! I tried the old swiss crown but it doesnt sit close enough to the case (about 1mm gap) when tight... hhmmm.. countersink the tube i guess hey?

Seems like becasue the crown is thinner, it wont screw down all the way and bet the end of the tube is hitting the inside of the crown (the original tube from this crown is all stripped)

maybe i can file off some of the end of the tube...

back to the work bench.. haha

Lonnie

i'd strongly suggest removing the movement before filing the tube....you dont want to get filings into the movement =)

I did ;) forgot to mention it though.. im far too excited right now to remember ALL the details ha ha ha

Lonnie